Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Battle of Hastings re-enacted by 1,000 soldiers for 950th anniversary  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Battle of Hastings re-enacted by 1,000 soldiers for 950th anniversary

Invasion that transformed England in 1066 is commemorated in English Heritage’s once-in-a-lifetime restaging

English Heritage’s re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings at Battle Abbey on 15 and 16 October. Photograph: Guy Bell/Rex/Shutterstock

More than 1,000 soldiers have re-enacted English history’s defining battle on the site in East Sussex where it took place 950 years ago.
Battle of Hastings to rage again as re-enactors celebrate anniversary
Read more

Swords clashed, arrows flew and maces swung on Saturday as a group of chainmail-clad participants played out the 1066 Battle of Hastings – a conflict that changed the face of England.

There were falconry and weaponry displays, historical lectures and living history camps for 8,000 people attending the event, which also runs on Sunday.

By the coast near Hastings on 14 October 1066, the forces of Harold and Duke William of Normandy met. Anglo-Saxon King Harold was killed and William seized the English throne, in a battle whose bloodshed was later immortalised in the Bayeux tapestry. William earned his epithet of “the Conqueror” and in time the town of Battle grew up around an abbey built to commemorate the event.

A group of re-enactors end their 300-mile cross-country journey in Battle. Photograph: Tom Pugh/PA

Prior to Saturday’s re-enactment, a core group of diehards had marched for three weeks on foot and horseback starting in York, echoing the journey King Harold made to fight nearly 1,000 years ago.

The march, organised by English Heritage, was part of a series of events marking the 950th anniversary of the events of 1066 and the Norman conquest.
At home with Battle of Hastings re-enactors – in pictures
View gallery

Marching into central London, the re-enactors joined a pop-up Saxon encampment in Hyde Park on 8 October.

Nigel Amos, who led the 1066 march on behalf of English Heritage, said: “I have been involved in re-enactment for many years and for me this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Phil Harper, a spokesman for English Heritage, said it was the biggest event for several years.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
Re: Battle of Hastings re-enacted by 1,000 soldiers for 950th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It brings back memories from my English history classes at university, although I did not like the professor. I've jut finished watching Vikings and found Anglo-Saxon England period very interesting and trying to find some reading on this period. I've always been interested in WW2 but did not dwell on earlier periods, apart from Ancient Rome perhaps. Only recently did I find the Middle Ages or the Renaissance equally attractive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

The Battle of Gettysburg begins

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2815
    Last post July 01, 2016, 08:56:38 PM
    by Asid
    Forest Fire Area Simulator (FFAs)

Started by Asid

Views: 2979
    Last post October 10, 2015, 04:40:43 PM
    by Asid
    Airfix Battles, an introductory wargame! its fantastic!!

Started by gameleaper

Views: 1129
    Last post September 28, 2022, 09:18:01 PM
    by gameleaper
    Military Academy of Land Forces in Poland conduct training using VBS

Started by Asid

Views: 3535
    Last post August 11, 2015, 05:59:13 AM
    by Asid
    Fury-like moment in Combat Mission Battle For Normandy. Tiger vs Sherman tanks

Started by Frankie

Replies: 1
    Views: 3352
    Last post September 08, 2015, 04:14:03 PM
    by Asid