Hey Budd - good to see you here! Those old DC days, huh? I tried DC Barbarossa again last week but for some reason I now run out of fuel by turn 2 and can't make any progress at all! They must have changed something...
My thoughts so far (bearing in mind the fact that I'm an old RGW and AGW player):
- The UI is a bit clicky, I agree. It feels as though I always need to make one click more than I'd expect. A couple of ideas for streamlining:
1. When I decide to attack a hex, maybe all available attacking units should be selected by default, with the attack type automatically set as 'Normal' (since that's presumably, um... normal). Then before committing, I can deselect units as needed and change the attack type if I wish. That would cut out about half my clicks for the phase.
2. Instead of clicking a hex during the Move phase and then selecting the unit, perhaps a single click should auto-select the top unit in the stack and a double-click should select the whole stack. Given the mouse-over feature (which is great) the only reason for clicking the hex is to select the units, so why click twice?
3. When I select a unit for move to exploit, all possible moves should be shown from the outset, rather than just those available in part one of the move. It would reduce the number of clicks and also prevent me from having to guess about what moves I might be able to make.
- Air units. I would like to be able to EITHER target a hex OR target an area; for interdiction for example. Targeting a hex could have an immediate effect in the Deploy phase, as now, while targeting an area would affect the CRT during the combat phase. Just a thought, given that close air support is generally called in after contact is made and not before.
- Naval units. As above; target a hex immediately or provide support operations along a section of coast during the combat phase.
- The map.
1. I really hope the mod described here gets made. If I understand it correctly, every BMP image will need to be redrawn individually. I might give this a try at some point if nobody else does, but right now I'm very busy with work. In any case, my standard of artwork isn't as good as the samples shown here...
2. I'd really love a shaded hex option to show which hexes are still enemy controlled, as in WitE. It's hard to judge what risks I'm taking at present, as shown in the image. How strong is my ZOC by the way? I've yet to find out.
- The AI.
1. I played the tutorials and the Poland 1939 scenario. The AI seems quite good and it certainly doesn't just flee to the far side of the map like some I could name!
2. I have seen a couple of examples of AI units retreating away from friendly lines and into the rear of attacking units, which is disconcerting. I wonder if the code can be adjusted so that AI units either retreat towards their supply source or higher HQ, or stand still/surrender when defeated?
Those are my main thoughts so far. Really like the game though and will certainly be playing it a lot, don't get me wrong!