Translations for our friends around the world.

New URL: www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Click image to go to main site  www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Author Topic: MODS  (Read 15393 times)

chemkid

MODS
« on: September 17, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »
hi ron! - hi everyone else!  :)

almost 1 year ago i was working on a mapmod (tbh, a proof of concept.../...and solely my idea!) for ron's ww2 europe game.
when things were taking off (i was happy with what's possible here) i contacted ron about 'the possibility' of a mapmod.
he thought it wise to stop working on anything map related because of customer complains... as i understood this,
customers of the game could have problems caused by my mapmod and ron had/has to fix it - right?!  :(

anyhow, here we are - one year later - and there's a mod / scenario folder online?!
yeah! ...but wait - only scenarios or WHAT ELSE?!  ???

please clarify - thanks in advance!!

here are some teaser images of my stuff:
(btw, a shout-out and big thanks to Rasputitsa for giving me feedback on my work so far!!!)

1st proof of concept image

last italy front test image - very WIP

the whole map is already outlined in vector - here's a WIP from italy

some UI work was also fun to do...

a fresh title

equipment chooser redone

ingame info screens redone

everything (even the toolbar) is very much work-in-progress but came to a stop because i'm worried this is all for the trashcan.
of course, it's my own problem and if ron's still worried about complains... don't worry - no bad blood from my side!

have a good day and regards,
robert
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:01:49 AM by chemkid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Franciscus

Re: MODS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
Hi Chemkid

I like your mapmod, looks different and elegant.  :)

Being a mod, and knowing that we are all more or less old-time players, I fail to see any problems in having a mapmod...We all very well know that by applying a mod we may get unexpected problems, so what ?

Thanks for your efforts, hope to be able to use your mod

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rasputitsa

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks Chemkid, the maps and screens look great, without denigrating an already brilliant game, this brings a clean fresh look, which will be a joy to use.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:52:43 AM by Rasputitsa »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »
hi ron! - hi everyone else!  :)

almost 1 year ago i was working on a mapmod (tbh, a proof of concept.../...and solely my idea!) for ron's ww2 europe game.
when things were taking off (i was happy with what's possible here) i contacted ron about 'the possibility' of a mapmod.
he thought it wise to stop working on anything map related because of customer complains... as i understood this,
customers of the game could have problems caused by my mapmod and ron had/has to fix it - right?!  :(

Hi Chemkid

As I understand it. The map in WWIIE has embedded data which is one of the reasons it scrolls slower. Any map mod would need to include the data.

anyhow, here we are - one year later - and there's a mod / scenario folder online?!
yeah! ...but wait - only scenarios or WHAT ELSE?!  ???

please clarify - thanks in advance!!

I created the "Mod" section here. It is a place holder. There are no mods at this point.

As for your map. I think it is great. I also use your map mod for COTD, which is excellent.

Ron will contribute to this in due course as he keeps one eye here and the other on his development work :)

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

chemkid

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »
[...]
As I understand it. The map in WWIIE has embedded data which is one of the reasons it scrolls slower. Any map mod would need to include the data.
[...]
sure - i heard/read this, too. but my mapmod (with or w/o gui elements) will 'only' be a visual overhaul of the map or as of right now, portions of the map (eg. the italian theatre) - i don't want to change the underlying data. it's just the looks that interest me. i'd like a serious looking map for a serious conflict - that's all... i guess.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Agent Smith

• ex-wargamer.com -schwerpunkt fanboy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:06:43 PM »
The map images are beautiful.
I want this mod!
The files are .bmp so unlikely to have any embedded data, it's all pixels.
Only issue wlll be ensuring game data relates graphically to new map cosmetics.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chemkid

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
The map images are beautiful.
I want this mod!
The files are .bmp so unlikely to have any embedded data, it's all pixels.
Only issue wlll be ensuring game data relates graphically to new map cosmetics.
it's still very far from finished... but i want this mod, too!!
sure, only images (except my modifications to the toolbar) and keeping the mod up-to-date shouldn't be a problem when it's finished. but without ron's OK this mod won't happen - at least not from me... i want to respect his wife's work on the original map and it's his IP after all. let's wait for ron's comment on this.

regards,
robert
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rasputitsa

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
If a map mod where created it would give the opportunity to use either that, or the classic map, either way the game would benefit from a wider choice, which can only be good to help promote a great game.  8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:38 PM »
@Chemkid,

Nice work!  I like them also.  The only concern is whether they cause code changes.  For the low level screen, the map segment is 789 x 511 pixels.  The game has code that "stitches" them together on a display.  Do not want to re-code that.  The game draws the hex borders.  There is a large array with about 50 pieces of information for each hex, so the visual representation for each hex has to stay the same. 

The filename is also something the game has to have, or else code changes.  Can you send me a few files at schwerpt@gmail.com for me to play with?  I could make it a player choice with just a little code change.

It might be time to pursue this.  My wife, who did these graphics, is off on other projects (she is now focused on writing) and not available for graphics work.

There is also a desire of having graphics for winter on my list.  I miss the snow graphics on RGW, and you may be able to deliver that easier based on what I am seeing.

Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chemkid

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:42:25 AM »
ron, thanks for your kind words. low level test tiles are in the mail!

robert
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline bigus

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:08:53 AM »
Excellent!
looking forward to seeing this mod.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline governato

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 11:17:44 PM »
I really love chemkid mods. I am excited to see him work on this game. It will be a great addition that will make the game more immersive.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chemkid

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »
hello again,

ron had a look at my files and replied very positive to the idea of a map mod. good news, i think.  :)
i really hope he's going to post his thoughts on this, too.

anyhow, since this whole idea is still pretty bare bones and i'm into getting my files sorted to start working on this i have a question to get the ball rolling...

i want this to be a community effort as much as possible - not because i'm lazy (i am...) but because this map is M A S S I V E!!!
so, you gotta tell me what you like to have - for my part, i'm going for something smooth, minimal, easy to plan and work on but still immersive and 'good'(not better, just different 'good'!) looking.
(ok, the whole thing should work with everything else, too - game wise.)

right now i'm pondering over the idea to bring real relief data into the map - a little subdued but still more versatile than the old mountains pattern....
on the other hand, that might be overkill? something more simple? ...or, i'm still trying to 'paint' the ridges and mountains by hand... ???
please, if you have some favorite maps (ww2 planning maps, ect...) feel free to give a link - also, the color scheme is very far from final.
(yes, youtube video with tutorials on how-to-paint-mountains for ww2 games are welcome!)

my plan is to re-create the whole map in illustrator(vector art) and then transfer the stuff to photoshop and apply fills, strokes, lineart and effects.
layering everything and make it 'easy' to edit if something changes while ron is still tweaking his game...

here's another question:
what part of the map would you like to testrun first?
i started doing 'the italian campaign' because i already did something similar for frank hunters 'piercing fortress europe' -
Rasputitsa thought it best to start with northern europe/britain with normandy bocage (d-day/operation sea lion anyone?)...

there's still time to change my starting position.  ;)

cheers everyone!
chem!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rasputitsa

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
I think the example you gave at the beginning of thread is the way to go, as the map should be an aid and not overpower the strategy, too much detail will obscure the prime function of unit counters, terrain types and transport links.  This is a case where less is more, quickly being able to see the essentials of the map features.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Franciscus

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 12:13:47 AM »
I think the example you gave at the beginning of thread is the way to go, as the map should be an aid and not overpower the strategy, too much detail will obscure the prime function of unit counters, terrain types and transport links.  This is a case where less is more, quickly being able to see the essentials of the map features.

Agreed, and the section of the map you chose (Italy+north africa)  will give a good idea of almost any kind of terrain.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: