Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Modding Tornado  (Read 227938 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Modding Tornado
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2018, 12:11:11 PM »

This is the 80th mod/hack/post of Tornado. What's next? Hopefully another 20 mods so that I can make it 100 Tornado mods/hacks/posts before I retire this old bird of a combat flight simulator.

:worship
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »
81.  When in an external view, the E-Scope display can be toggled on/off by pressing the 3 key

Mod: Weapons View with roll angle
By Frankie
Description: The E-Scope display is a pretty nifty tool when flying nap of the earth. One of the hallmarks of this classic flight simulator is its range of autopilot modes. Depending upon the mode selected, the autopilot will take control of your altitude (ALT), your heading (HDG) and your Indicated Air Speed (IAS). In Tornado, five(!) autopilot modes are available:
  • Track
  • Altitude/Heading Acquire
  • Terrain Follow
  • Approach
  • Autothrottle

The E-Scope is modeled in Digital Integration's Tornado in the Pilot's cockpit as well as the modded full-screen HUD of Mod#38.

Two examples of E-Scopes already in the simulation. Left is stock Tornado. Right is modded Tornado.

When you are in an external view, IF you are brave enough to hit the Escape button to cancel an autopilot mode, it would be very helpful indeed if you could see how far above the ground your Tornado is. With this mod, whenever you are in any of these views - Tracking View (F1), Reverse View (F2), Flyby View (F3), Spectator View (F4), Drone View (F5) - you can press the 3 key to toggle the E-Scope display on and off. The E-Scope appears at the bottom right corner of the screen. Like so:

Buzzing the runway. You can see the E-Scope display at the bottom-right of the screen.

Climbing up a slope.

This is the code that allow you to toggle the E-Scope on and off when in an external view.

Levelling off at the peak.

Zooming down the mountain!

I think that the E-Scope is unobtrusive where it is, tucked away in corner. If you find it distracting, just hit the 3 key and it disappears. If you enjoy flying in Tracking View (F1) to enjoy or explore the Tornado scenery, you might want to enable the E-Scope just to keep tabs on the ground. After all, you wouldn't want to crash a 22-million Pound Sterling aircraft into the ground.

In my humble opinion, this mod HISTORIC because it is the FIRST TIME that an external view in Tornado has an overlay display, and a very useful one at that. It would be very interesting to consider and explore the possibility of overlaying, on demand, other displays. For example, one could consider the Moving Map display or the Waypoint Reference Map display as examples.

Note: as the 3 key is used for the E-Scope, you might realise that the Hill Textures on/off toggle (3 key) is no longer active with this mod. The turn off Hill Textures thingy is a throwback to the early 1990s. Back then PCs were slow. Every bit of extra texture hidden or turned off contributed to a faster framerate. Since we are now in 2018, I don't think we need the Hill Textures on/off toggle feature. It has been sacrificed for the greater good.

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE file.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:01:52 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
82.  When in an external view, multiple mini-displays can be toggled on/off in sequence by pressing the 3 key

Mod: Multi-mini displays with external views
By Frankie
Description: This mod is an extension of Mod#81. This time, repeatedly pressing the 3 key, when in any external view, will cycle through the following mini-windows:
  • Map display
  • Waypoint flight path display
  • Moving Map Reference display
  • Radar display - Ground Radar
  • Autopilot modes display
  • Instruments Landing System (ILS) display
  • Blank (no mini-windows)
Each mini-window is accompanied by the E-Scope display which is located at the lower-right corner of the screen. See screenshots below.

The Map display. You can compare the 2D terrain with the 3D models represented by the external view.

The Route Waypoints display. Complimented by the waypoint countdown located at the bottom-left of the screen.

The Moving Map display. You can created 'T' waypoints (Targets of Opportunity) and see how the Tornado responds in 3D.
This display is mouse-enabled.

The Ground Radar display. Useful for night missions and for creating 'T' waypoints (Targets of Opportunity).
This display is mouse-enabled.

The Autopilots mode display. Useful to see this data panel when you are lazily enjoying the scenery.

The ILS display. Now you can see how your Tornado lands with respect to the moving bands of the ILS.

I hope that you find this mod useful. For whatever circumstance of the game. Perhaps you can now enjoy the external visuals whilst keeping an eye on the waypoints or auto-pilot speeds. The Tornado purist will undoubtedly play Tornado without any of these visual 'aids'. Whatever the case, I hope you have fun with the mod version. Combining an external view with Tornado visual panel instrumentation and avionics visuals has never been done since Tornado was released in 1993 for the PC.

All mini-windows are accompanied by the E-Scope display (bottom-right corner).
Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:09:15 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
83.  When in an external view, multiple mini-displays can be cycled through forwards and backwards with 3 and Shift+3

Mod: Multi-mini displays in external views - can be cycled through back and forth
By Frankie
Description: This mod is an extension of Mod#82. This time, repeatedly pressing the Shift+3 key, when in any external view, will reverse cycle through the mini-windows. This is a usability improvement. Note: this feature only works with the IDS Tornado, not the ADV Tornado.

There is much satisfaction in seeing how Digital Integration, in 1993, managed to model the ground Radar which synced,
down to the split-second, with the outside 3D world and its objects (lake, road, bridge, military objects, armoured carriers, etc.)

The advantage of this additional code is that now the user need not cycle through a long series of displays in a one-way direction. Instead, the ease of cycling one way, and in the reverse way, makes for a convenient and easy to use interface for displaying the TV-TAB or MFD of the gamer's choice.

Above is the code that does the cycling forwards (key 3) and backwards (Shift+3)

My cycling back and forth is a wee bit too fast - but you will get the idea.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:16:48 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »
84.  More cinematic possibilities with TV-Tab FLIR and TIALD views in External Views

Mod: TV-Tab FLIR and TIALD views in External Views
By Frankie
Description: I managed to add the TV-Tab FLIR and TIALD views to the external views! Download the below FLIGHT.71 and rename to FLIGHT.EXE. Then copy it to your installed TORNADO's folder. Once inside, hit any of the external views (F1, F2, F3, F4 or F5) and then hit 3 or Shift+3 repeatedly for a BIG, NICE SURPRISE.

Perhaps a Youtube video would persuade you that this is possibly the best thing that has ever happened to this 25-year old flight simulator. Enjoy!

Attached is the FLIGHT.EXE file.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
85.  Split-screen FLIR display

Mod: Split-screen FLIR display
By Frankie
Description: This mod is an extension of Mod#84. When you hit the 3 key, an additional three objects will cycle sequentially:
1. TV-Tab sized FLIR display (top left of screen)

A FLIR picture inside a Tracking View picture. Try hitting F3, F4 or F5 for a surprise.

2. Half-screen sized set to a FLIR display (top half) and external view (bottom half) which you can change to F1, F2 F3 or F4 views.

Half-screen FLIR in action. Bottom half of screen is an interchangable external view.

More split-screen stuff. Now I can see both directions at once from my Tornado!
Looking forwards and looking backwards at the same time.

Bottom half of the screen is the Drone view. What this means is that you can now watch an ingress to the
target area from both your Tornado's and your wingmen's perspective. Endless possiblities.

3. Full-screen FLIR display which is steerable but without a HUD

Full screen FLIR view.

The whole idea of split screen was serendipity. Initially I wanted to have the map view overlapping the tracking view just to enjoy the Tornado 3D scenery and landscapes. So one thing lead to another and I discovered that Kevin already had the half screen display coded in the simulation. For example,  when you are in the Pilot's cockpit view (Home), the top half of the screen is half-screen height. So I just created an illusion of split-screen by overlapping a half-screen display on top of a full-screen display. So far the assembly language code is holding up. Occasionally I do see some horizontal black bar lines at the top left of the screen which is visually irritating, but does not impair the rest of the gameplay

So now the full complement of mini-windows initiated by hitting F1 key followed by 3 or Shift+3 is:
1.   Map display
2.   Waypoint flight path display
3.   Moving Map Reference display
4.   TV-Tab sized FLIR display (top left of screen)
5.   Half-screen sized set to a FLIR display (top half) and external view (bottom half) which you can change to F1, F2 F3 or F4 views.
6.   Full-screen FLIR display which is steerable but without a HUD

7.   Radar display - Ground Radar
8.   Autopilot modes display
9.   Instruments Landing System (ILS) display
10. Blank (no mini-windows)

I think it is fantastic that 25 years later, the Tornado assembly language code is able to "multitask" and produce
stunning visuals as these. Only possible with low-level programming and x86 ASM.

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE. Enjoy.

So in summary, with this split-screen feature, Tornado now joins the ranks of console games like Super Mario Kart and Goldeneye 007. Just kidding. Until my next mod, have fun.

UPDATE 2ND AUGUST 2018
I decided that the only way I could make the split-screen FLIR view useful was if I added an iron gunsight to the view. I find this preferable to a blank centre (see below) - which is rather hard to steer due to the lack of a visual reference point. The only time a visual cue is available is when I bank the Tornado hard left or right.

The only visual cue moments are when the Tornado is banking to the side. Other times, it's just a centre devoid of any cues.

The iron gunsight is also better than this ... an alien-like strange blob of green in the centre (see below) - which is the Tornado's cockpit viewed from slightly above.

One way of giving a visual reference for steering - show the top of the cockpit.

IMHO, the gunsight gives the gamer a visual reference point and it is practical if one decides to go on a strafing run. Even though the gunsight appears, you have to explictly hit the Alt+Enter key to arm the Mauser cannon.

Gunsight in the split-screen comes in handy when shooting soft targets.

Here's what the split-screen looks like now. See the Youtube video below.

Getting hammered by AAA and SAMs. The action is fast and furious. It would help if I could change the colour of the
AAA tracer. As it is now, the Mauser shells and the AAA (ZSU-23-4) shells show up in yellow colour.

I have updated the FLIGHT.EXE file.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 02:43:17 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »
86.  Split-screen FLIR display with working HUD in top-half of screen

Mod: Split-screen FLIR display with working HUD
By Frankie
Description: Teaser. I managed to add the HUD into the top-half of the split-screen (activated with the 3 key, hit multiple times).
Work in progress. FLIGHT.EXE attached for you to try out. Slight bugs: cannon shells firing slightly below the ironworks gunsight; minor graphics glitch (not a deal-breaker) when running FLIGHT.EXE with the production Tornado installed with the CD-ROM or installation diskettes;

Bottom-half of screen shows the ZSU-23-4 to Tornado view

Video demo of work in progress. Hope to iron out the bugs by the weekend.

Lotsa action in this one. Wonders of assembly language - I am flying around in top-half of the screen,
and panning and changing the pitch of the horizon in the bottom half of the screen.

Attached is the working (WIP) FLIGHT.EXE. Cheers.

Update 4th Aug 2018
Previous FLIGHT.EXE had a bug with the V key (Weapons key) causing some graphic glitches in the Pilot Panel view and the F1 Tracking view where the Tornado disappears. Solve with this version of FLIGHT.EXE.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:37:23 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »
87.  Weapon View ('v' key) horizon can be adjusted up or down - works great with the Split-screen feature
Mod: Weapon View ('v' key) horizon is now adjustable
By Frankie
Description: Previously the Weapon View's pitch was static - i.e., non adjustable. I couldn't figure out where or how to adjust the pitch so that I could see more of the sky and less of the ground. In other words I couldn't shift the horizon. This became a problem because when I was in the split-screen view (F1 followed by key 3 - see Mod#86), the view of the ALARM missile (i.e., the Weapon) was partially hidden. See below:

I have fired off an ALARM missle in Direct mode. And I hit the Weapons key (V). Where is the missile?
It's mostly hidden because it's at the fault-line between the two horizontal halves of the screen!

You can see about 1/3 of the missile. It's plume of orange is clear to see. So I knew I had to solve the problem of the
Weapons View static horizon.

Here is the stock code of the UpdateWeapons label section.

Here's the code I used to solve the problem. The critical code are lines 2959 and 2960.
The code from lines 2945 to 2957 allow me to adjust the horizon up and down.

So the last thing to do is to test the modified Weapons View. Here's what the split-screen looks like now. The Weapons View is below.

Raining down death from above.

ALARM missile homing in onto its target and slicing through the air.

Success!

Note: to go to the split-screen, I have now made it easier. Hit F1 (Tracking View) followed by either ']' (right square bracket) or '[' (left square bracket) keys to cycle through the modified views which originated from Mod#83. To directly go back to the Tracking View WITHOUT any TV-Tab or overlaid MFD mini-windows, hit the "3" key. This should make your life easier. ENJOY!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:54:30 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
88.  Split-screen FLIR display with overlaid TV-Tab display and MFD (assembly language multi-tasking)
Mod: Split-screen FLIR, TV-Tab and MFD Combo in top-half of the screen
By Frankie
Description: Assembly language multitasking. Did you ever think that the Tornado code could show so many things on the screen at the same time? Now the permutations of cinematic screenshots and learning tools has been ramped up.

Here are some examples:

1. If landing the Tornado is your thing, you can enable this screen where you have the ILS system on the MFD whilst watching your Tornado glide towards the runway.

Landing never was my strongest skill in Tornado. Now I get to learn better and faster with the multi-tasking split screen.

2. Using the mouse-activated Reference Map.

Nice.

3. Laser Guided bombs with all the full details with adjustable angles

There's something very satisfying about seeing your LGB1000 hit the target from at least two simultaneous views.

4. Observe your wingmen or allies do their thing as you fly in mission

Lots of activity over the combat air zone.

Note: to go to the split-screen, I have now made it easier.

1. Hit F1 (Tracking View) ...
2. ...followed by either ']' (right square bracket to cycle forwards) or
3. ... '[' (right square bracket to cycle backwards) - which seems more user-friendly and logical since '[' comes before ']',
to step through the modified views.

To directly go back to the Tracking View WITHOUT any TV-Tab or overlaid MFD mini-windows, hit the "3" key.

The Tornado code is a workhorse. So many possibilities.

What this mod does.

I have RE-attached the latest FLIGHT.EXE as of 5th Aug 2018, 9:07am Kuala Lumpur time.
I have thoroughly tested this version.
No graphics issues.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:17:07 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
Just a lazy flight across the rolling European landscape. Flying mainly via auto-pilot across the plains and hills. If you like to multi-task, and have twenty minutes to spare, this video I uploaded to Youtube is for you. The two split-screen views plus the top-left TV TAB/MFD views give a challenge to the eye and brain as there is so much detail flashing every split-second.

Perhaps one day we can do the same for the desert dunes of Operation Desert Storm.

Video created from the modded FLIGHT.EXE with added 'split-screen' view. Truth be told, I just overlapped a 96-pixel height view on top of a 198-pixel height view to give an illusion of a split-screen. Actually it was not so simple. I had to angle the Tornado in the lower-half of the screen so that it would be fully visible.

Easily my favourite moment of the video. Flying over an expanse of water. Map, forward looking view and the external views are perfectly synchronised. 2D and 3D in perfect harmony. No visible lag in frame rates. Kudos to the original 16-bit assembly language source code, written by the then Lead Programmer Kevin J. Bezant!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:07:08 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2018, 08:05:23 AM »
89.  Zero-fuel immunity against Infra-red seeking SAMs.
Mod:
By Frankie
Description: In the stock game, a Tornado in a zero-fuel situation would still be targetted by enemy Infra-Red seeking SAM sites. If you were gliding towards earth, your Tornado would be a sitting duck for enemy SAMs.

Just two lines of code is enough.

In this mod, I simply detect for zero kg of fuel, whereby the "no lock detection by IR missiles" setting would be set to on. So in a zero-fuel situation, your Tornado is no longer targeted by SAMs. Your Tornado is now free to glide and land on any runway or road unmolested by SAMs.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:48:52 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »

SAM-testing already was done, now the new code had to be tested for AAA (not interfering) and for enemy fighters still firing radar guided missiles and cannon bullets, which they still do (off screen in other test flights).

This landing attempt was sabotaged by an air-to-air missile hitting the runway in front. Couldn't do anything about it so close to stalling, so i  collided with the crater.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »
Apparently the modded code is not very kind to the ADV F3 Tornado in the simulation. See 2:31 and 4:16.

I notice the two vertical black lines on the left of the screen. Sigh.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
I found something regarding our no-fuel-still-IR-trackable question. Apparently it was part in the A-Team movie, which i did not watch yet.

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-fighter-jet-evade-a-heat-seeking-missile-simply-by-turning-off-the-engines-and-coasting-along-until-the-missile-goes-astray

So apparently using afterburner will make this mod useless, but still cool you  -Mod-Master Frankie!!- could do it.
I wasn't sure about the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong heat dissipating time in midair.
In the link above is LOTS information about modern heat seeking missile dodging techniques, too.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2018, 01:52:19 AM »
90.  Split-screen top-half-screen FLIR's HUD now has a superimposed RWR symbology

Mod: Functional RWR for split-screen FLIR HUD
By Frankie
Description: I felt that the split-screen FLIR could do with the RWR symbols showing it is HUD. After some sleuthing, I managed to nail down the code that is responsible for displaying this RWR display:

Source file PILOTPAN.ASM's UpdateRWR procedure is responsible for displaying the RWR on the cockpit. The constant, RWR_CIRCLE_Y, positions the centre of the RWR display at pixel-row 121.  So what I did was to create another constant, RWR_CIRCLE_Y2, which positions the centre of the RWR display, 41 pixels further up the screen, at row 80.

In addition, I copied the entire procedure named UpdateRWR and created a new procedure named UpdateRWR2 which accessed the contant RWR_CIRCLE_Y2. I had to be careful to make sure that the copied labels and jump to names were renamed so that there would be no duplicate jump names between the UpdateRWR  and UpdateRWR2 procedures.

Here is the result.

You can hit the '6' key to remove the ironworks. The RWR display will still be there, performing as expected. So that's the 90th post/mod of this Modding Tornado thread. Hope you enjoy it.

As always, I attach the latest FLIGHT.EXE file. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:01:04 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Team Tornado - Life on a Front-line Squadron by the Two Johns

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 5295
    Last post October 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM
    by Frankie
    How British Tornados Used A Special Weapon To Ravage Saddam’s Airfields

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2196
    Last post March 27, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
    by Frankie
    Desperately seeking GEnie Tornado debrief posts of the 1990s

Started by Frankie

Views: 2244
    Last post December 06, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado wingman turbulence effects

Started by Frankie

Views: 3676
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado on Twitch.tv - Valentine's Day 14/2/2022, 10pm-12midnight (UTC+8)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3248
    Last post February 16, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
    by General Sandman