Translations for our friends around the world.

IL-2 Sturmovik

BO-9IyACUAAxqUu

Author Topic: Epic buff run  (Read 10532 times)

Offline Longknife

Epic buff run
« on: January 05, 2017, 11:49:20 PM »
Was flying IL2 online last night & it is my habit to fly a fighter, 109F typically in any case I got the urge to fly a bomber & try to take out the Russians train depot.

I chose the 111 for no better reason then I think its a cool looking bomber & It packs a big bomb load. I took 1 2500kg & 1 1000kg bomb, its max payload & climbed to 4k which is usually a pretty safe altitude. Most of the Russian planes dont perform well at that altitude so they generally dont go up there. I was pretty pleased with myself having navigated to the target & lined up for the perfect bomb run, not easy with no map updates & in the winter.  I made my drop on the depot & had good hits despite the heavy cloud cover but thats not the interesting part of the story. As I started back toward base I got jumped by a yak. My gunners pinged him up pretty good.

What he did next was unexpected.

The bastard RAMMED ME!

The force of impact threw my 111 into a spin.

I was about to bail out when I realized I was able to control the plane somewhat but the impact had severed my elevator cables. I decided to try to make it back to friendly lines & bail over it. I was steadily losing altitude but able to point the plane to the closest friendly line. The server keeps track of if you bail over enemy territory & are captured or if you bail over friendly territory & I wanted my flight to count so I decided to risk it.

As I descended & got into thicker air my engines started to over RPM so I lowered them. In doing so the nose dropped so I applied power & low & behold the nose came up. Playing it with a bit I realized I had very crude pitch control so I tried to make it back to base.

As I got close to the base I dropped the gear but did not get a locked light. Oh well nothing I can do about it.

Touchdown & the gear collapses but I am safely back to base.

As I said I am not much into flying buffs but this was a very rewarding flight. I may just have to do it more often.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Epic buff run
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »
Very nice Longknife.  8)

Keep em coming
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Tuna

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
lol.. and I tried umpteen times to take off in it last night, but I eventually gave up and just joined Nef and 2nd in World of Warhips!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:24:36 AM »
It can be challenging but IMO the JU88 is harder & I flat out cant take off in the PE2, I think I have some kind of mental block or something...

In the 111 & 88 the key is flaps & trim. I do 20% flaps & trim up just a tad. Once lined up slam the throttle to full (you can slowly apply throttle but it takes every bit of runway you can get to get airborne. The BoS runways are kind short) & use rudder to stay centered on the runway. Let the tail come up, dont force it & wait till you are near the end of the runway to try to rotate. Thats how I do it anyway & am successful most of the time lol
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tuna

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 02:12:14 AM »
Tonight I took off ok, and actually bombed a target successfully. I was shot down right after, but that's ok.

Next I tried for an Airfield, I guess that wasn't smart with the AA and fighters

tried to put some screenshots up on photobucket, but jeez that service is getting very painful to work with!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:14:41 AM »
Yep airfield AAA will eat your lunch if you less then 3000 meters & you are better off at 4000. If you think the AAA is bad in SP try it in MP. They have it set crazy hard.

Agreed Photobucket is really starting to suck.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
So Tuna were you flying this on SP or MP? If MP which server?

I would be happy to link up with you & fly sometime.

I have also recently figured out the mission editor & am currently working on some co-op vs AI missions recreating Operation Barbarossa. I believe they will be pretty fun when done.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tuna

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 02:19:00 AM »
That server we were on tonight.. Sorry I botched up the change of altitude and missed my target!.. But you almost rescued me!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:49:30 AM »
It was fun Tuna, we will have to do it again. I watched the recording & the guy I smoked isnt the one that pinged you up. Turns out the guy I got was in a Lagg but there was a high Yak 1 BnZing you. I didnt see him until after you went down.

I took some screen shots as well. Late now but I will post them later.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 05:09:28 AM »
Been trying to upload these to Photobucket & It just flat aint working. They have gotten very shaky recently. Just created a acct with Flickr & uploaded these in a flash.

Tuna & I about to take off.

Cannon hits on the Lagg

He spun himself out of my sights, not sure if intentional or accidental.

Once you catch fire your time is almost up.

I was able to smoke the Yak that got Tuna but then a co-alt Yak showed up & it was time to leave. They chansed me all the way back to base but gave up once our AAA opened up on them.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• HAVOC
  • Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
Great pictures. I use imgur website instead of photobucket. IL2 looks tempting, but the price has to be right, and right now it ain't right.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tuna

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
Awesome pictures!.. I guess I'm gonna have to learn the 'free camera' mode for playback!.. How do I see your paint job in game, do I need to get an art template from you and install it on my PC?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
I love IL2! Western Russian is pretty flat & featureless (save lakes & rivers) & yet the graphics are good enough that it is very pretty to fly in.

Yeah the price is pretty steep, around $200 for all add ons (including the early access Battle of Kaban) but I got BoM & 3 planes while there was a steam sale so that eased my pain a bit.

Tuna you can get a all squads skins HERE. If you just want to see mine I am in 4. Staffel Jagdgeschwader 52 (4./JG52). Summer & Winter skins are included. I believe they are lower resolution skins. What you are seeing my screen shots are 4k skins for members only.

We also have a Zerstorer Staffel as part of our Gruppe. The skins for the 110 & Stucka are in it. You can fly with these skins if you like. When in modify aircraft just click  on "custom" for the skins.

The above shots were from a recent MP mission. It was great fun!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »
Yeah the price is pretty steep, around $200 for all add ons (including the early access Battle of Kaban) but I got BoM & 3 planes while there was a steam sale so that eased my pain a bit.

Ouch!

Great screenshots Longknife. keep em coming  8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Tuna

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:43 AM »
Deleted my Photobucket account and signed up for Flickr.. thanks for the recommendation!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: