Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Afghanistan '11 - The Quest for the Light Infantry Mindset: By JC  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC

Sunday, April 9, 2017
By: JC
Afghanistan '11 - The Quest for the Light Infantry Mindset

Afghanistan '11 is such a brilliant game that makes me want to put it through its paces. I am a big fan of William Lind's work and one of his recent books is just about fighting insurgencies. So here I go for a short open question.

Oh yeah. The Taliban show up in mass against my forward operating base.

In 4th Generation Warfare Handbook
, Lind and Thiele argue that this type of warfare is essentially a light infantry's fight. The real life Taliban and militias, as well as the ones portrayed in Afghanistan '11 pack very nimble kits, and their firepower is limited. But according to the before mentioned book, light infantry's main asset is its mobility.

In an ideal situation, forces fighting an insurgency should mirror the enemy and adopt the so-called "light infantry mentality": be always ready, improvise to make up for the absence of massive firepower, develop an ambush mentality and (above all) be extremely mobile.

How to fight the Taliban and militias as a light infantry force? How to be mobile enough to deserve the title "light infantry"?

Although indispensable, moving troops with MRAPs is moderately demanding. In this scenario, with barely enough resources, a terrain that constrains our movement to roads (IED alleys)  and very little intelligence on the enemy (its just turn 2), I had to provide a mine/IED removal team. Not too much of a bargain considering the convoy's limited range.

Read on: Click Here
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

Formata

Started by Asid

Replies: 19