Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: My Salute on This Day  (Read 3761 times)

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
My Salute on This Day
« on: November 11, 2016, 02:53:32 PM »
On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month in 1918 an armistice went in to affect. This armistice was "ending the war to end all wars". Whether you refer to this day as Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, Veteran's Day, or whatever your country may call it, I salute all of you who have donned the uniform and served your respective countries.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: My Salute on This Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
One of those men who lived to see the Armistice was my great-grandpa, Henry Dahl, who drove supplies in a horse-drawn wagon for the U.S. 3rd Pioneer Infantry Regiment.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »
Awesome Rinix! My grandfather was in the Rainbow Division as a litter bearer during the Argonne offensive. He grew tired of that job because as he would say "I was damn good with a rifle, and I wanted to shoot back!" Since he knew who the casualties were, he switched his name around during a roll call one morning when they were preparing to go "over the top"...and over he went. Well the Germans were having none of that and a machine gun bullet found its way in to my grandfather's abdomen. While he lay there wounded the Germans dropped mustard gas for good measure. He managed to get his mask on just enough to live, but his lungs were weak from the gas for years after. So he was convalescing at a hospital in France during the Armistice. To this day, his military record has him has AWOL on that day because of what he did.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: