Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Janes 688i H/K game proposal  (Read 10963 times)

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
Janes 688i H/K game proposal
« on: October 06, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
Howdy!

Get ready to pull out youīr water boots/fishing boots from the closet and get youīr feet wet!

Ok hereīs the deal skippers...

After some talk yesterday on TS and that this idea has been wondering my mind for a bit. I think it would be alot of fun to get some of you into some online gameplay with 688i H/K.  I know some of you already know about Janes and itīs SSN type submarine sim so Iīll skip the introduction.

I would have opted for a newer version of this sim (Sub Command/Dangerous Waters) but I have a couple of reasons not to do so...

- At the time I played 688i in the Seawolves.org which I did for 3 years with 1-2 MP games per night, SC came out with the later DW.  The team in Seawolves did alot of testing with SC and DW and came to the conclusion that SC and DW had to many bugs in them as to use it as our main SSN sim for trainnig and MP.  That being said 688i is the most stable and reliable of the three thus worth spending the time to learn it and play it.

- I was spectical of buying it (I still have the original on CD, but misplaced the beautiful handbook) beacuse Iam now on W10 and do see some folks having issues with W10 and SC/DW but for what I paid for I said what the heck! It seemīs from the Steam community that out of the three, 688i has the least post with issues regarding 688i. I can now also confirm that it works just great on W10. There might be some issues with the campaign mode but there seems to be a fix for that. Alternatively the fun part about playing 688i is the multiplayer side and the knife fight missions. MP is done via IP and I have experience with the built in editor which is not that hard to master.

So my proposal is to gather some of you with interest in some MP action when ever possible.  Iam willing to give a crash course with 688i and show you the ropes and tactics used in MP knife fights. I wil go through the different stations and how to use them.  The only station that will be on auto is TMA crew as this needs some mastering.  With MP knife fights the 3D view will be incative for the ovius reason, there will also be a R.O.E of 5mins. before torps can be fired, this gives everybody the chance to set-up there sub for the fight. This was done in Seawolves.  There is a maximum of 8 players in MP so we canīt do much about that.

The MP knife fights are like playing chess or cat and mouse, thereīs bluffs in, stealth and other tactics that I will explain. Once a sub gives away itīs stealth to other players there will be some frenetic moments as the pinging of torps increses as they get close to your sub, so fun is guaranteed!

Please be so kind to post your interest and timeline of the week so I can set-up the trainning course which should last about an hour to an hour and a half. MP knife fights usualy donīt last more then an hour and we can also set a time limit.  Bear in mind that the MP knife fights maps are rather small so close incounter happens soon!

The game is on sale for the next 3 dayīs on GammerGate which will give you a Steam key (2,25€) the price of a beer with your buddyīs  8)

GamersGate:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-688IHK/688i-hunterkiller

Skippers I hope you dive in with me and we will meet somewhere in the Bering Strait for trainning...

The cold waters will make a man out of you!

Ahoy Skippers!

Red
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:53:26 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

Re: Janes 688i H/K game proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »
I remember this sim! I seen to recall it being pretty good. I should still have the CD or would I be better off just buying it through steam?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
I remember this sim! I seen to recall it being pretty good. I should still have the CD or would I be better off just buying it through steam?

The last time I tried to install my 688i CD on W7 it was a no go. it just would not recognize the original CD. If done so you would also need to patch it, If I remember correctly thereīs only one patch for 688i which I guess is already patched in the Steam version. Itīs not on sale at Steam, so if you do decide to get the Steam version you should get it from the link above which is the GamersGate Steam CD key.

Glad you like it Longknife and hope to see ya aboard! Knife fightīs also matches your nick  8)

Care,

Red
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:07:07 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
Hi Red...Time is always the enemy  :'(
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »
Hi Red...Time is always the enemy  :'(

I agree Asid unfortunatly. Thats one of the reasons for the crash course, to get people up and running fast. Also knife fights are really not that long, I say an hour beacuse of the learning curve at first which should only apply for the first two, three missions.  After that they usualy last 15-20min. specialy beacuse I would make the maps small.  Thereīs no sence in making a map big as you spend to much time looking for each other.  Like I said 3 years under my belt with 688i seen them in all colores and missions donīt last to long.  Besides Iīll catch you all before you can say "aye"  ;D Not beacuse I made the mission (theres random spawns involved at start).

No problem if no one has time for it, I just want to let you all know there is a posibility to do so if anyone decides so.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
REd sounds fun, I used to love 688 back when it was new. Of course since then I have totally forgotten how to play.

Always interested in jumping into a sub game, cant say I have the time for this at the moment but keep the idea handy for future maybe.

Have it on Steam, I assume that version is ok?  Might load it up and see how well it runs for me at least and tinker about.

thanks for taking the time to come up with this.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
I would be interested. I think I already picked this up in a bundle

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »
I'd love to play this sim. I've been even thinking about installing it again. I had 688i but spent most time with Dangerous Waters. Subs have always been my no. 3 military interest after aircraft and tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
So Sub Command is really that much worse than 688?
Seems like it runs better on newer systems but I havent messed with them as much as you have Red.

Can you talk a little about what the problems are with Sub Command?  Thanks

Edit: It looks like from something I was just reading that 688 actually has a much better campaign too so thats a good reason to tinker with 688 for me at least.  Just cant change the resolution like to can in Sub Command but I can get around that some what.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:15:48 PM by Stardog765 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 12:22:37 AM »
Glad you all find the Idea atractive and fun! Iam sure we will have a good time in 688i with multiplayer.  We could always set-up a quick knife fight half hour before a SB mission  :P

Regarding why 688i. As I said the Seawolves.org was heavy on ASW, actually I think from a hint Homer gave me over at Steel Beast forum (see link to post below) Homer (SB forum admin) is actualy VADM Homer from the Seawolves.org also responsable for the "Blue Book" of tactics along with ADM Blue!

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/10848-other-games-you-play-at-the-moment/?page=2

So Sub Command and Dangerous Waters wear hard and tried over at Seawolves and the end conclusion was they both had/have to many bugs to rely on.  You can find out for yourself...

Set up a mission or do a mission with subs in Sub Command or DW and once you have a contact or think you have one, launch a UUV torp in itīs direction (use the wire guide if needed) and look at the contatcs it picks up (all yellow beacuse there not classified yet), take a mental picture of where the contacts are on the map, you can launch some ADCAP torps at them too if you like.  Then end the mission and in the debrefing room choose replay and "show truth".  You will notice your UUV or on board sonar (if you assigned sonar  trackers to your contacts M1, M2 etc.) will show a bunch of "false contacts".  Which is a no no, BUGS!  This dose not happen with 688i.

The Blue Book:
http://www.subguru.com/downloads.html

You will notice that most pics are missing, this is an old doc file but the info is there

Another link but they donīt seem to work for me (you need to register in order to download)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=cat&id=22

Sonalysts:
http://www.sonalystscombatsimulations.com/game_downloads/game_downloads.html
Warning: Do not patch if you have a Steam version, it will break your game!

Steam community (688i).
http://steamcommunity.com/app/2900/discussions/

Yes we are talking about the Steam version of 688i H/K. Regarding resolution, I havent touched anything after installing it and it shows up in full screen (besides the splash screen at first). The game looks the same as to when I played it when it came out, nothing fancy.  You can check the link above (Steam community) for further help, or the Subsim forum.

Care,

Red

--
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:40:44 AM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:30:53 AM »
So Sub Command is really that much worse than 688?
Seems like it runs better on newer systems but I havent messed with them as much as you have Red.

Can you talk a little about what the problems are with Sub Command?  Thanks

Edit: It looks like from something I was just reading that 688 actually has a much better campaign too so thats a good reason to tinker with 688 for me at least.  Just cant change the resolution like to can in Sub Command but I can get around that some what.

Donīt know if this is your issue, but just in case...
http://steamcommunity.com/app/2900/discussions/0/365163686087460345/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:36:41 AM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 01:56:23 AM »
Ya no I get that I can scale it what I was talking about wishing that 688 has the higher res support that Sub Command has.
Doesnt make a huge difference but it does make a difference in the sharpness of the graphics which makes thing easier to read for sure.

Of course the main thing is the gameplay and if Sub Command is that much worse than 688 then its an easy choice.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that info.

Will continue to take a look at it.

I would for sure need to get acquainted with it again, especially when  it comes to sonar.
 Be a LONG time.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 03:08:03 PM »
Ya no I get that I can scale it what I was talking about wishing that 688 has the higher res support that Sub Command has.
Doesnt make a huge difference but it does make a difference in the sharpness of the graphics which makes thing easier to read for sure.

Of course the main thing is the gameplay and if Sub Command is that much worse than 688 then its an easy choice.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that info.

Will continue to take a look at it.

I would for sure need to get acquainted with it again, especially when  it comes to sonar.
 Be a LONG time.

No problem with sonar, thatīs the reason for a quick crash course proposal. In the mean time remember that your "towed array" dose mirror your ship, in other words the waterfall display shows one true side and another mirrored side. In order to figure out which is the true waterfall turn your ship (left or right) once you have a contact assigend and look at your waterfall display, the true contact will follow, the false will not.

Care,

Red
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »
Basicaly itīs ALL the same thing, stations have not been changed, well maybe the Seawolf class is a bit different then the Los Angeles class in DW but you can still follow the tutorials for 688i H/K (688i uses the Los Angeles class SSN)...

Enjoy  :)

Care,

Red
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:27:40 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
Thanks Red will spend some time with it this weekend.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Vietnam game.

Started by gameleaper

Replies: 2
    Views: 2222
    Last post April 29, 2018, 07:36:31 PM