Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Importance of the flag bearer  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Importance of the flag bearer
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
In SOW the flag bearer is very important.

Why is this? The flag represents the centre of the formation. The engine concentrates on the flag and ignores the end points of the formation. The flag is the point which ends up on the destination arrow. When you pivot etc, the flag is the point of reference.

The flag is used for Line Of Sight calculations. For example. You spot part of a brigade on a ridge but the flag is not showing as it is on the blind side of the ridge. Your ai cannot target the brigade as it has not seen the flag.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
Re: Importance of the flag bearer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
Flag is also important to determine the terrain where your unit is (defensive bonus).

If the flag is on a wall, all the men in the battalion/squadron are considered to be on it (and take the defensive bonus) also if they are not visually there.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
Thats good to know. So all troops then are benefited or impeded by the location of the flag?

I assume that for example forest terrain. It gives a benefit to concealment (harder to hit) but should then also have a hindrance to accuracy (harder to hit what you are aiming at). So then say only the flag & a few troops are in a small copse of woods & the vast majority of you runit is not then all troops would have the same hindrance & benefit of the cover of the woods?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 05:23:52 PM »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »

Terrain Effects on Visibility

When attempting to hide troops, a good rule of thumb is that if you can see any enemy troops, they can see you.

Thanks this was a good post but the questions remains. If I can see his flank but not his center (read flag) then insofar as the AI is concerned he is hidden right? Moreover any shots taken by my men (assuming they even target him with the flag not being visible) would be against a target in the woods even though his flank is visible assuming that was what was obscuring the flag correct?

This may all be semantics but it does make one say hmmm  ::)

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »

Thanks this was a good post but the questions remains. If I can see his flank but not his center (read flag) then insofar as the AI is concerned he is hidden right?
Yes

Moreover any shots taken by my men (assuming they even target him with the flag not being visible) would be against a target in the woods even though his flank is visible assuming that was what was obscuring the flag correct?

Yes but the ai on both sides can see a little into the trees and can at times see the flag.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: