Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: JRP vs Barthheart vs DECISIVE CAMPAIGNS: BLITZKRIEG  (Read 8648 times)

Offline JasonPratt

• Now let us see what the future will bring...
JRP vs Barthheart vs DECISIVE CAMPAIGNS: BLITZKRIEG
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Aside reminded me this morning that I hadn't actually created any threads yet for my video AARs, so...! Here are my videos for my ongoing multiplayer battle against Barthheart (who helped write one of the tutorials) from the Grogheads forum. We've passed the halfway point of the Polish operation, Fall Weiss. The videos get steadily shorter as I go.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Mp Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg videos (finished)

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

Survive Harder! Season Two complete; Blood Bowl Amazons AAR

Offline JasonPratt

Re: JRP vs Barthheart vs DECISIVE CAMPAIGNS: BLITZKRIEG
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
While Barth was away for Origins, I worked up this compilation video of Viktor Suvorov's two 2009 United States lectures on his "Icebreaker" theory; which was partially incorporated by the Decisive Campaigns designer into why the Soviets have such a hard time in Barbarossa for DC3.

The main lecture(s) lasts a little over 1 hours, but a few parts of the Naval Academy lecture are incorporated into the followup discussions at the Congressional lecture. (And I fronted the fellow defector's comments as a heartfelt introduction to Suvorov and his work, which adds about 8 minutes to the first.)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline budd

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:41:59 AM »
I only have one thing to say to all this :shooting-two-guns....DOOM>>>DOOM>>>DOOM>>>DOOM>>>>scroll it.

Been keeping tabs on your DCWTP AAR.... well done sir, very entertaining.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
Great stuff Jason. DC are good games often overlooked. I think they are great games.

The Viktor Suvorov video was very interesting.

Thanks for posting
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Offline JasonPratt

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:18 AM »
Well, there are various levels of debunking. For example, the claim that Stalin had no defense plans only attack plans seems to be undisputed; what's disputed is what this implies. Everyone has attack plans, because those are easier than defense plans and attack (even in the case of the French Maginot Line) was the accepted military overall strategy typical of the time. That means there would be no special weight to Stalin having no defense plans per se, but it still counts as some weight in regard to intentions, even if only a little. On the other hand, if it's true that Stalin's armies on and near the border were caught out of their excellent defensive revetments, in modes proper for the start of offensive deployment, then that would weigh pretty hard toward what a lack of a defensive plan means! (I mention this because of its relevance for how VictorR, who designed the DC series, explains his rationales for what's happening with the Soviets early in the Barbarossa game. The next question of course would be, how caught wound up to stab were the Russians?)

Along a similar line, I read/heard a recent criticism from the Military History Visualized guy quoting from a 2017 book critical of Suvorov's theory, where the author argued that Stalin wasn't ready to go in May, counting this against Suvorov's theory. But the author agreed that the evidence (which he claimed counted against Suv) did show decisively enough that Stalin DID intend to attack Hitler, just sometime in 42, presumably May 42 in time for prime campaigning weather. But Suvorov would agree that Stalin didn't think he could go in May, or he would have gone in May! That line of rebuttal says nothing about whether Stalin was keeping his options open to go in August, before he would be forced to demobilize his work force for harvest season. (It is of course a further question whether Stalin would risk another year without so much of his workforce in production, with both his guns drawn and ready to shoot as Suv likes to put it in lectures, instead of holstering them to build and eat etc. Had Stalin pulled the triggers in August he'd have still been pulling those triggers when harvest came after all, which he surely would have known. But maybe he thought he could raid the German harvests.)

On the other hand, it's harder to overlook some of Suvorov's convenient misquotes, like (to pull an example from the first link above of countercriticism) Hitler's supposed plan to plant reeds the following spring to make the next winter not so bad; when actually in his table talk Hitler was spitballing about the difficulty of making anything out of the conquered lands in peacetime even over centuries, the marshes of Pripyat being a key example. Suv presents this to show how ineptly stupid and crazy Hitler was. But then again his theory doesn't really hinge on Hitler's gross incompetence. It hinges, in the later stages of the theory, on quite the opposite: why would Hitler suddenly rush numerous army groups into big cold Russia this late in the year and gamble on taking out the Soviet Central Command (and that this would make enough difference to stop Russia from simply retrenching behind the Urals)? Because Hitler came to realize that Stalin intended to strike him soon. Why would Hitler realize that in that narrow window of time instead of just generally expecting it (due to Stalin being Stalin)? Something changed, and I recall Glantz in a lecture talking about another of Hitler's tabletop recordings where he was commenting dolefully on what his armies were finding in the early stages of Barbarossa: even more tanks being built than he himself had been expecting, upwards of 36 thousand in production near the German border. Hitler not only took this as confirmation that he had been right to pre-emptively invade, but as a bad sign that if he didn't finish Stalin off quickly the Germans would be screwed because there was no way he could stop them just starting up this hideous flood of overproduction again farther east where he'd never be able to get at it. (Which in the medium and long run is exactly what happened, although Hitler essentially forced Stalin to commit those forces in a more piecemeal fashion without as much training as would otherwise have been proper.)

So there are pros and cons to the debunking, too.  :Holmes Suvorov has certainly suffered from some poor research and reporting in areas, and from more access to Soviet records, but he has adjusted since 1987, too.

(His concept of what counts as strategic design preparations for attack instead of defense seem kind of fluffy, too. Little tiny cannons on tanks mean attack intentions because they're sacrificing rifling and caliber weight for armored speed, or even for unarmored speed, but then giant heavy slow super-armored guns mean attack intentions because that's what you pull up to hit cities and forts with when you aren't worried about having to maneuver on defense which the heavy slow guns would suck at. But heavy defensive protective armor is inherently defensive and just look how great Soviet defensive armor was! -- uh, but useless in defense which is why they were abandoned!  :pop At some point there I have to wonder what would count in principle as evidence against his theory.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:19:57 AM by JasonPratt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 04:02:22 AM »
I did some reading on the Wiki page for Icebreaker, and it's more ambiguous than I had thought. Thanks for spurring me to look some more. :thumbsup

Edited to correct a wrong URL tag.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:20:40 PM by Rinix »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Offline JasonPratt

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »
 :cheers Yeah, I'm not presenting his theory as totally true; I was just providing a handy access to both of his 2009 American lectures, topically melded together, because it's an interesting theory and was somewhat ported into the third game of this engine.

There are really two somewhat-distinct elements to the theory:

(1) Did Stalin and his chief (surviving ;) ) officers intentionally make use of Hitler as the "icebreaker for revolution"? This is really the main theory.

(2) Did Hitler launch an ill-prepared all-or-nothing logistic gamble invasion of Russia due to what he perceived as an emergency operation to forestall Stalin from hitting him in late summer or early autumn 41?

The two elements can thematically fit together, but one could also be true while the other not.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JasonPratt

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »
NECROTHREAD: ARISE!!

Turn 8 vs Barth finally arrives. Arises. Arrivises.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:26:14 AM »
Great...Hey Jason...I like your singing/chanting. You have a real talent  :bacondance

Thx for posting  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JasonPratt

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:27 PM »
Have _you_ been wondering whether Barth and I would ever get around to continuing our mp game?

Well, in fact, we've finished through Turn 10! -- but this is where things are at the end of my 9th turn.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JasonPratt

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 12:49:17 AM »
And now the 10th turn:

SOON, I SHALL ACTUALLY PLAY THE 11TH! MUA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA!  :Bananezorro
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 02:38:59 AM »
Love the intro JP   :clap

Nice videos. Good entertainment  :book

Thanks for posting  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JasonPratt

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 11:36:57 PM »

SOON, I SHALL ACTUALLY PLAY THE 11TH! MUA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA!  :Bananezorro

BY SOON I MEANT, LIKE, ALMOST TWO MONTHS LATER! MUA HA HA HA HA HAAAA! :whistle

YOUTUBE TELLS ME THE VIDEO WILL FINISH COMPILING "SOON"!  :muah
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »
 :terr
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Panzer Campaigns Budapest '45 Gold Released!

Started by Strela

Replies: 1
    Views: 3133
    Last post January 25, 2018, 03:42:29 PM
    by Asid
    JRP vs Grogheads vs JRPx4 vs FIRE IN THE LAKE (too)

Started by JasonPratt

Replies: 17
    Views: 8816
    Last post April 11, 2018, 03:36:30 AM
    by JasonPratt
    Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg DEMO

Started by Asid

Views: 4727
    Last post March 31, 2016, 07:49:15 PM
    by Stardog765
    Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Started by Asid

Replies: 17
    Views: 14989
    Last post September 06, 2017, 03:55:40 PM
    by Asid
    Update on the Gold Upgrades for the Panzer Campaigns Western Front & Med titles

Started by Strela

Views: 2548
    Last post March 10, 2018, 03:35:34 PM
    by Asid