Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Interview With Zipuli  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
Interview With Zipuli
« on: December 09, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/09/the-flare-path-a-typical-atypical-simmer-2/
Highly recommended view of a guy we Steel Beasts players know well. :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Interview With Zipuli
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
One of the best SteelBeasts reads out there!
From this...

...to this...

...and this!

Some gems from Zipuli.

“According to my mother I spent too much time in the virtual turret, fighting off waves of Soviet armour, but little did she know… such games were also a great way of learning English!
Not a single game can convey the actual atmosphere of being inside a rocking and roaring metal box, firing rounds at targets kilometers away. And what games tell you about a tankers’ life is only about 10% of the actual work.
The only big thing the title lacks is proper simulation of the hull’s life – the sort of rich mud-spattered driving experience offered by sims like Steel Armor: Blaze of War by Graviteam, or, even better, the brilliant Spintires by Oovee. But SB more than makes up for it in other departments, like the fire-control systems and AI!
It was quickly noticed that training results improved, especially in gunnery, where theory instruction could be followed up with invaluable hands-on experimentation. This of course requires a high fidelity simulation otherwise crew-members may learn bad habits that can backfire in real exercises. And the main thing to understand about this kind of training is that it teaches you the principles only, so it’s mainly intellectual learning augmented with some physical handling of instruments, for example by using simulated gunner’s control handles. The real learning comes when the troops go out and do the same things with real equipment. With good simulator training behind them, the troops get better training results in the field as they’ve made most of the mistakes already in virtual environments.”

“The situation improved when a decision was made to acquire SB software and to build a simulated CV9030 to be used from crew training up to simulated tactical maneuvers. As I happened to be in the right place at the right time, and already had years of experience with SB, I along with a few others was appointed to “get it done”. And so we did.”
“The difference between even the best simulation software and the real vehicles is physical and mechanical of course.”
This automation, muscle memory, and becoming one with the vehicle cannot be obtained in a classroom, and it can only be trained up to a point with other simulation equipment. So simulation equipment really does not remove the need for actually drilling, but rather makes it more effective when supported properly.
“Mom was wrong – playing games can lead to a career!

For the rest of us, playing games can lead to ... playing games. :-)
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:26:48 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Zipuli

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
Hi guys!

Nice to see the interview read =)

I have been away from Steel Beasts... well, the personal edition at least, for a while now. It's because of my game project, which sucks all free time from my life. Hopefully the tracks are still rolling when I get back! BTW: Is the new terrain engine and visuals already implemented in the PE version?

Cheers,
Zip
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
Hi guys!

Nice to see the interview read =)

I have been away from Steel Beasts... well, the personal edition at least, for a while now. It's because of my game project, which sucks all free time from my life. Hopefully the tracks are still rolling when I get back! BTW: Is the new terrain engine and visuals already implemented in the PE version?

Cheers,
Zip
I look forward to seeing you back. :) The new terrain engine and visuals are coming with 4.1, which . Here are some links to an interview with Ssnake, some screenshots from that interview, and what might be the first sighting of the new HE/fragmentation model:
http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,3441.msg28668.html#msg28668
http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,3441.msg28674.html#msg28674
http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,5985.0.html
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Tags:

SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco