Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Loft (toss) bombing in Tornado - a Youtube gameplay video by Frankie  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Finally mastered the art of loft bombing in Tornado.

Just me demonstrating a loft (toss) bombing attack in Digital Integration's Tornado. Basically there are two countdown timers. Once the first timer expires, the second timer will appear. When that happens, climb the plane and position the little cross in the centre of the HUD recticle by using the arrow keys. As the second timer is expiring, make sure you hold down the weapon commit key (the spacebar).

Once the second timer expires, and the little cross is right smack in the centre of the recticle, the bombs will automatically release (provided you are still holding down the commit key/spacebar) and will arc upwards and downwards towards the target. It sounds complicated but is actually very easy to execute in this simulation. For more details and news on Tornado, go to Dogs Of War Virtual Unit's Tornado forums at: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/board,50.0.html

Video created by Frankie kam
P.S., my Youtube video's description text gives you the full details and settings to allow you to record a video using OBS, complete with real-time gameplay keystrokes and mouse-clicks. Might be useful one day.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:02:07 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Loft (toss) bombing in Tornado - a Youtube gameplay video by Frankie
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »
Hiya All

In this companion video to the previous post above, I show you the secret to recording in-game keystrokes for free. Well, I use QiPress and OBS to achieve the real-time display of keystrokes and mouse clicks used during the entire recording of a game video.

Use QiPress & OBS to record your game keystrokes in realtime - Digital Integration's Tornado

Now anyone can record their keystrokes. This will, IMHO, enhance the Master Sifu-Disciple, Mentor Gamer-novice gamer bond. Hope you find it useful when making your own Youtuber-style videos.

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:33:48 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »
Hi Y'all

Harnessing the Power of Twitter. I have sent tweets to my legion of 185 follower fans on Twitter.

-and-

I wonder how many people my 2 tweets will reach. Likes. Retweets. You know that kinda thing. The tweets contain links to my two Youtube videos and to DOWVU's forums. So hopefully, my two Youtube videos above will garner more hits. At the same time, hopefully more traffic will be directed to the Dogs Of War VU discussion forums. I'll let you know how many Youtube hits I get from the Power of the Twitter-verse. If you have a Twitter account, you can click on either image above and re-Tweet. Be my guest. ;-)

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:37:03 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »
Thats pretty cool!

I have been practicing toss bombing in the Mig21 on DCS. On a good day I can hit a city block 7 times outta 10....  ::)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Loft and LGB bombing seem to be really good possibilities to avoid surface to air trouble, but i think the restrictions are for LGB quite good visibility to the ground and for Loft/ bomb flinging to have nearly no crosswind.

criticism about your mission route planning, Frankie:
Nice job so far for showing the tactical advantages of loft bombing, BUT
you did not check your route to and from your target, use the left in screen "key" button to display the map content AAA/SAM areas so to avoid them (whether simulated or not, entering hostile area should be done according to the gaming rules of combat, low, a bit faster than you did, please with appropriate wing sweep config), again you used that autothrottle and wasted precious fuel, it is that (once black) gold you need to return back to base in as high amounts as possible :-P

try avoiding mountain-flyover by setting waypoints around those, your autopilot-overchallenged-warning  red lamp flashed dangerously now in this video, too ^^.

But then again it's only a game, no engineers can get sucked into the engine same with birds, roads are straight mostly, except those sharp banks, you can't get dazzled because there's no dazzling sun, nor a moon, there are only firs, not asingle flower in this game.

Can I put flowers on our wishlist? Pleeeaaaase :-D

No flowers, no female pilots, a coincidence?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
Hi TomN

Thanks for your comments! Even though the purpose of the video was to demonstrate the loft bombing maneuver, it is good that you brought up the finer points of the mission that I missed. Well, I did notice that on my first try, when I edited the pre-planned path by deleting Waypoint D, my plane was detected by the harmless AAA and SAMs. On my second try where I didn't edit the waypoints, and my plane went in between the mountains, I noticed that the AAA and SAMs didn't detect me until I was almost right on top of the target. That's when I realised that the pre-planned "loft bombing" Simulator mission had the waypoints nicely planned.
I also never really understood how to use the Autothrottle until this video. I finally understand how to use the Autothrottle to get to each designated waypoint on time (not N seconds late or even N seconds too early). You caught that autopilot-overchallenge warning? Wow! I have a lot to learn from you. Thanks once again!
;-)

Regards
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »
Now, more specific:
the red lamp flashed at 4min 10 sec, have a look at the height indicator, must have been a difficult mountain surface to follow,
So now I found it in the manual on page 32 to use the fitting terms: E-Scope (the green forward terrain indicated) and B-Risk indicator. (that small lamp below, most of the time dark)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 01:08:14 AM »
That's why I love this sim!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Tornado Command and Staff College (TCSC)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 4170
    Last post July 15, 2021, 12:22:07 PM
    by Frankie
    network54's Tornado discussion forum nostalgia (1999-2000 posts) & still active!

Started by Frankie

Replies: 12
    Views: 6979
    Last post February 08, 2019, 06:07:41 AM
    by Speedwagon
    Amiga Tornado AGA - Experimental Speed-up Code

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 352
    Last post March 07, 2024, 11:10:13 AM
    by Frankie
    Best DOSBox options to run Tornado on post-Pentium desktops and laptops