Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Introducing Wargame Design Studios  (Read 10121 times)

Offline Strela

Introducing Wargame Design Studios
« on: August 20, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »

Introducing Wargame Design Studios.

We would like to officially announce the formation of Wargame Design Studio (WDS).

WDS is composed of industry veterans with experience in building games for the grognard war gamer.

WDS will be initially focused on the John Tiller Panzer Battles game system and has the right to build and modify the game code as required. This is the first time that John has licenced his game code for external commercial use. Any resulting titles will be published by John Tiller Software. To drive change in the game code, Robert Osterlund (Berto) is joining WDS as lead programmer and architect. Berto has been working with the Campaign Series Legion to update the Campaign Series games published by Matrix Games. Berto will continue to work with both design studios.

The team at WDS have previously published Panzer Battles – Kursk the Southern Flank, Panzer Battles – Normandy, Panzer Campaigns – Kharkov ’43 and Panzer Campaigns – Moscow ’42.

We are working on a number of projects currently. The third Panzer Battles title is set in the Desert and the official campaign covered will be announced soon.

We are also working on a Demo that will be available for free. The initial scenarios to be released with the Demo will include actions from the Eastern & Western Fronts, Desert and Pacific theatres. We expect to make more content available for the Demo over time. We’re committed to bringing both new players and new designers into our hobby and the Demo will be a perfect way to promote that.

With access to the source code we will be enhancing and adding a range of new features in the game. We are currently testing a beta patch for both Panzer Battles Normandy and Kursk. This beta patch will be released soon for broader testing within the community and will include a number of enhancements;

Firstly, Panzer Battles – Kursk will be bought up to the same standard as Panzer Battles – Normandy v1.01.

In addition, we are adding completely new short-cut keys for nearly every in game function;

With the advent of high resolution monitors, we are providing double sized Classic and Standard (new) toolbars. All have tool tips including the applicable short-cut key. There are 70 icons now available in either a single or double row;

Below is an example of the new standard icons at the ‘small’ size. The 70 icons fit across a 1920-pixel screen width. Lesser screen resolutions will be supported;

We have also included double sized ‘classic’ icons;

Finally, there are a lot of additional informational filters – below is one example showing height elevations;

These are just a couple of examples of the changes that will be coming in the Beta release. There are a lot of data and scenario updates being worked on currently and once the new Beta has been reviewed we will release the next official patch with all the changes included.

We have quite a long list of enhancements to be considered including everything from victory points to supply, through artillery & artillery spotting. We also hope to enhance reporting and other player aids. All of these are yet to be committed to but with access to the code there is a lot we can do.

Finally, we have quite a number of other projects underway and look forward to sharing those at an appropriate time in the future.

Thanks,

The team at WDS

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

Re: Introducing Wargame Design Studios
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
This is awesome news!!
I am a HUGE fan of the Panzer Battles series and the Campaign Series before it.  I just really love that scale.
Picked up both the Kursk and Normandy games as soon as they came out and very very happy to hear the next game in the series will be Afrika!
One thing I am not clear on so maybe you can clarify, so is Tiller continuing the development of the Panzer Battles series as he has been doing and your games are going to be a whole separate series of games or are you guys taking over the Panzer Battles series and future titles in the series will be from you?

Again great news, please if you need any help testing or playing let me know :)

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
Hi Strella

Welcome to the Dogs of War.

WDS is great news...Finally a toolbar that I can see  8) .

I look forward to more of your posts.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Strela

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
This is awesome news!!
I am a HUGE fan of the Panzer Battles series and the Campaign Series before it.  I just really love that scale.
Picked up both the Kursk and Normandy games as soon as they came out and very very happy to hear the next game in the series will be Afrika!
One thing I am not clear on so maybe you can clarify, so is Tiller continuing the development of the Panzer Battles series as he has been doing and your games are going to be a whole separate series of games or are you guys taking over the Panzer Battles series and future titles in the series will be from you?

Again great news, please if you need any help testing or playing let me know :)

Hi Stardog,

We're taking over the Panzer Battles series. We have worked closely with John for years and as his military work has ramped up, he has had less time to build the games the way we want to. As mentioned we will be the game developers and John the game publisher. These will still be John Tiller games, a bit like Matrix is a publisher of a lot of different design houses.

John suggested that if we could find a programmer he would be happy to cede the code across and leave all future development with us. We were very fortunate to find Berto who has been working on Tiller's earlier Campaign Series. Though not the same there is a lot of similarities

You will find us doing a lot of stuff that has never been changed like the user interface as shown here. We also know we can do a lot to make the game more intuitive as well as more realistic. We have a great pipeline of ideas.

Finally, I actually have to calm the team down - we have so many things underway we are having to strictly priortise what is done next. We have had people offering a lot information and effort for free - most of the new Demo is being done by new designers to the game system. They have already done some amazing content and I expect that we will be releasing new scenarios for it on a regular basis. This may become a complete new game - for free. It will launch with probably 4 - 8 scenarios but we already have another 12+ to come in future "DLC'S".

Exciting times!

David

PS Please feel free to ask any questions - now that I'm registered here, I'll stop by regularly...
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »
Strela thank you for the quick reply and all the great information.

I am very excited about this.  The Campaign series has always been one of my favorite wargames since its initial release, yes i still love to read through my old West Front chunky manual :)
So this new series being the same scale is awesome for me.

So there is a new demo coming and there is a new titles in the series coming which is specific to North Afrika correct?  If that is the case you made my wargaming year :)

Like  I said any help I can offer don't hesitate to ask. Not a programmer but do a bit of graphics work here and there.

Welcome to the forums!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Strela

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »

So there is a new demo coming and there is a new titles in the series coming which is specific to North Afrika correct?  If that is the case you made my wargaming year :)

Like  I said any help I can offer don't hesitate to ask. Not a programmer but do a bit of graphics work here and there.

Welcome to the forums!

Yes correct the next full title will be centered on the Mediterranean. The Demo will also be standalone and will cover a range of actions and theatres.

Please note, nothing (other than the Beta patches for Kursk/Normandy) is close to release. We have a lot of work to do on both of the mentioned titles and don't want to be throwing release dates out right now.

You will be seeing some significant updates for Normandy once the next 'official' patch is ready to go. That will be after we complete the Beta evaluation of the new game exe's.

As far as help, graphics is always welcome. I have become self taught over the last couple of years in that area and it does take up a lot of time. All the colourised units and game covers are all now done by me...

David

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:25:25 PM by Strela »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:25:44 PM »
Hey great!
No worries I wasnt looking for release dates. Take your time and do things right.

I look forward to updates to the current games as I am still learning the system so in no hurry.

As for the graphic ya I am self taught to so I am limited in what I can do but enjoy doing it. Not trained in any way though :)

Thanks for all the great info today.  Appreciate you being here.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »
Hi Strela

Please make sure you give as much detail as possible...We love details  8)

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 07:06:25 PM »
We like cake too,  we like cake alot!

:P
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline bigus

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 01:36:11 AM »
Looks great!
Rob helped me out when I was making a few scenarios for AGEOD's American Civil War.
They are in good hands.
I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for the Tiller games.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:51:33 AM by bigus »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Strela

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 02:21:33 AM »
Hi All,

Just mentioning we now have a dedicated website at;

http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com

We're also posting regular blog updates which you can find under latest news.

We hope to systematically provide updates on our games and the design process for the communities information.

Any feedback appreciated,

David
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Stardog765

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 02:42:09 AM »
Very exciting!  And shots of the N. Afrika map!  Love it!

Your killing me!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Strela

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »
Hi All,

Just mentioning we now have a dedicated website at;

http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com

We're also posting regular blog updates which you can find under latest news.

We hope to systematically provide updates on our games and the design process for the communities information.

Any feedback appreciated,

David

Just a note to all, we have a blog attached to the website that has a number of entries explaining how we design a game. We plan to update on a (approximately) weekly basis.

Link to the website above and all the blog entries under latest news.

David
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Home of Wargamers Live Dec 2020

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 5501
    Last post December 04, 2020, 02:39:35 PM
    by Asid
    Field of Honor : FPS/Strategic Napoleonic wargame

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 301
    Last post March 05, 2024, 04:01:05 PM
    by Asid
    Slitherine’s Command: the wargame transforming operational simulation

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2325
    Last post December 03, 2018, 03:01:42 PM
    by Asid
    Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Commissar Martin

Replies: 6
    Views: 8216
    Last post May 19, 2016, 09:11:48 PM
    by Asid
    gameleaper's Apps and wargames for free.

Started by gameleaper

Replies: 1
    Views: 2943
    Last post October 24, 2016, 02:08:34 AM
    by gameleaper