Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Acrobatic Flight  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
Acrobatic Flight
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »
Howdy everyone!

Since I have been at this for the past two years,  I thought maybe some of you would like to give it a try.  Once you try it, you might get hooked to it  ;)

Iam willing to show the ropes to anyone willing to try, but I must advise that this modality is based on ALOT of training (hours) both off-line and online.  Online as a team.  A team can be a 3 ship formation, or 7 ship formation.  It can be more the 7 ships but thats for more experts.  Bear in mind that the further your position is from the leader the harder it is to maintain formation! See "Red Arrows" acrobatic team.  All this is done in DCS.

So who knows, maybe we can form the DOW acrobatic team and join VAT in there shows.

I donīt have much footage as it was supposed to be "top secret"  :D but hereīs a taste...

Planes that I recomend for this...

- F-86
- C101
- L-39 (I donīt have this one but would buy it if I have to)
- Su25T (disadvantage is the cabin view full of Iron, but can be done and have done it)

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Red
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

Re: Acrobatic Flight
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
This would be fun & would be happy to give it a try. I have done this sort of thing in the past & your internet connection is king. Latency is a killer!

I dont have the C101 but have been looking for an excuse to buy it.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »
Formation/acrobatic flight in any flightsim is very difficult to get right. There are Vu's out there dedicated to this aspect of the hobby. They put in many hours of practice.

Requires dedication and skill.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »
Yeap, I agree with both, but in a way itīs a game changer.  Not saying to go full throttle on it as for what you say Asid it demands alot of time, but itīs fun to give it a go once in a while.  Like I said, a change to have fun.

Yes there are VUīs that are dedicated to this, tell me about it  ;D  The problem with most of them is the "elite" atitude behind them, like there liveīs depend on it.  I personaly am burnt with these atitudes.  You lose the fun in it and even supposed friends with it.  Itīs like a football team, either your on top or you get kicked out.  I prefer frendship over anything like this, but thatīs just me.

Regarding latency, there are solutions like lowering graphics (HDR, Bloom, Water) Have done flights with up to 12 ships and no problem, but yes you can drop out of a MP flight easy sometimes, but hey thatīs how it goes in most sim MP games.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:00:10 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 06:46:59 PM »
Yes there are VUīs that are dedicated to this, tell me about it  ;D  The problem with most of them is the "elite" atitude behind them, like there liveīs depend on it.  I personaly am burnt with these atitudes.  You lose the fun in it and even supposed friends with it.  Itīs like a football team, either your on top or you get kicked out.  I prefer frendship over anything like this, but thatīs just me.

This is why we have our group. Enjoyment,friendship and fun is our priority. :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »
I'm in if you'd like to practice formation flying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
Would mig 21 Be any good for this?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

Hmmm, donīt own the fishbed but any ship can be good for acrobatics.  Maybe the F-15 is the only one thatīs itīs not so good beacuse of itīs fly-by-wire.  Since it auto-corrects itīs flight dynamics itīs a bit difficult to do, but Itīs been done and have done it but itīs not the appropiate ship for this as a begginer in my opinion.

If you donīt have any of the above ships, the Su25T which comes with DCS is good enough.  When I started in my old VU, we all started with the Su25T so no one would have to buy a new plane if they didnīt like it.  The only issue with the Su25T is itīs cabin view, you have very heavy cross-beams inside the cabin that osbtruct your general view.

The only thing with flying new ships in acrobatics is establishing reference points so you know youīr in position.  Each position has itīs reference point to the leader.

If you observe my video above you will notice that Iam using a reference point.  We called it "light to helmet", you can notice that the view from my cabin is constantly trying to have the wing tip light over the helmet of the leader. You have a small area to correct your flight (you can tell by some small corrections in input) but with this reference I know Iam in position in respect to my leader.

So every plane has itīs reference points and every position has a reference to his leader and the ships around him.  The main reference is always your leader, thatīs why he is the leader  :)

Very Important, make sure you have the air-brake mapped to youīr HOTAS, as you will be using it alot as a begginer!

I wil be on TS this afternoon about 16:00ish for anything you want to do or talk about.

On this video Iam teaching my girlfriend how to fly. Itīs here first ever flight  8) But you can see what I mean regarding the Su25T cabin view...

Lucky enough Iam using TrackIR  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:17:20 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »

I think the Mig21 would work but be less than ideal for acrobatics. The delta wing is inherently unstable. Formation flying sure it would be fine. Its stable enough at speed but at high AoA it gets a little wonky.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 05:46:08 PM »

How about Hawk?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »
I can buy an aircraft if needed. I've been thinking about L-39. I'm not convinced about Hawk. I've heard that its flight model is good but I think it's still not a full precision flight model. I would like to buy it when it's fully ready.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

DCS MIG-21 FLIGHT TRAILER

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 6600
    Last post February 26, 2015, 07:33:25 PM
    by Asid
    A short flight in the DCS SA342 Gazelle

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 4053
    Last post July 09, 2016, 10:53:50 AM
    by Asid
    20 years with Eagle Dynamics flight simulators.

Started by Asid

Replies: 1
    Views: 5341
    Last post November 14, 2015, 04:59:10 AM
    by Frankie
    Test Flight - DCS: F-5 Tiger II

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 3764
    Last post August 25, 2016, 02:58:42 AM
    by Longknife
    D.O.W. Flight School