Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: TX Talk  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Longknife

TX Talk
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »
Lets talk transmitters!

I thought a new thread would be good to make the forum more search friendly.

I got into my RC stuff a few evenings ago & I have an old (new in 2000) Futaba 7ch PCM heli radio with 10 model memory. It is programmable but the interface is about as user friendly as DOS. As I was tinkering with it I realized I don't have the foggiest recollection of how to program it. The manual is still in the hard case but given how much electronics have progressed in the last 15yrs I am sure there are much better options on the market that probably cost allot less than I paid for this.

So for a semi experienced self taught helo pilot what would be a good transmitter to consider?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: TX Talk
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
I can update this post later when I have more time.

So quickly. Things have changed quite a lot. 2 obvious things are:

1. Flybarless controllers (FBL)
2. 2.4GHZ Radio equipment.

The FBL controllers do most if not all of the mixing within their unit. Leaving the TX to do basic functions. You no longer need a "fancy" tx for rc helis with lots of mixing etc. The FBL controllers can be programmed via tx, PC or the unit itself (buttons on-board). This depends on the individual unit.

2.4GHZ Radios
Gone are the days of needing a tx & rx crystal. Also depending on the TX/manufacturer you can get a type of "model match". This is basically where the TX recognises the specific rx. No more turning on the tx and rx and noticing to late that you have the wrong model selected in the TX.

Some new players to the scene
•   Spektrum
•   Tranis
•   Orange
•   Jeti
To name a few.

Also electric is now viable for helos.

The hobby of helo flying has become more accessible with the advancement of technology and lower prices.

So yes a lot has changed.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »
Glad you brought this subject up!  I was about to ask Asid the same question  :)

Iam new to this too, and at first had no idea what was what or where to find simple info so I spent alot of time reading and surfing the net on my own.  There is one thing that you sort of have to decide with Tx and that is which protocol you are going to use, unless you don´t mind having (spending money) more then one Tx.

It´s a bit of a commercial fight in some sence, and a matter of taste (preference) too.

The thing is that if you go for RTF (ready to fly) for example then you are tied to that protocol in some way.  If you go with ARTF (almost ready to fly) then you can go for your choice of Tx/Rx.  There is one protocol from JR Propo called DMSS if I recall which uses dual spectrum spread which will bind regardles of the Rx.

You also have Open source like Deviation.

Then theres the issue like warrantys. Big named brands will back you up, other brands may leave you in the cold.  One of the reason why I went for Futaba.

Asid knows alot and Iam sure he will elaborate more, and I will also learn from him too  :)

RCGroups is a wealthy source of information if you want to check them it out.

Here are a couple of list to guide you with which company´s bind to what...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nBHzT3VWF6ShAhOqRB5y0Bcc7aXFuRFFlQkHn1RIM84/edit#gid=0

http://www.deviationtx.com/wiki/supported_protocols

I really like the honest approach form this man in his reviews. He not only reviews but also gets into the guts of things...

He goes as far as running the Tx through a spectrum analyzer to show how good or not the protocol is working.

Care,

Red

Here are a couple
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:09:24 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »
This might help Longnife...

There´s more on the left hand YT side menu.

Care,

Red
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »
Thanks Red!