Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: Blue, Gray, and Bocage Scenario-American Perspective  (Read 25883 times)

Offline Christian Knudsen

Re: Blue, Gray, and Bocage Scenario-American Perspective
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »
I can play a game, with a few provisos:

1.  I am terrible at CM - probably better suited to defender.
2.  I don't really have anyone to play against
3.  Might be interesting getting it done if you wants it done fast!

Other than that, I'm in!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
CK, if another CM player steps forward then you can square off with them, or you could solicit someone from a different forum. OR you could do an ASL scenario like last time. What sounds best to you? Either way, great to have you!

You also bring up a point I want to highlight. You mention that you are not that good at CM. This is something that people need to figure in to how or if they want to resolve the battles tactically. It is also something to consider regarding casualty "conversion" when inputting results in TO. In other words, players may not want to regulate casualties a bit when inputting results to TO. I would also like to point out that this is strictly player preference! So it is completely up to you (the player) and how you want to play.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
So let's do it this way, you and Mad Mike pair up and then if we have anyone else we can worry about that later!

Sounds good.

You two quickly discuss which side you prefer and which battle you prefer. If you don't care which battle, let me know and I will assign one to you.  :)

I am not fussy about sides - I play lots as either side and am comfortable defending or on the attack.  So @Mad Mike you can pick otherwise put me on the attack.  As for a battle @choppinlt whichever you think will be more fun - I will AAR on the BFC forum - perhaps one with armour.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
There is only one battle with armor, so that narrows it down!  :D I had a feeling this engagement would be the one of most interest. It happens to be the schwerpunkt at the moment. In the mean time, I hope we hear from Mad Mike soon so we can get going!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mad Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »
@choppinlt

I'm ready to go. I guess we're talking about the attack of the 2/116?

If you could provide us with the OOB for both sides involved in this battle, @A Canadian Cat and myself could then setup the battle in CM:BN.

Should we keep the DARs in one place, i.e. the BFC forum as Ian suggested? I'm happy to do it any place you prefer.
I also suggest to create a new thread here to discuss further specifics of this battle (stop cluttering this thread).

@A Canadian Cat

I'm fine with playing the Germans on defense. Kind of makes sense  ;)
I've created a dropbox for us, you should have an invite.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »
GREAT! Yes MM, we are talking about the 2/116 engagement. I will try to get the OOB ASAP.

The final decision is yours and Cats to make, but I think keeping the DAR on the BFC forum is the highest priority. Any other forum is great, but BFC would be the highest IMHO. HOWEVER, it would be great if you had a thread here in this forum with the direct link to the BFC thread. Then all you need to do is pop in this forum and say "check out the latest", and you are done here regarding updates. Another forum you could do this with is the Few Good Men. Let me know what you decide to do.

Agreed, I will establish a battle specific thread like I did for CK's ASL battle. This is where I will give all pertinent details to the both of you, and this may be the place for you action report updates.

ALL RIGHT LET'S DO THIS!!  8) Oh, and thank you all for your participation. I know there are lots of people silently interested, but stepping forward to help out is much appreciated...and inspires me to work harder on making this a reality.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:19 PM »
Current Time 2000 Hours  Updated on 19 Dec

Turn 7 Staff Report: at 1800 all forces move out and engage the enemy again. At 1808 hours 2/116 makes contact with 227 FAB and B/92 in support of the attack. This battle is currently being played out on the tactical battlefield using CMBN. TO combat resolution has the Americans advancing 400m in 2 hours and 14 minutes with 47 total casualties and the loss of 6 tanks. Let’s see what the CM results give us!

3/116 makes contact at 1810 and is supported by 224 FAB and 116th Cannon Co. This engagement just ended at 1959, and we are awaiting more information. We know that reported progress was very slow and met with heavy resistance.

3/115 makes contact at 1810 and is supported by 110 FAB and A/92. This engagement just ended, and we are awaiting more information. We know that reported progress was very slow and met with heavy resistance.

1/115 makes contact at 1811 and is supported by 111 FAB and 115 Cannon Co. This engagement is still underway, however it appears to be almost over. We know that reported progress has been very slow and met with heavy resistance.

967th Field Artillery Battalion (155’s) performed a counterbattery fire mission against suspected German 105’s. Results are under evaluation.

1/116 stands by in reserve and is awaiting further orders…

Troop dispositions as of 1811 hours

2000 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: wait for combat to wind down and make further assessments. The Germans appear to be holding pretty firm. 2/116 appears to be making greater progress than previous (according to the TO resolution system), the problem is that darkness is arriving soon. Once the official results are in for 2/116 then we may commit 1/116 and see if we can achieve a breakthrough during the night. Most likely our forces will hold firm to rest and recover for now.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:43:59 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »
Current Time 2200 Hours

Turn 8 Staff Report: 2/116 ceases their attack at 2022 after a 400m advance. They report 47 casualties and the loss of 5 tanks. Our forces report receiving indirect fire from 120mm mortars, 88’s and 105’s. 2/116 is expected to recover from its cohesion loss around 2230. Note: this battle is still currently being played out and these results may be adjusted accordingly when the battle is completed.

3/116 made contact at 1810 and ended at 1959. They suffered 39 casualties after advancing 200m. Our forces report receiving indirect fire from 120mm mortars and limited fire missions (likely from our counterbattery fire) from 105’s. 3/116 reports a full recovery from their cohesion loss.

3/115 made contact at 1810 and ended at 2000. They suffered 30 casualties after advancing 200m. Our forces report receiving indirect fire from German 105’s. Cohesion recovery for 3/115 appears imminent.

1/115 made contact at 1811 and ended their attack at 2003 after advancing 200m. They report approximately 31 casualties. Our forces report receiving indirect fire from 120mm mortars. Cohesion recovery should happen before 2230.

Approximately 90,000 lbs of artillery ordnance was expended during this round of combat.

This round of combat we suffered 147 casualties, and 5 tanks were knocked out. Totals for the day are  303 casualties and 12 tanks knocked out.

2200 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: right now we believe it is to our best advantage to rest our forces and allow them to re-group for more action in the morning. While ammunition levels are OK at the moment attacking further will only serve to cause greater fatigue, ammunition expenditure, and losses for what appears to be a limited gain. In our judgement, it appears that we are better served to re-new our attack at dawn. The engineer battalion will reform on the road between A/92 and 111th FAB. The 747th Tank Battalion will form up at Couvains. The remainder of our forces will remain in place, rest, and recover. There will be no offensive artillery fire missions to allow for ammo replenishment, and gun maintenance.

Game Note: I have little data on the German casualty rates in this area from July 11, however I do have reliable information on casualties sustained and artillery expenditures for the Americans. Historically the 29th lost around 500 men on this day. This scenario produced 303 casualties, but the Americans delayed their initial assault till noon. So if the Americans had started their assault at 0600 in this scenario (as what happened historically), you could interpolate the results to be close to 500 casualties. So that is a good sign that my game mechanics are producing reasonable results! If anyone has any data they want to share (from credible sources), please feel free to let me know.

Even though I don’t have any data regarding the Germans, 176 casualties feels a little light…but I can’t be sure at this point. One huge factor is that I allowed the Germans to start in prepared defensive positions. I see no reason at the moment to tweak anything, but I will definitely keep an eye on this. You are witnessing the first real play-through with all these different mechanics in action together, warts and all! While there is definite work needed, I am happy with how it is coming together. I hope you are getting a lot of value with seeing a scenario unfold and getting a real feel for how the game concept is supposed to work. It is my hope that these scenarios will lead to better understanding.

I havn’t taken the time to analyze artillery expenditure yet, but that will be interesting to see how that turns out!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:42:02 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
Current Time 2400 Hours

Turn 9 Staff Report: All infantry units are stationary, have recovered cohesion, and have dug-in for the night. Additionally all engineering and armor elements have withdrawn and reformed in their bivouac areas. Otherwise all is quiet as resupply efforts commence in full force.

Word from HHQ is that we are not being allocated any air support for tomorrow.

2400 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: Rest, recuperate, and reevaluate! The weather is supposed to be partly to mostly cloudy with no precipitation. So weather won’t be a factor for ground forces. Perhaps now would be a good time to commit the 175th, but the question is where and when… We will wait till 0200 before making the final decision.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:41:03 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 01:03:42 AM »
Current Time 0200 Hours

Turn 10 Staff Report: There has been no action to report regarding the enemy, and our forces have settled in for the night.

0200 Unit Dispositions and Proposed Fire Plan

Plan of Action: at 0300 we are going to commence with harrassing fires against all 6 frontline enemy units until 0500. We will wait till next turn to decide when to commence with area fire at that time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:39:27 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
Current Time 0400 Hours

Turn 11 Staff Report: There is no enemy activity to report. There is nothing to report except the artillery started firing harassment missions at 0300 as planned.

0400 Unit Dispositions (unchanged)

Plan of Action: at 0500 the intensity of artillery fire will increase with a bombardment lasting 60 minutes. Then at 0600 all units in the front line will commence with their attack. All attacking units will receive dedicated artillery support. Engineers and armor will be reattached to the 116th Regiment, and we will continue our main push on our left. One difference will be that 2/116 will combine with C/747 (they combined with A and B yesterday), and 3/116 will combine with D/747. A and B/747 will sit in reserve to repair and recover lost tanks. If needed they can be attached in a relatively fast manner. The 175th will remain in reserve (offboard), but it will remain available if needed.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:38:45 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 05:52:13 PM »
Current Time 0600 12Jul

Turn 12 Staff Report: There is no enemy activity to report. All harassment missions ended at 0500, and the intensity increased to a sustained bombardment (i.e.  Area Fire Missions) as planned. These missions are ending now, and we have no information regarding their effect. We did expend approximately 100 tons of ammunition during these bombardments.

All elements of the 121st Engineer Battalion plus Companies C and D of the 747th Tank Battalion have formed their battle groups with the 116th as planned. All units report being at their line of departure and ready to commence their attack.

1/115 has dedicated support from 115th Cannon Co
3/115 has dedicated support from 110 FAB, A/92, C/227 FAB
2/116 has dedicated support from 111 FAB, 116th Cannon Co, A/227 FAB
3/116 has dedicated support from 224 FAB, B/92, B/227 FAB
967 FAB has all three batteries on Counter Battery Fire Missions

0600 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: all preparations are complete, so now it is time to watch the results and react accordingly.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:37:11 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 05:26:45 PM »
Current Time 0800 12 Jul Updated

Turn 13 Staff Report: At 0600 all units crossed the line of departure and started advancing to engage the enemy. 3/115 was the first to make contact at 0609. 2/116 made contact at 0612, and 3/116 made contact at 0619. 1/115 made contact at 0621. It should be noted that the two middle battalions advanced further than anticipated before contact. The enemy appears to have redeployed some forces after dark without detection. This also means that of our artillery bombardments likely hit empty positions in those areas.

2/116 is reporting stiff resistance against enemy infantry with significant artillery support. The attack is still underway with losses being reported as heavy with moderate gains. It appears this attack will be halted within the next 30 minutes.

3/116 is reporting stiff resistance against enemy infantry with significant artillery support. The attack is still underway with losses being reported as heavy with moderate gains. Our current assessment is that the attack will halt within the hour.

1/115 is reporting stiff resistance against enemy infantry with notable artillery support. The attack is just ending with reported little to moderate gains and heavy losses.

3/115 is reporting stiff resistance against enemy infantry, and no enemy artillery support has been mentioned. The attack ended at approximately 0750 with reported little to moderate gains and heavy losses.

We are currently collecting and analyzing information to get a more accurate assessment of the situation.

0621 Unit Dispositions

0800 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: Let units finish up and recover while awaiting a clearer assessment.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:35:51 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
*sorry for the hiatus it was not expected. Apparently things can get unexpectedly busy some times!  :)

Current Time 1000 12 Jul

Turn 14 Staff Report: The 2 remaining engagements have ended, and more details are available regarding all recent engagements. Our artillery reports that no counterbattery missions were executed. Good concealment and the cloudy weather are contributing factors in limiting our efforts at the moment.

2/116 ceased their attack at 0804 and reported stiff resistance against enemy infantry with significant artillery support. They report an advance of 600m at the cost of 38 casualties and 3 medium tanks. 2/116 is currently recovering their cohesion and should be ready for action within the hour.

3/116 continued with their assault until 0833 and reported stiff resistance against enemy infantry with significant artillery support. They report an advance of 500m at the cost of 44 casualties 3 light tanks. 3/116 is currently recovering their cohesion and should be ready for action within the hour.

1/115 ended their engagement at 0759 and report stiff resistance with moderate artillery support. They reported an advance of 300m while sustaining 35 casualties. They should be ready for action any minute now.

3/115 ended their engagement at 0750 and reported no enemy artillery support. They report an advance of 300m while sustaining 31 casualties. They just reported that they are now fully ready for action.

1000 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: At 1100 all frontline units will cross their lines of departure and re-new the assault!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:32:31 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
Current Time 1200 12 Jul

Turn 15 Staff Report: All units were making preparations for the next round of assaults when at 1031 the Germans counterattacked in the area occupied by 1/115. They were initially caught off guard by the sudden appearance of what appears to be a small German battlegroup of armor and infantry. Word is that some Forward Observers were in the right place and paying attention. 105’s were landing on the enemy positions before the attack hardly got started. We are still waiting for more details. It appears the German attack was a local spoiling attack to throw us off our battle rhythm, and it worked because 1/115 won’t be ready to jump off any earlier than 1205.

3/115 jumped off at 1100 and made contact with the enemy at 1111. We have no further updates at this time.

3/116 jumped off as planned at 1100 and made contact with the enemy at approximately 1114. We have no further updates at this time.

2/116 jumped off as planned at 1100. They advanced approximately 200m before making contact with the enemy at approximately 1129. We have no further updates at this time.

1031 Unit Dispositions

1200 Unit Dispositions

Plan of Action: wait and see how the assaults turn out.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Battle of St. Andre de l'Epine

Started by choppinlt

Replies: 73
    Views: 36509
    Last post March 27, 2017, 02:52:32 PM