Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Hybrid electric drives are coming to tank technology as well!  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Hybrid electric drives are coming to tank technology as well!
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:16:01 PM »
Yesterday I talked with Mika about Rubber tracks and all kind of transmission things. Mostly there was that idea of why things are going towards direction where they are. It is starting to clear out why for example is seems that there is lot interest to electric transmission.

Like show here.

Firstly, as for example Rubber tracks are more silent and fuel efficient. It is same with hybrid electrical drive systems. Those are not only in APC technology but in casual work machines of real life as well. This has been hot discussion on forest machines for a long time.

Basically idea is something like this. There is normal engine thought usually even smaller. That will power generator that provides electric power from electric motors that alone are transmission. I mean from those motors power is directly going to brakes and to final gear or directly to tracks / wheels.

There is many advantages in this.
One is that while braking, or going downwards without power these motors actually download batteries.
More over, placing engine from where power to motor / batteries come is free, and engine can be smaller.
electric motors can be directly at the place where needed and can be individually adjusted! This is something that so far has not bee working well with hydraulic systems! Also there is very small power lose when done like this!

Problem so far with electric motors and systems has been motors itself as far as I know. But as in forestry those have been seen more and more frequently. last when I have seen machine running with electric motors it was quite small. But those sizes have been coming bigger. So. I assume this might have some troubles with strength at the first, but other than that this system is very good and reliable. Less moving parts, and should be easy to maintenance as well.

- - -

Not to forget the fact that with transmission controlled electronically things get more simple and easy. Less parts, more simplicity. And more over. There will come time when Computer will be driving tanks instead of driver. It is far more easy to make happen on this kind of transmission than in normal one where you would need servos and all kind of stuff and extra parts. in system like this, it is all about controlling electricity that computers already do. So systems will be more precise and remote use will come even more likely to happen than it is currently.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:21:50 PM by Lumituisku »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Hybrid electric drives are coming to tank technology as well!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
Trials for unmanned vehicles are about to start in a big way. This is the future in some situations but would you get onto a plane with no pilot?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Re: Hybrid electric drives are coming to tank technology as well!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Probably not into plane. :D   At least if I can't do anything by myself in case of trouble in the air.

But yeah. Some cars already have been tested to have automatic driving. So... I guess it will be future.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Tags:

(AGPT) training unit combat simulator Panzertruppe Leopard 2 battle tank A5/6

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 3665
    Last post July 21, 2015, 09:17:31 PM
    by Asid
    British tanks to be sent to Germany for storage so army can sell land in UK

Started by Asid

Views: 4475
    Last post June 03, 2015, 04:51:50 PM
    by Asid
    Artist Makes Challenger II Tank From 5,016 Egg Cartons For Charity!

Started by Lumituisku

Views: 2444
    Last post June 06, 2016, 08:07:38 PM
    by Lumituisku
    Tank Stuck In Mud

Started by Asid

Replies: 1
    Views: 2617
    Last post March 20, 2016, 11:14:27 PM
    by Lusik
    What Life Is Life For Us US Army Tankers