Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: War in the Pacific Admirals Edition  (Read 14405 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
War in the Pacific Admirals Edition
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:48:44 PM »
War in the Pacific Admiral Edition gets a massive update!

Battleships are back on the Pacific Ocean! We are very proud to announce that one of the biggest updates of all time is coming today. Indeed, even if War In The Pacific Admiral’s Edition was already the most detailed wargame focused on the Pacific theater ever, this update is going to push the boundaries of awesomeness still further! Thanks to dozens of changes and enhancements, version 1.01.24 will live in the community’s memory for a very long time. As it’s impossible to list all of the gameplay and technical improvements here, I invite you to click on this link to get access to the huge changelog associated with this patch.

Get it here:
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/WarInThePacifc-AdmiralsEdition/WarinthePacificAdmiralsEdition-UpdateComp-v1124.zip

Change log:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3822047
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
War in the Pacific Admirals Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition

50% off

This is a real Monster!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admirals.Edition

Based on the award winning War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games and Matrix Games, the standalone expansion, Gary Grigsby’s War in the Pacific - Admiral’s Edition, adds significant improvements and changes to the original title to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition is the most realistic and engrossing WWII Pacific theatre game available. The immense scale is 40 miles per hex with losses covering individual vehicles, aircraft, guns and squads. Since half the planet Earth is covered by the titanic Pacific struggle, the game is massive in scope, covering thousands of ships tens of thousands of aircraft.

There are 15 campaigns included with the game, which can be played against the computer opponent, hot seat, and by secure email. Combined with a robust and time-proven engine, War in the Pacific – Admiral’s Edition gives you the chance to fight the entire war your way on every level.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• Bellum Simulatis
Re: War in the Pacific Admirals Edition
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
As some are already aware, I purchased War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition (WitP:AE) when it was on sale for 50% off the usual price of $79.99 USD at Matrix Games. Just recently I worked up the nerve to crack open the manual. Asid warned me--several times--not to purchase the game as he feared I would never be seen nor heard from again. I have no regret for purchasing the game--yet.

"Study sim" is an understatement when describing this game.

One customer wrote "WitP-AE is THE magnum opus of all wargames, a true masterpiece of research and detail. The game is not for the faint of heart, however. It is easy to become intimidated by the depth and scope of the game which covers the entire Pacific war from the West Coast USA, westward to the tip of the horn of Africa."

Another customer, however, was not nearly as enamored with WitP:AE and wrote "It took less than 30 minutes for me to determine that this game is so bogged down in minutiae that it is unplayable for all realistic purposes...To top it all off, with one-day turns, it will take almost as long to play the full war scenario as the real Pacific War took to fight. I spent 50 bucks on this game and uninstalled the game the same afternoon. Avoid this like the plague."

So, choose your poison. Clearly this game is not for everyone--or the faint at heart. You must be the type of person who loves the details and as the one reviewer wrote "the minutiae". The process of issuing orders during just the first turn of the full campaign will take the better part of the day to complete--for just that one turn...and if you don't appreciate or understand the importance of logistics, you are doomed to failure and frustration.

Logistics: War in the Pacific purports to model logistics to the nth degree. As I mentioned, if you fail to grasp its importance your experience will suffer. Let me quote some experts on the matter to drive my point home:

"Clearly, logistics is the hard part of fighting a war."
- Lt. Gen. E. T. Cook, USMC, November 1990

"Gentlemen, the officer who doesn't know his communications and supply as well as his tactics is totally useless."
- Gen. George S. Patton, USA

"Bitter experience in war has taught the maxim that the art of war is the art of the logistically feasible."
- ADM Hyman Rickover, USN

"Forget logistics, you lose."
- Lt. Gen. Fredrick Franks, USA, 7th Corps Commander, Desert Storm

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980

"I am tempted to make a slightly exaggerated statement: that logistics is all of war-making, except shooting the guns, releasing the bombs, and firing the torpedoes."
- ADM Lynde D. McCormick, USN

And so I have launched my endeavor to play the full campaign as the Allies. I thought I knew a thing or two about logistics. My confidence shrank when I considered the expanse of water known as the Pacific Ocean. As I considered the map and the immense distances involved I realized I would need to bolster, reinforce, re-supply, add-to, increase, expand my knowledge of logistics as it pertains to the Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO).

Perhaps this is what I like about WitP:AE already; that it has forced me out of my comfort zone and challenged me to learn more about the PTO. Consider this; Matrix Games forum has a multitude of topics on the various products they sell. None comes close to the number of posts that WitP:AE contains. WitP;AE has five sub-forums that altogether have 640,079 posts in 25,192 topics as of the date/time of this post. By contrast, Gary Grigsby's War in the East has 161,832 postings. I've spent countless hours this past month soaking in the knowledge contained in some of these postings, as well as reading the manual, addendum, and reference material.

I've also been reading at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/PTO/index.html where I came upon "The Amphibians Came to Conquer - The Story of Admiral Richmond Kelly Turner", an 1191 page tome about amphibious operations in the Pacific region during WWII. Of course the US Marines love this book and made it into a Fleet Marine Force Reference Publication (FMFRP), specifically FMFRP 12-109-1 which is freely available at http://goo.gl/DVn50W

So, in conclusion: It's been nice knowing you all and I'll post the results of my first full campaign sometime during the year 2018...

But seriously, this might take a while... I'll try to keep you informed about my efforts with regards to War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition. Until next time, fair winds and following seas Shipmates!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
That’s a great post Beef. I look forward to reading about your journey that is WITP. Remember the screen shots....

WITP AE is without a doubt a monster. I have it but I have the monster caged...For now. It is mind boggling in its depth. If anyone is even remotely interested in the subject matter then this is the de facto simulation.

Beef commented about the WITP forum on Matrix and how alive it is even though the sim was released a while back. It has a dedicated hard-core fan base. It also has regular updates by a knowledgeable member of that community. It would take a loooong time to read through that forum.

Alas Beef... I knew him well.....This is a time sink but I hope you will surface regularly to play with the Vu.

Remember the screen shots ;)

Just to add. A game can last many months if not years. PBEM games have been played over a few years.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:28:53 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
Operation Glacier - Trailer

"spoof" trailer for a War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition PBEM matchup vs BalooganCampaign of www.baloogancampaign.com.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3964161
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
New Pacific War Bug Fixes / Enhancement

By Rich Dionne
Original post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3954737

After much pain and struggle, I’ve managed to figure out a way to edit the Pacwar EXE with the goal of finally fixing some of the long standing bugs, and perhaps even enhancing the game somewhat. This is a work in progress; as I’m sure you Pacwar veterans know, there’s lots to fix! I’ve uploaded a new version of the PAC.EXE (version 3.2.2) at the link provided below. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t81db05i0ull3rq/Pacwar322.zip?dl=0

If you want to try it, first save your original PAC.EXE version (3.2) to a different name so you don’t lose it, and then unzip and copy the new EXE into your game directory (rename it from PAC322.EXE to PAC.EXE). I hope you like it. I’ve also included a SAVEA file to highlight the differences between the official 3.2 version of the game and my new 3.2.1 version. Here a description of the first set of bugs I’ve tried to fix.

Teleportation Bug: This old bug involved different ways of “teleporting” ships (including loaded cargo) around the map using a variety of techniques. The bug was recently well described by Istfemer on the Pacific War Forum (link below):

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3664408

In general, the bug was based around transferring ships between TFs that weren’t in the same location, or disbanding a TF to a base that is not in the same location as the TF. My new version of the EXE should fix this bug. The new code prevents TFs from disbanding unless the base and TF are in the same location, and it prevents ship transfer between TFs unless they’re in the same location. Try out the new EXE (confirm it works) and let me know if I missed any “teleportation” techniques.

Replenishment Bugs: There seem to be many bugs surrounding replenishment. I’ve made an attempt to eliminate some of them, although I’m sure some still exist; it’s a work in progress. The new EXE fixes (hopefully) the bug that prevents carriers from getting refueled (generally when no aircraft replenishment is available). The new code also allows CV TFs to be replenished with aircraft if the replenishment TF is only carrying aircraft. You can look at differences between the version 3.2 and 3.2.1 by loading the SAVEA file. If you open SAVEA in human player mode, you will notice I have placed TFs in 3 different areas to test out replenishment.

The first area at hex 24, 25 shows a typical replenishment setup (containing both air and fuel replenishment ships). This should work OK for both versions of the EXE.

The next setup at hex 50, 19 shows a replenishment TF with fuel only. Version 3.2 has a problem with Air Combat TFs refueling from this replenishment TF (no refueling takes place). Version 3.2.1 should fix this.

The last setup at 37, 39 has air replenishment only. This type of replenishment doesn’t work at all in version 3.2. Version 3.2.1 should now replenish Air Combat TFs. Try it.

Target Priorities: I don’t know about you, but I have been often frustrated when my air base or Air Combat TF doesn’t attack a juicy target that is nearby, concentrating instead on an airfield, for example. In Version 3.2.1, I have adjusted the code so that if you set an air base target type (using alt-B) or set an Air Combat target priority (using the “F” key), you should now see the EXE giving a greater focus on the target you have set. This doesn’t always work, but you should see an improvement. You can try this by opening the SAVEA file again. In human player mode, as Japanese, adjust the target priority at your Gasmata base (near Rabaul). I have the target currently set for “Port”. Try adjusting this and running the execution phase for both Version 3.2 and 3.2.1. You should see some difference.

Zones of control: I’m sure you’ve noticed that the AI regularly sends Allied TFs returning to base to take the scenic route, through the Japanese Empire! The new 3.2.1 version of PAC.EXE should be much more respectful of enemy territory. You can see this difference by again opening up the SAVEA file, running the execution phase, and focusing on Allied TFs 50 (heading to Port Moresby) and 51 (heading for Darwin). Look at the difference between version 3.2 (living dangerously!) and 3.2.1. You will note in 3.2.1 that the TFs should try to skirt around enemy territory, although they may pause during their return to base; this is due to the close proximity of Japanese ZOCs (basically, this is still a work in progress and very hard to fix, I’m still unhappy with how close the TFs get to enemy ZOCs), but they should continue moving on the next turn.

I’ve also made a couple more minor fixes:

You will now get victory points for lost aircraft due to bombardment, either air or naval (Version 3.2 does not give points for this).

I’ve also adjusted HQ supply & fuel on-hand multipliers to 1000 to limit oil / resource disappearance during the routine convoy phase. This issue was described in my old forum post below:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3026840&mpage=1&key=routine%2Cconvoy�

I’m currently working on a major fix for the oil, resource, and routine convoy routines.

Try out version 3.2.1 and let me know what you think. Also, if you have a bug or enhancement request that‘s been driving you crazy for years, let me know, and I’ll add it to the list of potential fixes. Keep in mind; however, that I’m basically working with machine code to make these changes, and major enhancements, such as AI improvement, may be beyond my reach (although I may even try to improve that!)

Regards,

Rich
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »
New Pacific War Bug Fixes / Enhancement

By Rich Dionne
Original post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3954737

After much pain and struggle, I’ve managed to figure out a way to edit the Pacwar EXE with the goal of finally fixing some of the long standing bugs, and perhaps even enhancing the game somewhat. This is a work in progress; as I’m sure you Pacwar veterans know, there’s lots to fix! I’ve uploaded a new version of the PAC.EXE (version 3.2.2) at the link provided below. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t81db05i0ull3rq/Pacwar322.zip?dl=0

If you want to try it, first save your original PAC.EXE version (3.2) to a different name so you don’t lose it, and then unzip and copy the new EXE into your game directory (rename it from PAC322.EXE to PAC.EXE). I hope you like it. I’ve also included a SAVEA file to highlight the differences between the official 3.2 version of the game and my new 3.2.1 version. Here a description of the first set of bugs I’ve tried to fix.

Teleportation Bug: This old bug involved different ways of “teleporting” ships (including loaded cargo) around the map using a variety of techniques. The bug was recently well described by Istfemer on the Pacific War Forum (link below):

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3664408

In general, the bug was based around transferring ships between TFs that weren’t in the same location, or disbanding a TF to a base that is not in the same location as the TF. My new version of the EXE should fix this bug. The new code prevents TFs from disbanding unless the base and TF are in the same location, and it prevents ship transfer between TFs unless they’re in the same location. Try out the new EXE (confirm it works) and let me know if I missed any “teleportation” techniques.

Replenishment Bugs: There seem to be many bugs surrounding replenishment. I’ve made an attempt to eliminate some of them, although I’m sure some still exist; it’s a work in progress. The new EXE fixes (hopefully) the bug that prevents carriers from getting refueled (generally when no aircraft replenishment is available). The new code also allows CV TFs to be replenished with aircraft if the replenishment TF is only carrying aircraft. You can look at differences between the version 3.2 and 3.2.1 by loading the SAVEA file. If you open SAVEA in human player mode, you will notice I have placed TFs in 3 different areas to test out replenishment.

The first area at hex 24, 25 shows a typical replenishment setup (containing both air and fuel replenishment ships). This should work OK for both versions of the EXE.

The next setup at hex 50, 19 shows a replenishment TF with fuel only. Version 3.2 has a problem with Air Combat TFs refueling from this replenishment TF (no refueling takes place). Version 3.2.1 should fix this.

The last setup at 37, 39 has air replenishment only. This type of replenishment doesn’t work at all in version 3.2. Version 3.2.1 should now replenish Air Combat TFs. Try it.

Target Priorities: I don’t know about you, but I have been often frustrated when my air base or Air Combat TF doesn’t attack a juicy target that is nearby, concentrating instead on an airfield, for example. In Version 3.2.1, I have adjusted the code so that if you set an air base target type (using alt-B) or set an Air Combat target priority (using the “F” key), you should now see the EXE giving a greater focus on the target you have set. This doesn’t always work, but you should see an improvement. You can try this by opening the SAVEA file again. In human player mode, as Japanese, adjust the target priority at your Gasmata base (near Rabaul). I have the target currently set for “Port”. Try adjusting this and running the execution phase for both Version 3.2 and 3.2.1. You should see some difference.

Zones of control: I’m sure you’ve noticed that the AI regularly sends Allied TFs returning to base to take the scenic route, through the Japanese Empire! The new 3.2.1 version of PAC.EXE should be much more respectful of enemy territory. You can see this difference by again opening up the SAVEA file, running the execution phase, and focusing on Allied TFs 50 (heading to Port Moresby) and 51 (heading for Darwin). Look at the difference between version 3.2 (living dangerously!) and 3.2.1. You will note in 3.2.1 that the TFs should try to skirt around enemy territory, although they may pause during their return to base; this is due to the close proximity of Japanese ZOCs (basically, this is still a work in progress and very hard to fix, I’m still unhappy with how close the TFs get to enemy ZOCs), but they should continue moving on the next turn.

I’ve also made a couple more minor fixes:

You will now get victory points for lost aircraft due to bombardment, either air or naval (Version 3.2 does not give points for this).

I’ve also adjusted HQ supply & fuel on-hand multipliers to 1000 to limit oil / resource disappearance during the routine convoy phase. This issue was described in my old forum post below:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3026840&mpage=1&key=routine%2Cconvoy�

I’m currently working on a major fix for the oil, resource, and routine convoy routines.

Try out version 3.2.1 and let me know what you think. Also, if you have a bug or enhancement request that‘s been driving you crazy for years, let me know, and I’ll add it to the list of potential fixes. Keep in mind; however, that I’m basically working with machine code to make these changes, and major enhancements, such as AI improvement, may be beyond my reach (although I may even try to improve that!)

Regards,

Rich

I think this is for a different game titled Pacific War-Matrix Edition, a free download from Matrix and originally from 2003.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
War in the Pacific AE Twitch with Giveaway

On December 7th 19141, the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service launched "Operation AI", a pre-emptive strike against the US Pacific Fleet stationing at the Hawaiian base of Pearl Harbor. On that day - "the day of infamy" on Roosevelt words - the Japanese damaged seriously all the battleships and sunk some, almost a hundred of US aircraft got destroyed and more than two thousand men were killed. The Japanese thought to have put the United States off from the chance to interfere with the establishment of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. What they did, on the contrary, was to wake a sleeping bear.

December 7th didn't mark the supremacy of the Japanese Empire, it marked the beginning of its end.

Join us today on our official Twitch Channel at 6 PM GMT and watch XTRG playing War in the Pacific Admiral Edition. We will be running a giveaway during the stream so be sure not to miss this great event!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »
Join Matrix/Slitherine today on Twitch with XTRG playing War in the Pacific AE

XTRG will be playing War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition today January 16th on our Official Twitch Channel at 6PM GMT / 1PM EST / 10AM PST!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare: FREE

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2864
    Last post March 27, 2017, 04:17:03 PM
    by Asid
    Windows 10 update warning! KB4482887 can slow games performance!

Started by Asid

Views: 2853
    Last post March 08, 2019, 12:05:23 PM
    by Asid
    Field of Honor : FPS/Strategic Napoleonic wargame

Started by Asid

Views: 299
    Last post March 05, 2024, 04:01:05 PM
    by Asid
    Victory At Sea Pacific