Forum > Tacview

Short NATO aircraft names for WWII aircraft

(1/2) > >>

Russ:
I'm currently working on a tool to export packet captures from a WWII arcade style game into Tacview. The only aircraft currently showing up properly is the Spitfire. I don't have an issue adding meshes for missing aircraft (or just switching them to Spitfire) but I don't know if I just need to map my informal names to names that Tacview can better understand. The documentation is a little vague on how to name aircraft, but the best I can find is "short NATO code of your aircraft". I can't find NATO aircraft codes for WWII aircraft. Is there a way to get a list of current meshes with in Tacview and the names Tacview currently associated with each one? My aircraft list currently is

AichiVal
AichiVal-T
B-17
bf109
Corsair
Ilyushin
Ju88A
Mustang
SBD
SBD-T
Spitfire
Stuka
Yak9
Zero

Vyrtuoz:
Hello Russ,

I think that the best it to use the ICAO Aircraft Type Designators:
http://www.icao.int/publications/DOC8643/Pages/Search.aspx

I have updated my documentation to reflect this.

Note Tacview database does not contains many WWII aircraft yet. I am going to add most of your list soon. Also, if you have 3D models, free of copyright, you would like to share, I will gladly add them in Tacview.

I am curious about your WWII game, can you PM me its name? ;)

Russ:
If you are already going by IACO, any chance of matching unknown aircraft based on engine type and engine count? Eg, if I put in Zero, there's no model, but it's a single engine piston aircraft, Tacview would search it's single engine piston aircraft and display something like a Cessna or Spitfire. It could then also check the object tags to try and narrow it down further.

I haven't seen any 3d models yet, my current plan was just to include a tool to extract in game data for Tacview use.

Vyrtuoz:
Yeah, I have planned to replace the old Tacview database by a much smarter system which will automatically better associate objects with the appropriate 3d models.

Until then, I must manually add each aircraft name in the database.

Can you share me some of your telemetry recordings? I will gladly add your objects names to the database of Tacview 1.6.1+

Russ:
Ok, I'll go ahead a link a recording. I don't have projectiles yet as they are all client side, so I need to add the code to calculate their position, velocity, etc. Here's my currently matching mappings:

B-17            Name=B17,Type=Air+FixedWing+Heavy
bf109           Name=ME09,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Corsair         Name=CORS,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Mustang         Name=P51,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
SBD             Name=SBD,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
SBD-T           Name=SBD,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
Spitfire        Name=SPIT,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Yak9            Name=YAK9,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Zero            Name=ZERO,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Mosquito        Name=MOSQ,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
C47             Name=DC3,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium

And here's my mapping that don't currently have an IACO identifier. I made one up for each, it looks like they need to be max 4 letters:

AichiVal        Name=D3A,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
AichiVal-T      Name=D3A,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
Ilyushin        Name=IL2,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
Ju88A           Name=JU88,Type=Air+FixedWing+Heavy
Stuka           Name=JU87,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
BF110           Name=B110,Type=Air+FixedWing+Medium
AW52            Name=AW52,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Goblin          Name=F85,Type=Air+FixedWing+Minor
HO229           Name=H220,Type=Air+FixedWing+Light
Natter          Name=B349,Type=Air+FixedWing+Minor
WasserfallRocket Name=EMW2,Type=Air+Missile+Minor
Flettner        Name=F282,Type=Air+Rotorcraft+Light