Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Kenshi  (Read 51032 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Kenshi
« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2020, 12:11:29 AM »
Kenshi v1.0.45b
Fri, 28 February 2020

Translations:

•   Added Korean Language support.

Korean fans can check out the official press release on Newswire https://www.newswire.co.kr/newsRead.php?no=901848 . Once again Lo-Fi would like to extend a huge thanks to Jeffrey Jeoung, BusanDaek, Byunghyun An, Son Byeong-gwan and all the others who worked hard on the fan translation that paved the way for the official release.

Bug Fixes:

•   Fixed dialogue interrupts not working on announcements when another NPC interjected. Could affect certain player base raids.
•   Fixed crash dismantling cages with an unconscious occupant.
•   Kidnapped pack beasts from wandering traders will no longer have their inventory automatically re-stocked.
•   Fixed possible crash when dismantling a turret that is being used (which should be impossible)
•   FCS/MODDING
•   Fixed crash if modded character mesh has UVs outside 0-1 range (other than head)
•   Fixed an issue with CHARACTER "stealth stats" property
•   Fixed crash if character model failed to load due to missing skeleton file

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »
February Community Update
Mon, 16 March 2020

In this month’s community update we wanted to acknowledge teaming up on the trailer, share some important news regarding the recent Korean translation, and provide some more details on what’s going on with Kenshi 2.

New Trailer

At the end of January we contacted Kokoplays to work with us on a new video that would coincide with our latest patch. The main aim was to give potential players an honest look at the game and an overview of what publications and users think of it. If you missed it, check it out below:

We’re incredibly pleased to see all the positive comments about the result, making it a notable entry for our new YouTube channel  https://www.youtube.com/c/LoFiGames which also offers Japanese, Chinese and Korean versions of the same video. In future we’d like to do more collaborative projects with members of the community, level up awesome ideas that might otherwise stay on the drawing board, and celebrate alongside the fans that make Kenshi great.

Korean Translation update

At the end of last month we pushed a patch with a number of bug fixes alongside the official support for Korean language text, thanks to detailed user feedback and the assistance of a freelance third party to verify, we’ve been made aware that the quality of this translation hasn’t met a standard we’re happy with.

Our current plan is to revisit this translation with a much stronger emphasis on context and error checking to update it as soon as possible, current projections put this at around 10 weeks. Unfortunately this has also lead us to reconsider Korean social media efforts. In the meantime, Korean Twitter and Facebook coverage is set to continue for at least another month, keeping users updated on the status of the translation.

Korean Wiki – looking for editors

On a more positive note, due to the popularity of Wikis in eastern gaming communities we worked with a member of our existing English Fandom Wiki team to start up a Korean version, mirroring a number of key pages to assist new users.

With the initial setup out of the way we’re now looking for Korean community members to take over. The Korean Wiki can be found here https://kenshi.fandom.com/ko/wiki/Kenshi_%EC%9C%84%ED%82%A4

GUI Development

In the interests of shedding more light on the Kenshi 2 progress from the technical team, this month we’re sharing some thoughts on the ongoing work underpinning GUI development directly from programmer Harrison:

“Hey, im Harrison aka Boodals, the newest programmer at LoFi. Ever since I was first hired in November, I've been working on remaking the GUIs from Kenshi 1 in Unreal Engine for Kenshi 2. Its too early in development to know everything that the GUIs need to be able to do, so we're just copying the designs (graphics & layout) from K1, and focusing entirely on getting the functionality working so we can test things. That means they currently look like uglier versions of the K1 GUIs, so there's no point in showing any pictures yet, somebody will make them look pretty at some point in the future.

The GUIs in Kenshi 1 were made using a programming library called MyGUI, which allows modders to reskin GUIs, and move individual GUI elements (buttons, text, sliders, etc) around by changing specific files. However, the GUI's functionality was hard-coded in the game's source code, which cannot be changed by modders. This means you cannot make a mod which adds a new button, only change what every button looks like, or move existing buttons around.

For Kenshi 2, we are using Unreal Engine which comes with it's own GUI system called Unreal Motion Graphics, or UMG for short. UMG is tied closely to Unreal's Blueprint scripting system, which is used to give the GUIs functionality.

We don't entirely know how modding will work for K2, but when we looked at other Unreal games that allow modding (such as ARK: Survival Evolved), both UMG and Blueprint is completely available. So in theory, modders will be able to change the game's GUIs, and script them to be able to do just about anything. This is in addition to the Forgotten Construction Set, so mods that add or change weapons, armour, items, buildings, and most other things in K1 will still be possible.”

Harrison first took up coding to make mods for various games before pursuing it as a career choice, which gives us another great point of insight as we make a conscious effort to support the community’s efforts again in Kenshi 2.

Materials Research

Elsewhere in the programming team, there’s been an ongoing investigation of Unreal’s material system which governs a huge number of visual elements and object interactions. Ranging from basic properties such as colour and transparency to complex physics based lighting and weather functions. We’re not just aiming to step up the visual quality in Kenshi 2, it also gives us a great opportunity to make the world itself feel more dynamic (which is part of what’s pushed us to search for a full time technical artist).

Finally, there’s a whole lot more going on behind the scenes with other members of the programming and art teams for Kenshi 2; all of which would be working closely with the successful applicants for each of the roles we’re hiring for. On the topic of abstract studio stuff, we also fixed some of the stranger behaviour with the sign-ups for our mailing list meaning we’ll look for more excuses to use it in the near future, also making it a great alternative way of getting these news posts for fans of Kenshi that prefer to stay outside of Steam’s ecosystem.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
Kenshi v1.0.46
Tue, 14 April 2020

Features:

•   Added some DirectX dlls to assist users experiencing installation issues.

Bug Fixes:

•   Fixed a random dialogue crash.
•   Fixed a crash when dropping things in character portrait panels.
•   Moved save complete message to after the back thread is finished copying files.
•   Fixed 2 crashes that could happen from missing mod data.
•   Fixed animal trading window not closing if confirm button is cancelled.

Due to a small error pushing the update this is tagged in the changelog as 1.0.47

Fixed a random dialogue crash.
    Fixed a crash when dropping things in character portrait panels.
    Moved save complete message to after the back thread is finished copying files.
    Fixed 2 crashes that could happen from missing mod data.
    Fixed animal trading window not closing if confirm button is cancelled.

Due to a small error pushing the update this is tagged in the changelog as 1.0.47
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2020, 12:21:11 AM »
March Community Update
Mon, 20 April 2020

In this month’s community update we’re working from home, welcoming several new hires to Lo-Fi and learning a bit more about performance considerations in Kenshi 2.

Developing from a safe location

As represented through parody on our Instagram, we’re encouraging everyone to stay at home if they can and as no exceptions to the rule, everyone at Lo-Fi has been working remotely. It’s taken us a little while to adjust but we’re now fully in the swing of things; our latest series of Kenshi 1 bug fixes have just been deployed to the stable branch and Kenshi 2 progress marches on.

Welcome reinforcements

To continue ramping up development for Kenshi 2 we’re excited to introduce some new faces to the team (starting remotely of course). Already hard at work, Victor Goossens, is our new Technical Artist and Sarah Keates, our new Office Administrator – both of which bring more structure to our workflow in the studio. Additionally over the next few weeks we’re welcoming Mohammad Rezazadeh as our Lead 3D Artist and Craig Tinney, as a Junior Programmer, each adding additional talent to push Kenshi 2 forward. Finally, with the popularity of the waterways picture shared in a previous update, fans will be happy to welcome back well known freelance artist Calum Alexander Watt.

Technically art or Artfully technical?

Joining us this month, Victor gives a better explanation of what a technical artist does along with a sneak peak of work that would make Bob Ross proud:

“Hi guys! I'm Victor, or Mr4Goosey (after my last name, Goossens)! I’m happy to say I’m Lo-Fi’s new Technical Artist (I’ll call it TA for short, so that doesn’t stand for Teaching Assistant here). Most of you are probably not really sure what that means, though. In a nutshell, my job as a Technical Artist is to be a bridge between the art department and the programming department. I do artsy things that are too technical for the artists, and I do technical things that are too artsy for the programmers.

I’ve been doing indie-development on all kinds of projects for years now. I got into game development as a programmer, but quickly developed a passion for creating beautiful things – bringing me to the specialized niche that is Technical Art.

Most of the work I do relates somehow to what your graphics card is doing while you’re playing games; I handle lighting, all kinds of color-balancing, and most importantly, I deal with shaders, the ‘code’ that tells your graphics card what every pixel on your screen should look like. Having specialized in Unreal Engine 4, a lot of the shader-work I do is actually material-based (using UE4’s node system). That doesn’t necessarily make the job much simpler (you still need to understand how rendering engines and graphics cards work), but definitely a bit easier to understand at a basic level. I also work with artists to work out any kinks in their work flow, as well as dealing with performance-budgets and optimization.

You might now be wondering what that means for Kenshi in the larger scheme of things. As you guys probably know we’ve decided to move to Unreal Engine 4 for Kenshi 2. Having years of experience in UE4, I’ll be working to smooth out the transition from Ogre, helping the team get used to Unreal’s way of working. Unreal Engine 4 has an incredibly powerful and versatile rendering engine – if you know how to work with it, because that power comes at the cost of complexity. The plan is for Kenshi 2 to be graphically above and beyond anything we could ever do in Ogre, and I’m here to make sure that we can actually pull that off. An easy example for that is what I’m actually working on right now:

Kenshi 2’s new Time-of-Day system, and primarily, its clouds! Kenshi’s fully dynamic lighting and environment is a massive challenge to represent properly, and it means things like clouds just cannot be left static. Kenshi’s new clouds grow, move and morph over time – all without melting your graphics card! Next up is just about every other material in Kenshi...”

The final piece

Last but not least, we’re still searching for a lead programmer to join us, keeping us on track to complete Kenshi 2 before all of this apocalypse malarkey. In the meantime, keep your eyes on our Twitter and Facebook pages for some new events and once again, if you prefer updates directly into your inbox, sign up for our mailing list here.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2020, 12:43:07 AM »
Kenshi v1.0.47b
Thu, 28 May 2020

Korean language update.

Update 1.0.47b is out now! This deploys a significant update to the Korean translation. We'll be continuing to monitor the quality over the next few weeks so please include feedback below.

1.0.47b

•   Korean Language update

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2020, 12:49:16 AM »
May Community Update
Mon, 15 June 2020

‘Caliburn’ here, it’s past time for another instalment of Kenshi development updates. As our second entry while working from home and with several new members of staff joining the team there’s been a significant amount of ‘onboarding’ this month. To start I wanted to go over two ongoing major localisation projects and a recent virtual event for Kenshi. Lastly, we’re sharing updates on Kenshi 2, taking this month to talk a bit more about the narrative and technical sides of building a large sandbox.

Localising Kenshi
In the past we’ve spoken about our passion for providing Kenshi in other languages, but we’ve rarely delved into exactly what that entails. As two major languages are still due to be re-released, along with this month’s progress update it’s a good chance for us to touch on the concept of translation vs localisation.
As any animation or foreign cinema fan would attest to, finding the nearest equivalent word to throw on a subtitle track is a very hit and miss experience. Often when a language is spoken, we use sayings and euphemisms to communicate a certain meaning that resonates with one culture but, even if translated, might be completely meaningless in another. On the simpler side, for anyone in their mid-20’s that grew up with the English dub of Pokémon here’s a ‘jellydonut’.

Except that’s actually onigiri or rice balls. As the western audience would have been unlikely to eat rice balls a decision was made to dub them as donuts and call it a day. A much closer cultural equivalence would have been something along the lines of a sandwich, dumpling, or pasty. None of that covers the visual side of what fans see on Ash’s adventure so at best it’s still a very crude way of trying to relate that Brock was nice enough to pack some lunch for their journey. If you understand that and are now thinking what they could have done instead then congratulations, you just took a crash course in localisation.

In Kenshi’s upcoming Japanese localisation, a lot of corrections have been made to dialogue that baffled Japanese players. For example, currently some ironies are translated with opposite meanings which leads to confusion when players need to make dialogue choices. Similarly, Meg has been replacing nonsensical direct translations with their Japanese equivalent phrases, e.g. the current 'eat boots' is now correctly translated as 'kick your ass'. Work is also being done to change proverbs that made no sense in Japanese culture. Players won't see 'out of the frying pan' in the middle of conversation (referring to 'out of frying pan into the fire') and will instead find a Japanese equivalent saying for a worsening situation. All this amounts to a near complete rewrite of our current Japanese text and requires a degree of thoughtful research - it’s a very time-consuming process.

Meanwhile, for the Korean localisation, we’ve recently released a major update. As we mentioned before we revisited it with a different team, but we also decided to collaborate with fan Jeffrey Jeoung to assist with quality assurance. This helped us by breaking through the language barrier which prevented us from otherwise checking on the quality of translations.

Kenshi x Indie Live Expo
A quiet side effect of the ongoing current pandemic is the effect it’s having on live events across game development, whilst not as pressing of a concern as many other topics it’s easy to forget we’re in the middle of the busy season for live expos.

Lo-Fi is excited to share, following the positive outcome of our last physical event in Shanghai, we worked with PLAYISM again to take part in our first digital event – Indie Live Expo 2020.

Hosted by the famous Ryu’sOffice in Japan, live streams were broadcast in English, Japanese and Chinese with aims ‘to promote friendship, fellowship, and enthusiasm through the medium of video games.’ A cause we were more than happy to add weight to.

The event covered a range of different indie titles and initiatives including personal messages from beloved industry figures ZUN (Touhou Project), Toby Fox (Undertale, Deltarune) SWERY (The GoodLife / White Owls Inc.) and KazuyaNino (TYPE-MOON).

Finally as many of the Kenshi Discord community can attest to, I’m also a huge Evangelion fan so it’s incredibly exciting mention that in advance of ‘Thrice upon a time’there’s an ongoing Evangelion inspired game jam which was announced during the event.

Where to watch: YouTube (EN)/ YouTube (JP) / Twitch (EN) / Bilibili (CN)
For more information check out the Indie Live Expo website.

Just communication.
Similar to the real world, Kenshi 2 is going to be pretty big. Previously when talking to Nat she confirmed that whilst we still don’t have a marketing friendly measured size to rally behind, it’ll be bigger than Kenshi 1. This raises two important questions: how do we make it feel alive and how will it work from a technical standpoint? Below Nat touches on the first point and the magic of the ‘narrative bark’.

“Hello! For the last few months, I've been working on the little pieces of information that subtly unfold the various histories and cultures of Kenshi's world. Writing for a sandbox game can be a little different to other RPGs where the developers normally have more control over what the player hears and sees (and even what the NPCs do!). So, for Kenshi, I need to reflect the necessary information differently while also making sure the world feels alive and immersive.

A few months back, I talked about roughly structuring our first factions' layouts on the world map, but now my job is to zone in on the individual cities and their own mini conflicts. I've been planning out what I like to call the 'Carrots' - the local goals or tempting secrets for the player to explore. I then list out all the possible ways I can convey that information, using in-game item descriptions and different dialogues, or visually with assets. We're strictly against traditional quest systems in Kenshi, so it's important for me to tell the player what they can do indirectly through the environment instead, planting seeds in your minds and making you want to do things for yourselves.

One of those 'dribbles' of information involves writing dialogue Barks. Barks are the short bits of dialogue that NPCs blurt out either in reaction to something, or just completely ambient comments - the ambient comments are the ones that I've been writing and they're perfect for breathing life into a world, reinforcing goals and lore, and simply interacting with the player to really make them feel part of the world. BUT... I have to write a lot of those suckas while actually keeping them interesting and nonintrusive. They can be a bit mind numbing to work on but they're one of my favourite methods to paint a picture of a town via gossiping and general musings from citizens.

If you'd like to read more about my process with writing barks, I've written a much more in-depth article on gamasutra or you can follow me on Twitter”

Beautiful World.
As readers already know, Kenshi 2 is in development using Unreal Engine 4 which is a major jump from an aging implementation of OGRE. Following on from the narrative elements of the world, Victor, our technical artist, has kindly offered to answer some questions about the technical aspects.

Starting with a major pain point then, moving across large areas in Kenshi 1 leads to lots of ‘loading’ pauses. How does Unreal handle huge maps and will that help with this?

“UE4 has a system called World Composition - it allows us to divide the world into cells which are then automatically loaded as the camera approaches them. It can do that asynchronously, meaning it doesn't lock up the game; it's loading the data as a background task. We can divide buildings and such over these cells in order to keep them unloaded and have them automatically come in when needed. World Composition is also built to work with Unreal Engine's Landscape system.

Unfortunately, the stock Landscape system isn't explicitly designed for a world as massive as Kenshi 2. While we still intend to use world composition, there’s additional exploration going into third party options for the landscape system to go even further. It’s important for us to get this right as currently Kenshi 2's world is expected to end up even bigger than Kenshi’s ~1000km2.”

That’s pretty huge, I can’t think of that many other games with similar scale. I appreciate it’s not your field, but will World Composition mean no more units running into the sky?

“Ideally, but this also relates to pathing. We haven’t finalised exactly how pathing will be handled in Kenshi 2, but our current expectation is that we'll be working with Recast (UE4's stock navmesh which is well-tested and reliable). So tentatively, no more people walking off into the big blue yonder.

UE4 and Recast allow us to generate the navmesh where we need it with a large amount of flexibility, and it should, theoretically, handle our world really well. Either way, I'm confident we'll have a lot less weird pathing going on than we do in the original game.”

You’ve mentioned streaming bits of world in and unloading it on the fly but let’s talk about building larger spaces. In talks from Unreal Fest it seemed like developers can make presets for objects or types of buildings, set the area boundaries then let the engine create an entire city for them to edit. Do we have anything like that helping us with Kenshi 2?

“Things like city-spawners are something that we can use, but because of the oddities about Kenshi's world and a bunch of specifics, we also can't rely on a generalised system. If we do want to end up using things like generators, we’ll be developing a tool internally. One other big problem with these sorts of things is that if it’s relied on too much then the world ends up feeling ‘same-y’.

On the other hand, while it’s a lot of work for an artist to go through and manually put all the buildings and pots and pans in the right spot, it means they really are in a spot that does them justice. We do use modular (re-useable) pieces where we can, but we’re being careful with not overdoing them, after all we want Kenshi 2’s world to feel unique and distinct.”

What about when adding details to natural biomes?

“Natural environments are a lot easier to automate with those kinds of tools – at least for the menial stuff like grass placement. Of course, we could manually position every blade of grass, but that would be a nightmare. What we actually do is procedurally place grass in the right spots determined by our level designer.

There are also other procedural tools we can easily integrate into our workflow for natural assets – for example Unreal has native Speedtree integration. Speedtree is a tool that allows us to make foliage “species” and generate as many unique trees in that species as we want. It makes the foliage-creation a lot less tedious than needing to manually model them.”

If everything is going to be nicely dressed up, how do you deal with performance hits for all that extra detail?

“For starters, Kenshi 1 didn't use LODs (dynamic changes in level of detail) which meant operating with a massively constrained tri-budget for near-camera-detail. Kenshi 2 make heavy use of LODs, and we’re massively helped in that area by UE4's semi-automatic LOD generation systems. Essentially, we can have extra detailed meshes up-close, and turn them into simpler low-detail meshes when they’re further away. This all happens without any extra work on the artist's end.”

So that covers some basic software optimisations, what about from a hardware perspective - Kenshi runs an older version of OGRE that’s famously single threaded so what’s the difference with Unreal and Kenshi 2?

“It’s a huge shift here, really. When Kenshi development started, multi-threaded CPUs really weren’t that common yet, nor were the cores nearly as fast as they’re becoming now. For context, at the time Intel’s i3/i5/i7 release scheme didn’t even exist. In development, it’s important to work on systems that help as many people as reasonably possible to be able to play - Back then that meant there was no reason to go beyond a single-thread. It’s an incredibly complicated thing to code so it wasn’t worth the development time.

That’s different now, even the average user runs 4 CPU cores. Unreal Engine, by default, runs its render-thread on a separate core. Kenshi 2 runs almost all of its logic on extra threads, of which there are now more, and they’re faster. The gains made by proper multi-threading are massive at this point. Another thing which makes a big difference is that so many rendering-bottlenecks of the past decade have gone from being handled on the CPU to being on the GPU, which is significantly faster for calculations that need to happen hundreds of thousands of times per frame. GPUs have gotten exponentially faster over the past decade, and that’s power we can properly tap into.”

A lot of this works on paper but what can you do to know if you’re getting it right as it’s being made?

“This sort of thing is for a large part just developing some sort of instinct for what you should and shouldn’t do. If you show me the profiler statistics for a given scene, along with a wireframe, I can generally pretty quickly figure out where any slowdowns are coming from. It’s difficult to explain why in each case, that goes incredibly deep, but you get a feel for the patterns of what works and what consequences certain choices have.

During initial development, you work on rough ideas, generally without hugging tight performance limits for everything. Once something’s working, then it’s time to start looking whether the current cost is reasonable, and where you can easily scrape some frame time off it. The big analytical guns come out when you run into major performance problems. Generally, there’s a certain benchmark you want to hit for acceptable performance at minimum specs. Once you’re unable to hit that benchmark, it’s time to stare at lots-and-lots of numbers – indicators of how costly parts of a scene are – and go through what you can deduce from them. Starting with the worst offenders, you ‘scrape some stuff off’, ever more aggressively. Optimisation’s basically a circle, it repeats as you go. Scenes keep growing and therefore getting more expensive, so you work your ass off to make sure you’re still meeting the benchmark by tearing the existing stuff apart more. The scene grows again and the cycle repeats.

Finally, Epic just announced Unreal 5, as it’s supposedly seamless to migrate there’s talk of us moving along with it. Are there any features that you saw and immediately thought ‘that would be perfect for Kenshi’?

“As a technical artist, I’m incredibly excited to see what Unreal Engine 5 will bring us. If it delivers everything Epic has been marketing so far such as the lighting and geometry changes, it could be a massive game-changer.

That said, we don’t know how the final implementation will turn out so we can’t count on it yet. The promotional material stresses that porting should be easy, and I’m confident it will be, but based on current information swapping from UE4 to UE5 won’t automatically mean much. The major gains with the new tech aren’t user-oriented, they’re things that will make a massive difference for the art creation workflow and we’re already in the middle of that. We also can’t work according to the new idealised workflow either. Obviously, as it wouldn’t be worthwhile to sit here twiddling our thumbs until UE5 comes out and make everything then, the current plan is to just continue developing as before and see what we can do when it arrives.

Speculating on a hypothetical Kenshi 3 though… I imagine our workflow would be fundamentally different using UE5 as compared to our current art-pipelines, and I imagine it’d be significantly more time-efficient. That’s all very speculative though, so don’t get too excited.”

---

This month’s blog was a lengthy undertaking so I’m looking forward to hearing thoughts and questions from the community in the comments. As ever you can join us on Twitter and Facebook where we have a soon-to-be-confirmed creator competition in the works. If you’d like a none-Steam way to keep up with the studio, blogs are available on our website and via our mailing list.

Cheers,

Sam ‘Caliburn’ Hills

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
Kenshi 1.0.48 (Experimental Branch)
Tue, 7 July 2020

Out now on the experimental branch only. To opt in to the experimental version, right-click on Kenshi in your Steam games list -> properties -> betas tab -> then choose “experimental”. If opting in, please be aware of bugs and instability.

Please report any bugs or feedback to either the Steam or Lo-Fi forums

Features:
•   Due to recent windows updates causing even more save issues when the game is installed in the C:/Program Files/ folder, Saves can now optionally be stored in the user directory instead of the install path. It can be set in the options.
•   Added Stun Recovery Rate and Robot First Aid Speed constants to FCS

Bug Fixes:
•   Fixed FCS 'xp rate athletics' constant doing nothing

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2020, 02:15:47 AM »
Kenshi v1.0.50
Thu, 16 July 2020

Update 1.0.50 is out now! This moves a number of fixes including the new option to change saved game location to the main branch. We'll be continuing to monitor the quality over the next few weeks so please include feedback below.

Features:
•   Due to recent windows updates causing even more save issues when the game is installed in the C:/Program Files/ folder, Saves can now optionally be stored in the user directory instead of the install path. It can be set in the options.
•   Added Stun Recovery Rate and Robot First Aid Speed constants to FCS

Bug Fixes:
•   Fixed FCS 'xp rate athletics' constant doing nothing
•   A crash fix for rare situations resulting from missing meshes

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2020, 12:11:20 AM »
July Community Update
Tue, 4 August 2020

‘Caliburn’ here again for another update on Kenshi. As with previous posts, I’ll start by recapping a few things going on with the continued support for the first Kenshi. For this blog’s special section, we’re catching up with some of the team at Lo-fi to find out what’s keeping them sane in isolation before finally getting to development news on Kenshi 2.

Experiment recursion.
In the past month we’ve once again been making use of the experimental branch, most notably around an issue users reported with saved games following the latest windows update. Many players had stated they were unable to save, load, or experienced crashing when they tried. In Kenshi’s latest v1.0.50 update saves default to the Windows user directory, fixing any potential issues linked to system permissions. Please keep in mind that if you wish to edit a saved game the new location to check is
C:Users<YourUsername>AppDataLocalkenshisave.

Defined interpretation.
Hinted above, after consulting with the forum mods we’ve made some overdue changes to bug reporting flow – namely better collating more widely popular bugs, cleaning up a number of older topics, and providing a more visible response to new ones. This will likely mean pushing for a stricter adherence to the bug reporting format as I work to ensure they can be reproduced and turn them into meaningful notes to the programming team to progress. The end goal here is to keep fixing issues for in Kenshi 1 in a more transparent way, giving users more feedback on if it’s feasibly possible to fix and where we’re at with their reports. For a more worded explanation of the changes check out the pinned topic here.

Hey, Fans!
In past blog posts we’ve mentioned hiring a number of new team members to expand the studio for Kenshi 2. Over the next few updates, since we’re focussed on an important Kenshi 2 subproject (details further down) I’m taking the opportunity to catch up with different team members and share a little bit of who they are, what they’re up to outside of the studio, and how they’re doing working from home.

Guy ‘Warls’ Warley – Concept Artist
I’m Guy, a concept designer with a background in graphic design, illustration and advertising. I joined the team in November 2019 and have been working on concepts for the architecture, furniture, and characters that inhabit the world of Kenshi 2.

Home setup:
For my home setup I recently purchased a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, replacing my Wacom Intous 3. After spending 12 years with the Intuos 3 (which is still going strong) it’s a big upgrade. I initially thought it was going to take a lot of time to get used to the switch but I’m already really enjoying it and using it every day. The Cintiq is connected to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) which works pretty well running things like Photoshop.

Thoughts on working on Kenshi from home:
I am quite used to working at home and have got into a good routine over the years. I do miss working in the office though, it’s much easier to talk through different areas of the project with everyone in the same room, much less typing!

Life balance:
I have been spending the lockdown back in my hometown near East Yorkshire by the coast. Running and walking are the main things keeping me going. I’m also doing some yoga in the mornings, I’m rubbish at it but enjoying it anyway.

In my free time I’ve been working on several of my own illustrations, such as the album covers for three different electronic artists that I finished recently.

Other freelance projects I’ve worked on that people might recognise include art for mud-and-lasers RPG ‘Lancer’ and a cover for the gritty future comic ‘The Hand Unseen’. Right now, I’m working on some posters based on my favourite Studio Ghibli films which follow on from other personal projects like last year’s Akira poster.

Victor ‘Mr4Goosey’ Goossens – Technical Artist
I’m Victor, or Mr4Goosey. I’ve been doing indie-dev on my own projects for over half a decade, and I’ve spent part of that doing it for a living. I got fed up of running my own business and decided to look for a full-time job in the industry, leading me to Lo-Fi. I wanted to combine my love for making pretty things with interests in logic and programming, which is why I’m now a technical artist.

Home setup:
I’m running a custom PC with a Ryzen 7 2700X and a GTX1080. For peripherals, I’ve got a Decus mouse and a Razer Blackwidow (Green switches) both with lovely wrist-rests. Finally, for screens I’m running a 34” LG Ultra-wide which I’m looking to replace with something less bulky and a 27” AOC monitor on the side.

Thanks to past projects I’m used to working from home, so it’s really not that special to me, ironically being in an office will take more getting used to. It’s nice to be in my own place and have access to my stuff, but when everything happens in the same room it’s easy to lose sight of the boundaries between work and life. It can also be hard to get to know the team properly when we’ve not properly met. All in all, I’m looking forward to being in-office; working from home feels less efficient and enjoyable than being together with people, plus it gets lonely and boring.

Life balance:
I’ve started another gamedev project in my spare time, though I’ve been trying to get away from my computer too. Out of my new interests the main one that helps is blacksmithing. Unfortunately, I don’t have a forge yet – that’ll probably have to wait until I’ve moved to the UK, but as I’m mostly focussed on armouring, I can do quite a lot anyway. It’s a steep learning curve, but it’s really cool to produce something like a piece of armour out of nothing.

I’m also just getting into electronics and robotics. It’s something I’ve been putting off for as long as I’ve been doing gamedev, but I’m hoping to get started on it properly now. First steps are reading up on basic electronics (I wouldn’t be able to give you a definition of a “servo”), because that’s the main part I’m lacking. I’m hoping I can get the hang of that then get properly stuck in!

Lastly, I’ve been doing more gamedev. I’ve recently started playing around with Phyronnaz’s Voxel Plugin for UE4, and I’m currently trying to make a small, relaxing game in which you build a low-poly eco dome with cute animals in it. Not sure exactly where it’ll be going, but I’m hoping to release it on Steam for a few bucks at some point in a similar vein to Islanders.

Harrison ‘Boodals’ – Programmer
I’m Harrison, or Boodals, the programmer who was hired back in November. Up until now I've been working on remaking the GUIs from Kenshi 1 in Unreal Engine, but now that we've hired Craig, I can shift my efforts onto less urgent tasks, such as code cleanliness and stability. I won’t go into too much detail, but I'd call it more of a support role, making the other programming jobs easier and faster, and discouraging code which could be unstable.

Home setup:
Since we started working from home, I've been using my own PC for most tasks. We do all have laptops to work on, but I don’t have the desk space to fit mine. Using my PC also allows me to test the GUIs I previously spoke about on a 4k screen to make sure everything functions correctly at higher resolutions.

Working from home is pretty great, mainly due to lie-ins and easy access to snacks (ha-ha), but it does come with its downsides. Not being able to quickly speak to other developers or show each other what we're working on makes it harder to get stuff done. We're exploring several apps and programs to minimize this, but you can't beat being in the same room.

Life balance:
Outside of work, the lockdown really hasn't affected me too much, as I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't bothered by being locked in. I moved house just before the lockdown started, so I've been hanging out with my new housemates and their cat, whom I pay tribute to in the form of pets every time I pass through Her domain (stairs, hallway, kitchen…)

Declarative prologue.

The team have been hugely busy this month working on a ‘vertical slice’ of Kenshi 2, which I have the pleasure of sharing snippets of today.

For those unaware of the terminology, a vertical slice is a portion of near-finished quality game which then allows a studio to visualise some of what they’re up to. It’s traditionally distinct from a prototype in that the quality is much higher leaving less room for flexibility but for us we’re blurring that line a bit and using it primarily as a tangible design tool. Internally nicknamed ‘Concrete Neon’, it’s about having a space to test and iterate on some of Kenshi 2’s ideas by taking them away from a design document and experiencing how they might actually be played.

Sharing some thoughts on our first major milestone, Chris compares Concrete Neon to founding Kenshi’s Holy Nation and his hands on approach to game design: “Anyone who played the [Kenshi 1 early access] map in it's earliest incarnation will remember that only a small area around the holy nation was active, the rest was greyed-out and you couldn't go there, because it wasn't finished. This gives us a test bed to get everything working early on so we can play the game and experiment. I'm not a very formal designer, my technique is iterative because my ‘special skill’ is playing a game for a while and then going "hunger needs to be 0.8x slower and strength needs to raise 1.12x faster instead of 1.08x". It's also better that way because I can approach the design as a player rather than as a game designer. I don't like game designers.”

---

This month’s blog post was intended for last so ran a little late, but we’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments – with so many players following different game development projects it’s a great place to reflect. As ever you can join us on Twitter and Facebook where we still have an upcoming creator competition to announce once we’ve worked out the prizes... If you’d like a none-Steam way to keep up with the studio, blogs are available on our website and via our mailing list.

Cheers,

Sam ‘Caliburn’ Hills

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
August Community Update
Wed, 30 September

Hi there, here comes another community update on Kenshi. In this update, we’ll go over the decisions and changes that were made on the Discord server, Kenshi's milestone, and introduction to Lo-Fi’s team members, followed by some visual sneak peeks on what to expect for Kenshi 2.

The Future of Discord Server

https://discord.com/invite/5Z8qXPF

As some of you may have known, Caliburn (Sam) who has been keeping the community up to date and was leading Lo-Fi's marketing has moved on which resulted in some internal reshuffles that we hope have gone unnoticed.

The most significant decision that was made in the past weeks was the ownership of Kenshi's Community Discord server that has now gone back to the community led by Seth Knight who was voted to the admin role by the group of moderators. For those who have not been aware, there has been an ongoing discussion on Community Server's ownership and its purpose, but they are now set at rest, and the server is back in good hands.

Kenshi's Community Discord server has always been a place to share ideas, creation, and experiences of all things Kenshi by the community, however, it was not designed as a means to communicate with the developer. Now with the growing Lo-Fi team who are involved in different aspects of the game development, we have decided to set up a new official Discord server for the team to interact and receive feedback from the community. We will work closely with Seth and other moderators to ensure that the community's requests are reflected, and there will be more opportunity for us to work together on things such as online events. We will announce the launch of the official Discord server once it is ready.

Major Milestone

After 12+ years of development and less than 2 years of the official release, Kenshi has hit a milestone of 1 million global sales. We wouldn't have made it this far without the support of the community who's been there from the very early stage and have continued to come back to Kenshi throughout the years. Proceeds gained from Kenshi are now invested in developing Kenshi 2, with the expanded team of 15 and a new office in Bristol.

Keeping everyone safe is our priority with COVID, so we are taking time setting up the office with only those who are comfortable to come in for work. Considering where things are heading in the UK, it will be a while when we can fully kit the office and show some pictures in the blog, but we are fully intending to do so in the future!

Hello Everyone!

In the last update, we've introduced several new team members who have joined the studio for the development of Kenshi 2. We'll continue the introduction of 3 members this month on who they are and what they are up to outside of work.

Christopher Schlesag – Concept Designer & Illustrator

I'm Christopher, a concept designer and illustrator from Germany. I have been working on Kenshi 2 for the last 5 months and recently moved to Bristol to work at the Lo-Fi Games office. I'm involved in the creation of various visual elements of the project and strive to make the world of Kenshi more immersive with every design I create. The main focus of the last few months has been the design of various props; refining and improving the visual language set forth by Kenshi 1.

(Some of the light-fixtures I designed further below as a taste of what's to come)

Life Balance:
Outside of work I spend a lot of time on things that keep one inspired, like traveling, reading, movies, or playing games (thou there isn't any traveling going on right now).
But the majority of my free time is spent on improving my skills as an artist, and working on personal paintings.

(Image of my personal painting)

Above is a digital painting I did some time ago, I still have a long way to go before I can be content with this and other paintings, but if you're interested you can see more of them on my Instagram or Twitter. I only recently set up social media profiles, but I will post more of my creations in the future.

Paul Crilley – Writer

I’m Paul Crilley, and I’m a Scotsman who has been adrift in South Africa for twenty-something years (and I’m still not used to the heat or humidity). I recently joined the team to work as a writer on Kenshi 2 and am having an absolute blast.

Over the years I’ve worked in television, novels, computer games, and comics. My most recent series, Poison City, and the sequel Clockwork City, about a supernatural police force based in Durban, South Africa, has been optioned for television by Jerry Bruckheimer Productions and CBS. Whether it goes into production or not is another matter entirely.

I was one of the contract writers on Star Wars: The Old Republic back in the day. On the comics front, my most recent work was Star Wars Adventures, for IDW. I also planned out a comic book mini-series for IDW called, X-Files: Conspiracy. The mini-series brought together Mulder & Scully, The Crow, Ghostbusters, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Transformers. I wrote 3 of the 6 issues of that series. I also adapted the characters I created for the Wizards of the Coast D&D setting Eberron (the fantasy detectives Abraxis Wren and Torin) for comics, also for IDW.

Home setup:
My home setup is a mishmash of books, a cluttered desk, a whiteboard, and walls entirely covered in movie posters and old calendar pictures from over the years. (Lord of the Rings, Discworld, GoT, etc). I cannot stand bare walls and need to be surrounded by the clutter I have collected. I have a desktop PC for gaming, and the novel and scriptwriting work gets done of the MacBook.

Life Balance:
It’s difficult finding a balance when you work from home. Nothing has changed during lockdown on that front, as I’ve worked from home my whole professional career. What *is* difficult is working from home while having a five-month baby demanding so much attention. I find that I get more work done at night. (I’ve always been a night owl.) So I do a few hours during the day in-between feedings and putting the little terror to sleep, but from 6pm onwards, when he’s down for the night, that’s when my writing day really starts. I usually go on till about 1 or 2 in the morning, with probably one brief feeding for the baby. I need to get back into gym again, as they only recently opened up again, but finding the time to do that is going to be a challenge.

Meg (Gumstar) – PR & Community Management

I'm Meg or Gumstar, and I've been working behind the scene for Kenshi on Japan for a few years. With the departure of Caliburn, I've stepped in to help out the team on PR & Community Management.

Life Balance:
I live in London near several parks, and I walk or run every morning to breathe fresh air and declutter my mind. I've always been a city-dweller, but somehow this lockdown has made me crave for nature like never before.
I've been observing a family of swans since early spring when the parent swans started to incubate. With 'The Ugly Duckling' being one of my favourite childhood tales, it’s been fascinating to see the development of cygnets, when they looked nothing like swans in spring to now when they are perfectly shaped grey swans. They'll soon shed their feathers and will become indistinguishable from their parents. As elegant as they are, I can't help but notice how they look like the distant cousins of certain Kenshi creatures when they thrust their heads into the water :)

Details, Details, Details

Kenshi 2 goes back 1,000 years from Kenshi 1, and it was undoubtedly a different world from what we are familiar with in Kenshi 1. Some inhabitants would have changed over the years accompanied by transformation in social and cultural dynamics, something that is inevitable given the timespan.

In the past updates, we've shown some concept art from Calum Alexander Watt representing some initial thoughts on the world of Kenshi 2. Now that we are further along in the world-building stage, Christopher, our Concept Artist and Illustrator has been busy working out the details on props that are used by Kenshi 2's inhabitants in their daily life, as in the external light fixtures below.

Kenshi 2 is developed with Unreal Engine, which allows further details in visual appearances and animation that would not have been possible in the technical setup used by Kenshi 1. We are happy to reveal an example of a creature that lived over 1,000 years with their uncanny survival instincts.

We've been late with this month's update, but we love to hear your thoughts, especially on our visual reveals on Kenshi 2. As ever, you can join us on Twitter and Facebook, and if you'd rather receive this blogpost in a non-Steam way, they are available on our website and via our mailing list.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »
Kenshi 1.51 (Experimental Branch)
Tue, 6 October 2020

Out now on the experimental branch only. To opt in to the experimental version, right-click on Kenshi in your Steam games list -> properties -> betas tab -> then choose “experimental”. If opting in, please be aware of bugs and instability.

•   Fixed deleting saves from new save location

•   Fixed bar squads not spawning in Heng due to multiple towns in one zone

•   Fixed issue with initial player health if race was changed during character creation

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2020, 12:42:13 AM »
COMMUNITY UPDATE: #39
Wed, 18 November 2020

Snappy Alignment Modes

Hi there, here comes another community update on Kenshi. In this update, we'll go over, a sneak peek on new modes to place interior objects and furniture in Kenshi 2, some news from the Studio, and more introduction to Lo-Fi's team members.

Interior Object and Furniture Placement Modes in Kenshi 2

One of the key elements of Kenshi is the Building feature; finding the right spot to build an outpost or buying some buildings as a base and filling the external and interior space with furniture and objects. Building feature continues to be the key element of Kenshi 2, with enhanced modes that enable players to build and place objects with ease.

In this update, we asked Craig (his profile below) about the new modes for interior object placement for Kenshi 2. You'll find below some sneak peek videos and descriptions on what we could expect from the feature.

Kenshi 2 will feature a number of tools to help placing objects indoors substantially easier. Let's start with the improvements made to the Kenshi 1 method of placing furniture, now called Free-Placement Mode.

As the name suggests, this mode allows you to place furniture at any valid location at whatever rotation the player sees fit. We've now added collision correction to this mode to allow players to place objects up against walls and other objects much easier. There's also an option to allow you to snap the rotation of your object against whatever you collide against, making alignment to walls and other pieces of furniture much easier.

For some objects, however, this mode is not exactly ideal. Say I want a neat line of hydroponic farms inside the building, we could try and line them up neatly by hand, which could take some time, or we could use the new Grid Snapping Mode for perfect alignment.

But what if you want to align objects at an angle? What if you want some things aligned differently? Well, that's where our final new mode, Furniture Alignment Mode comes in handy. Now players can select any interior object and generate a grid to align to the building.

With these new tools, it'll be easier than ever to create interior layouts for Kenshi 2.

Below are the interior views of the building provided by Nicolò (his profile below). Furniture is still being modelled (no spoilers!) so you'll only see the shapes here, but the images demonstrate how the objects are placed against the curved walls and straight alignments such as shelves and internal walls.

News from the Studio: Another Lockdown and A Virtual Event

Starting 5 November, England has gone back into another lockdown for at least a month, which means everyone at Lo-Fi is now working from home. The lockdown can be difficult for some members who prefer to work in the Studio, but we're planning lots of online gaming sessions to keep our team from going stir crazy!

We are all embracing remote communication and online meetings during the lockdown, but our virtual experience reached new heights when we attended the China Game Fest in late October. Lo-Fi set up a virtual booth within the virtual conference centre where visitors walked around led by a friendly virtual escort. The event was visited by more than 50,000 visitors over the 3 days (23rd – 25th) with impressive media coverage in China.

Hello Everyone, from Chris, Nicolò and Craig!

In the last update, we introduced several new team members who have joined the Studio for the development of Kenshi 2. We'll continue the introduction of 3 members, old and new, on who they are, how they are set up at home, and what they are up to outside of work.

Read on...

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2021, 02:06:44 AM »
Kenshi update 1.0.51 is out now.
Fri, January 22, 2021

Fixes:
Fixed deleting saves from new save location
Fixed bar squads not spawning in Heng due to multiple towns in one zone
Fixed issue with initial player health if race was changed during character creation

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2021, 02:58:38 AM »
COMMUNITY UPDATE #40
Mon, 15 February 2021

Gates! Environment shots! Discord!

Hey everyone, happy new year to you all! Since the last update we’ve had a Christmas party, a Christmas break, a new year and a new national lockdown in the UK, so we’re all working from home again due to that pesky old C-word that we’d rather not mention. Regardless of being locked down, spirits are up and good progress is being made with Kenshi 2. Check it oooot:

The Official Kenshi Discord is here

We have launched an official Kenshi Discord server. We’re not looking to replace the community Discord in the slightest, and we have the utmost respect for its moderators and participants, thank you for being part of something very special! Instead, we’d like to create something complimentary: a place for mini updates from us and somewhere where you can quickly and easily have a direct line to Lo-Fi Games (though we do have a sequel to a certain game to make so forgive us if we’re not always too quick to respond).

We’re very keen to hear from you about what you’d like to see the Official Kenshi Discord look like, so do please jump in and let us know.

Giveaways! Ask the devs! Competitions!

From time to time we'll be hosting Steam key giveaways and competitions where we'll be asking the community to take part by sending questions for the devs and posting mods and screenshots. Keep an eye out for info on these in the Discord server.

An "ask the devs" channel has been added from the off where we'll pick our favourite questions from the fans to answer on a monthly basis.

A smidgin of Kenshi 2 content

Environmentalism

From Environment Artist Oliver Hatton: "At the moment we're putting together two adjoining biomes so we can get to see all the amazing buildings and characters in situ, doing their thing. This biome blending will also help us identify any problems that are bound to arise, things like town sizes, over-budget texture limits and so on.

The voxel terrain can be fun to work on, with overhangs and caves being possible and re-editing areas much more hands-on than with elevation maps."

And now towns and settlements are beginning to emerge on the map, we should begin to get a much clearer view of the world. It'll be like our own little working death valley where we can test out a lot of the pain and suffering to come."

Read on......

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2021, 11:45:10 PM »
Community Update #42: Kenshi 2 Hivers Info plus T-Shirts Available Now
Mon, 4 October 2021

Hi everyone, welcome to our next community update. Sorry it's been a while but it's pretty difficult to put these together without spoiling juicy details to you. Relax (enjoy death), though, because we will be releasing another update much, much quicker than usual after this one to help satiate your cravings for more Kenshi 2 #content.

Things are good with the Lo-Fi team; we’re making excellent progress, sharpening our tools and constantly evolving our processes. That sounds like corporate nonsense we know, but the detail would bore you and basically it means we’re getting Kenshi 2 made at a good rate. We are fully on schedule, and even ahead of schedule in some areas, we’re just not telling you what that schedule is just yet.

Kenshi T-shirts and Stickers Available Now

So a few of you have been asking for merch and we are pleased to announce that we’ve partnered with the awesome folks at RobaRoba. They’re a spin-off of the excellent Indiebox, so they’re highly experienced with distribution and production.

We’re launching with a total of six different shirts for you to get your hands on. They’re going to be available in a range of sizes and will ship to a wide range of countries. For now, we’re only stocking the shirts in black but we will soon be adding some more colours, more fits and variations, and more merch in general.

Until the RobaRoba site fully launches, which should be today, you will need to sign up to the newsletter on their site for early access. You can
buy shirts now as long as you do this!

Check out our official Kenshi shirts! https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://robaroba.gg/collections/lo-fi-games

Read on......
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: