Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: The Operational Art of War IV  (Read 24979 times)

Offline Stardog765

Re: The Operational Art of War IV
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »
Excited!
One of my all time fav wargames.  Its just complicated enough and operational as opposed to strategic so if you dont want to worry about production and those more strategic things and focus solely on the operational art of war, this is your game.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline zakblood

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 03:54:28 AM »
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4379218

latest round of updates and fixes being added as i type to the first patch

4K and other Resolution issues
see http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4379197
Longer term, I want to be able to change the size of all the graphics.

Crash - Fixed crash in Bitter Victory Sicily. I believe this was caused by a land unit being knocked out of ship transport mode while moving as a fleet when it was the last remaining unit.
Major - Fixed issue with the AI not moving Ships. It may have prevented some land units from moving as well. I made a change to make the ship AI faster but didn't fully test it.
Minor - Found and fixed the bug that causes the formation lines to show up. Since it's intermittent, I can't verify 100% that it's fixed, but I believe it is.
Minor - Added in some updates to the expanded time and distance rules. Bob had made these a couple of weeks ago but since none of the current scenarios use them I didn't want to put this out as part of the release. No UI changes, just some cleanup of the existing new levels.
Minor - Chinese characters should now show up in the diplomatic pouch.
Minor - Classic view map resizing no longer leaves classic view.
Minor - Fixed issue with Chinese in diplomacy pouch
Minor - Fixed issue with zoom in classic view leaving classic view.
Major - Fixed issue with loading/saving non-game object like units.
Minor - Fixed Net Awards calculation
Minor - Fixed F1 now opens the manual
Feature - Added a Graphics entry under the [Scaling] section fo the Opart 4 Fonts.ini file
This upscales many of the graphics. Values greater than one make things bigger, values less than one make things smaller. This should be used with larger or smaller fonts.
Minor - Made scrolling easier.
Increased the scrolling area around the main map to 32 pixels.
Modified the dialog boxes so that the mouse capture no longer extends beyond the visible area
Modified the dialog boxes so that the drag area is 15 pixels around the visible area
Minor - Hid the warfare panel on screens equal to or smaller than 1024x768.

Not Fixed - There is a known bug that doesn't allow you to drag the button panel. I'm investigating.
Not Fixed - An error was reported that Cease fire didn't work properly.

:book enjoy and hope you all love the new game
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »
The UI will scare off some players, especially new ones.  :scared1

Some bugs seem so obvious. It makes me wonder sometimes what the beta testers do?  :dunno
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
The Operational Art of War IV Stream TODAY!

From Matrix/Slitherine

Quick reminder: as almost every day, we're going to have a stream today, and it will be The Operational Art of War IV!
Come have fun with us, 12 PM EST / 5 PM GMT / 6 PM CET, on our Twitch channel and see what we're capable of!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline budd

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »

Some bugs seem so obvious. It makes me wonder sometimes what the beta testers do?  :dunno
This version is way more user friendly. I've owned every version and have always put it down as it just didn't click with me. This version is just easier but does take some reading while playing to connect the dots. I've always been seduced by the scope of the games scenarios, I went from 41 east front scenario to a zulu wars scenario....... nice. I think the game is finally clicking with me. No major bugs for me so far, 2 crashes on the tutorial and sometimes you have click things twice to activate but that's it. I've spent time learning to use Elmer and it does a pretty good job and its a cool feature i should of learned/used in TOAW 3.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Offline zakblood

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

wasn't one of mine, and tbh over 300 battles to test, and so far only 3 reported with slight errors which were corrected but didn't make it on time were patched and uploaded the same day, so minor in the larger scale of things, i think the epic scale of the game and what it can do, most will or have already forgotten day one issues, as a wishlist patch list what put out in a few hours with so far almost everything fixed as it's in testing now, no idea who or how many were on it tbh, but the developer are very happy and pleased and so far the forum feedback has been very high and positive so regarding the numbers with issues, most have either been answered and sorted or will be on the first patch, sales have been excellent btw  :howdy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
I have it since day 1.

Not had much time with it yet
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline budd

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
There's a link in the TOAW 3 forums to a bunch of downloads for scenarios from all versions of TOAW , 600+ scenarios. I converted a few in TOAW4 and they seemed to work just fine, its quite a list. Only played one so far, Zulu wars scenario and it seemed to play fine, not sure they all will though but there's a lot of interesting scenarios on the list.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »
There's a link in the TOAW 3 forums to a bunch of downloads for scenarios from all versions of TOAW , 600+ scenarios. I converted a few in TOAW4 and they seemed to work just fine, its quite a list. Only played one so far, Zulu wars scenario and it seemed to play fine, not sure they all will though but there's a lot of interesting scenarios on the list.

Thats what I like. different eras/conflicts  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
This game is already in my chest comrades.

I'm new to TAOW and i've found it splendid and, for some way, something to cover my disappointing with Point of Attack 2.5 and Tigers Unleashed.

I found the game a must have beucase it's a multi-era platform and this is a feature that is in the top of my list.

The only thing that i would give a thumbs down is the editor. It's not so hard to master it, however, it was not made by someone thinking in make the life of scenario creators easy. A good example of that is the editor UI and how do you paint, edit and remove titles, a real "ant way of work" that could be improved, that's for sure.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Offline zakblood

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 05:26:27 AM »
the game is still developing so like the whole game, the editor will also get some loving over time, beta patch is up for the main game with some good added bit, over the life of the game, the editor will also hopefully get the same amount of time spent on it as the rest has and involve into something better for all to use
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »
TOAW IV AAR for beginners! Campaign for North

Do you think you are not able to handle the complexity of The Operational Art of War IV? Have you always wondered what scenario could be played by beginners?

Our forum member warspite1 has decided to test himself in battle and he is currently doing a very nice AAR about the “Campaign for North Africa 40D-43”!

From his own words, “I've never played TOAW before but as there is a North Africa Campaign, I think that is good reason to play the game!  I like to try and get into games and start the fun stuff with as little pre-reading before hand so there will be lots of mistakes along the way. But I like to do these AAR from a sort of "Numpty's eye view". As ever I will be asking lots of questions so if anyone has the time and inclination, I would welcome any help anyone wishes to give....”

Take a look at his AAR! Veterans and newcomers will find it pretty entertaining and helpful!

Kudos to warspite1 for the great job done so far!

Get The Operational Art of War IV now!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
TOAW IV Vietnam Campaigns

The Vietnam War was very unique, it was the first time that the US used on operational level helicopters to transport troops in areas hard to reach and to support ground troops. High trained troops, from small teams of Special Forces to autonomous battalions, were deployed to put in practice new counterinsurgency tactics.

Guerrilla forces fought against conventional ones on a scale rarely seen before.

The Operational Art of War IV offers a huge array of scenarios and campaigns covering almost every military operation that occurred in this conflict, ranging from multi years campaigns to single (but crucial!) battles.

Our forum user Primarchx has done a nice overview of these scenarios contained in the game, giving his impressions and thoughts on scale, kind of units and so on!

Take a look here! It’s definitely a good post if you want to read a bit about this setting!
Grab The Operational Art of War IV now!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
The Operational Art of War IV V. 4.0.1.23 is available!

Good news from the front! The Operational Art of War IV[/uerl] has reached a new important milestone, as version 4.0.1.23 is now available!

This new version brings a lot of bug fixes and improvements requested by the players, making the game deeper than ever!

Some highlights:

-   Combat Planner now respects the Scaling factor in the opart 4 fonts.ini file.
-   Fixed crash bug caused by using new scales
-   The scrolling has been made easier
-   A whole new scenario – Directive 41 – has been added
-   And more!

The changelog is very long, so be sure to check it out below.

You can download the update from [link=http://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/TheOperationalArtOfWarIV/TheOperationalArtofWar4-UpdateComp-v4.0.1.23.zip]here[/link].

New to the game? Watch these tutorials!

Version 4.0.1.23 Changelog

•   Found and fixed the bug that causes the formation lines to show up
•   Fixed issue with the AI not moving Ships. It may have prevented some land units from moving as well
•   Fixed crash in AirAndFleetInterdiction
•   Fixed issue with Chinese in diplomacy pouch
•   Fixed issue with zoom in classic view leaving classic view
•   Fixed issue with loading/saving non-game object like units
•   Added titles over buttons in the new game dialog
•   Fixed netAwards
•   F1 now opens the manual
•   Made scrolling easier
•   Increased the scrolling area around the main map to 32 pixels
•   Modified the dialog boxes so that the mouse capture no longer extends beyond the visible area
•   Modified the dialog boxes so that the drag area is 15 pixels around the visible area
•   Hid the warfare panel on screens equal to or smaller than 1024x768
•   Diplomacy Pouch now wordwraps (Needs testing)
•   Minor changes to the diplomacy panel and progress bar. The prophecies at the bottom were not aligned
•   Combat Planner now respects the Scaling factor in the opart 4 fonts.ini file. If you go above about 1.5 there will be overlap.To help isolate and/or fix the problems some people are having with Chinese logins, if you add a file called DefaultFolder.txt file and put the path to the folder inside, it will use that instead of trying to find the my documents folder. To use this, you might create a folder called C:/TOAW and put contents of Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV and all it's subfolders into it. Then launch TOAW as an administrator and it should work
•   Game Select dialog now has labels for the buttons. This should help new players
•   PBEM Errors should no longer leave you on a blank screen
•   Removed the extra sound from the combat planner
•   Modifed startup code to give better errors on startup issues
•   Shifted units slightly in the smaller map views to look better
•   MapPanelButtons is now draggable
•   Tweaked the position of the counters on the map
•   Fixed the issue with right scroll not working after changing from large to small map view
•   Fixed the bug that was causing PBEM crashes
•   Fixed DefaultFolder.txt file
•   Fixed crash bug caused by using new scales
•   Fixed issue with the game not registering that the mouse was moved to the default button
•   Made a change that may help with the black boxes
•   Fixed loading a unit into the editor
•   Tooltips should now remain onscreen
•   The editor will no longer crash with a bad OOB, instead it will try to clean it up and give warnings
•   Did some more rewriting to make the scenario loading code even more bulletproof
•   The mouse now works when clicking on more of the tabs on the button panel instead of the right half
•   Hints no longer happen when a popup menu is open
•   Supply over railroads when there is a RoadCost other than the default now work correctly
•   I also modified the AirBorne cost when there is a RoadCost other than the default but haven't had a chance to test it
•   Made a change that might help with the issue of the combat report dialog crashing
•   The close dialog on the New Scenario Dialog now returns to the start screen
•   Fixed saving JPGs
•   To help diagnose an issue some people are having with pauses, if you open the Opart 4.ini file in Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV and add a line labeled smallram=Y it may help
•   Added in some updates to the expanded time and distance rules
•   Added a Graphics entry under the [Scaling] section fo the Opart 4 Fonts.ini file. This upscales many of the graphics. Values greater than one make things bigger, values less than one make things smaller. This should be used with larger or smaller fonts
•   Added a flag to the Opart file called HugeIcon. It will show up once you launch the new version and close it. It changes the icon on the unit panel to be ahuge_2D view
•   Updated a number of scenarios to match their updates posted on the forum
•   Added Directive 41 scenario
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »
Great patch.

But i'm still waiting for the one that will make mission editing easier.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Tags:

Card generator & Computer App to select + ASL themed game

Started by gameleaper

Replies: 1
    Views: 3139
    Last post November 22, 2017, 03:33:37 PM
    by Asid
    Wars of Succession - How a Professional Pessimist Evicted Eugene of Savoy: By JC

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 3046
    Last post February 13, 2018, 02:34:16 PM
    by Asid
    Wargaming Slot Machine

Started by gameleaper

Replies: 1
    Views: 911
    Last post May 03, 2022, 06:35:32 PM
    by gameleaper
    Official Call of Dutyฎ: Modern Warfareฎ - Reveal Trailer