Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Dangerous Waters - To Kill a Kilo - Part I: By JC  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Dangerous Waters - To Kill a Kilo - Part I: By JC
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »

Sunday, July 23, 2017
By: JC
Dangerous Waters - To Kill a Kilo - Part I

This gem of a naval sim is old like dirt but still amazing. It was my friend Asid  -Dogs of War's head honcho- who reminded me about it and this thing stuck to me like a tick.

Please join me into this fight against two Iranian Kilo class submarines. This is a tough battle against very silent enemies in shallow and noisy waters.

The ship control panel of my Los Angeles III class submarine. After receiving my orders through the radio antenna mast, I move using sprint and drift towards the Strait of Hormuz. The flank speed is risky, but I need to get my sub in the area of operations, there is a tanker under attack by Iranian diesel submarines.

The navigation panel. My orders included an approximate position for the tanker, which I plotted and set a waypoint towards. The circle represents a 15 nm radius from that location, when we arrive at that point I'm going to drop my speed to 5 knots to minimize the risk of detection and to get my sonars into a speed at which they work.

Waypoints are editable, so you can adjust speed and depth with ease.

At 15 nm from the last known position of the tanker, I reduce my speed to 4 knots and I deploy my starboard towed sonar array. Start trying to pick a contact.

I'm streaming my starboard towed array. This towed array has a very long cable which can cause the array to hit the sea floor of shallow waters like the ones I'm transiting. The solution is to stream the towed array to approximately half of its length and don't drop the speed below 4 knots.

Read on: Click Here
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
Re: Dangerous Waters - To Kill a Kilo - Part I: By JC
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
It's the only game I've played lately. Cold Waters is great fun but this one is a hardcore sim. I play with RA mod which has some drawbacks but overall makes DW a great experience with additional units and improved detection ranges, although I some of the tweaks are disputable. For instance, I was in a Kilo and my periscope was detected form 12+ nautical miles. I saw a video from and an Aussie sub once which approached a frigate as close as 3000 yards, if I remember correctly, and and surface guys had no idea they were there.

This game is perfect for me because I can leave it for 20 - 30 minutes and do something else in the meantime.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Dangerous Waters - To Kill a Kilo - Part I: By JC
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:13:40 PM »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

Choosing a Team Yankee List for your IDF force and paint it Part 2: Infantry and

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2302
    Last post May 01, 2020, 03:02:51 PM
    by Asid
    Elite: Dangerous Role Playing Game (ED RPG)

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 3939
    Last post January 20, 2017, 07:24:51 PM
    by Longknife
    Elite Dangerous Discussion

Started by Asid

Replies: 18
    Views: 14462
    Last post June 17, 2016, 06:01:37 PM
    by Asid
    Panzer Doctrine and Land Doctrine are now part of the Matrix/Slitherine Catalog

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 3099
    Last post December 12, 2018, 04:01:04 PM
    by Asid
    Cold Waters

Started by Asid

Replies: 90
    Views: 42687
    Last post April 03, 2020, 04:41:48 PM
    by Skoop