Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Point Of Attack 2  (Read 31189 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Point Of Attack 2
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
Point Of Attack 2.5.09 (Beta B4Q) 15/10/17

Released by Dogs Of War Vu: here
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
I'm going to try these.

However, i would really like to known if my levels of crashes and errors are normal or unusual because it's unplayable, even for someone that tries hard like me PoA 2.5 is still totally borken, specially when it comes to Custom Scenarios. 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
I'm going to try these.

However, i would really like to known if my levels of crashes and errors are normal or unusual because it's unplayable, even for someone that tries hard like me PoA 2.5 is still totally borken, specially when it comes to Custom Scenarios.

Try a default mission first.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 06:54:08 PM »
I'm going to try these.

Try a default mission first.

Yeah, default scenarios Seems to run normally 80% of the times, indeed. But the main problems persists with scenarios created from scratch. It seems that my missions on Ukraine and Syria will have to wait.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »

Point Of Attack 2 v2.5.11 12/05/18

Download POA_Update_2_5_11.exe (118MB): Click here

Tactical Studies Series: Point Of Attack 2
Program Change List

* = Corrections
+ = Additions/Improvements

=============================
12  May 18: POA v2.5.11
=============================

* Reinstated the block on giving fixed-wing (non-hoer capable) aircraft DF and IF orders. They are limited to using the CAS routines for attacks. 
* Corrected an access error when firing at units inside an IP after the IP has collapsed/rubbled from previous rounds.
* Mines now prevented from being placed in prohibited terrain or water (using Mine Data Table value for type). The AI will no longer place naval mines.
* Reinforcement units arriving on the map are now "brought up to date" with FOW from their HQ and subordinate units already on the map.   A note is shown when the TF is one of the arriving units since the display may change significantly.
* Fixed "Division by zero" error when starting a new game and checking "Use Default Weather Periods".
* Turn and Whole Game Replays were not being saved properly and could not be viewed in saved game files (from updated  compiler changes).
* Light (10-25) and Heavy (>25) Suppression Tabs reversed on Force SOP Settings Form. 
* Removed Auto-Recon orders from human controlled units (Auto-Recon assignment is limited to AI controlled units, but  human units can have these orders if the force control was switched).
* Fixed DF/IF status flags on Unit Info Form6*
* Info message now appears after clicking Turn Replay if there is no saved data to display.
* Fixed "Division by Zero" error when clicking "Show All Paths" checkbox on Movement Orders Form when no units int eh force have current orders
* Adjusted AI determinations for some unit "stay behind HQ" distance values. .When encountered were off by a factor of 100.
* Corrected recent issue where friendly units shown in a different loc than their actual position due to FOW had their movement path objective shifted by one hex if they had existing movement orders.
* Adjusted the end-of-turn routines to automatically ask to save the file in 2-player games (for PBeM).
* Corrected command delay typo/error - messenger time was almost always 1 second.
* Fixed EEFACE when giving movement orders to units that have future load/unload orders.
* Fixed EEFACE error in combat phase in some situations where AI was considering more than 3 area targets (recon by fire).
* Fixed error when changing nation flags after adding/deleting a new nation. 
* Corrected nation deletion routines - was changing subsequent nations to the one being deleted.
* Mouse Auto-Scroll Band Width and Delay Up-Down Arrows were reversed on Preferences Form.
* Fixed EEFACE error loading some TU stock scenarios.
* Fixed occasional "Invalid Pointer Error" on closing.
* Corrected issue where some composite sub-units would have their speed set to zero after being issued orders by the AI .
* Fixed situation  where Player 1's map would be shown when Player 2 was logging in or viewing combat.
* Map and Operational Graphics Layer visibility settings now saved with the OPS file.  Operational layers all turned ON by default.
* Corrected an EEFACE error in arty routines from a line of testing code inadvertently left in.
* Implemented a workaround to a  'Grid Index Out Of Range' error caused by an internal compiler issue when clicking on the map to place a unit after clicking a button on the Place Units On Map Form.
* Added a start of check of Composite Units to see if any sub-units have different entry/reinforcement turns.  Users can choose to split them up, or it is done automatically after turn 1.  The check is done after placement and also at the start of each turn.
* Corrected issue with AI not assigning targets because it deemed friendly/civ units too close,to the tgt or in the LOF.  Hew restrictions:
   - Must be within +/- 20 degrees of azimuth.
   - If on friendly side of target, must be more than 10 meters forward of firer.
   - If on far side of target, must be closer then ? the firing range.
* Adjusted turn sequence so a "clean blank" map is always shown when a player is logging-in.
* Removed the extraneous black arrow that sometimes appeared after  giving post-unload orders to passengers.
* Fixed issue where symbols sometimes disappeared after the game was saved as a scenario.
* Fixed intermittent EEFACE error when setting IF Targets in a loc with partly known enemy units when using the Main Menu | Command | Target with Indirect Fire option.
* "NO AI Orders" SOP setting was being ignored for recon/radiation-detection type units.
* 'Emplaced' flag wasn't being correctly updated when units became passengers.
* Blocked mouse-clicks during AI/CAI processing and setup phases.
* Corrected occasional AI placement of flank obstacles in the main field instead.
* Corrected random access/EEFACE error when objects (IP's, obstacles, bridges, etc.) subjected to DE attacks.
* Fixed error deleting existing hexside type obstacles (concertina, tank ditch, etc.)
* Fixed loading error "sysGeoMap.xxx not found" when loading in a saved game.
* No units, bridges, etc. shown after initial file loading for 2 player games (was sometimes showing enemy forces).
* Corrected FOW Location translation error when showing firing lines (either appeared incorrectly or not at all). 
* Fixed occasional combat phase lock-up due to new streamlined chain of command routines.
* "Exit auto-run on combat" checkbox now set correctly when the option is turned on.
* Fixed EEFACE error from clicking on blank portion of force selection window.
* Unit Size icons now changed correctly in force selection window when unit levels changed by hand.
* Adjusted AI flank assignment routines to move evenly allocate formations between flanks.
* Fixed issue with units not displaying correctly after being moved during placement.
* Flank units now show up correctly after being initially added to the force.
* Corrected the Place Units on Map Form unit grid - sometimes the selected row continued to move with the mouse pointer after clicking (which could also give an 'Out of Range' error).
* Fixed an issue with AI move path formulation through prohibited locs due to terrain FOW (an option which is currently disabled).
+ "Stay Behind HQ" Move SOP setting ignored if the HQ is loaded on the moving unit.
+ Added ability to set  the active player when loading a two-person scenario.
+ Added nation flag graphics for each side's Victory Location Objectives (both actual and potential).
+ Added notifications in the mouse-over text for Victory Location Objectives (both actual and false/potential) 
+ Added a timed pop-up notice when a unit is selected on the Force Tree but is a passenger;  in which case the display is changed to its carrier instead .  Can be set to "not show" in Preferences.
+ Added an information notice when giving movement orders and some units in the location are passengers (and not selectable).  Can be set to "not show" in Preferences.
+ Adjusted the Auto-Adjust Map sequence so that existing non-scenario games do not need to be saved in order to keep the terrain/elev changes.
+ Added Utility to copy existing/current TEC entries between Ground Conditions.
+ Added Leader picture to Data Editing Form.
+ The Zoom-In button stays depressed when clicked to indicate "zoom-in mode". Can be "un-clicked" to cancel the zoom.
+ Added "Report Form To Top" button on Main Form for when Combat Report Form "Stay On Top" option is not checked, and it disappears behind other forms.
+ Streamlined the Obstacles Form (used to Add/EditDelete).
+ "TF HQ Replaced" message now only shown on turns that it changes between any two units - not every turn where the original TFHQ is out of command.
+ Added ability to propagate value changes to other units from Detailed Unit Info Form (checkbox at bottom).
+ Added "n/a" and pop-up msg to IP Data Table Editor for 'Interior Hgt' field if  the IP has no overhead cover (can't be set).
+ Added "stacking/Loc space" check for IP placement (both human and AI).
+ Added discrete "Set Qty" step when manually adding new IP's to the map, along with more reasonable default value (instead of always 1).
+ Adjusted 'After-Unload Orders' form to allow for better control of composite unit considerations, and also show previously unloaded passengers.
+ Log-in form no longer closes automatically in 2-player games when password not set.
+ Impact sounds now played whether impact loc is shown or not (previously Reporting Level had to be Level 4+).
+ Added more info on Engineering Systems in the Detailed Weapon Info Form.
+ Edit Unit Data now cycles for Composite Units when called from Staff Officer and saves the Last Viewed Tab unit to unit.
+ Added ability to edit Default Map Display Vals in Preferences.  These values will be applied by default to all newly created games, or games in the Setup Phase or Turn 1 when loaded in.
+ Appropriate Display Layers turned on automatically when in an Object-type Mode (IP's, mines, obstacles, etc.).
+ "Exit Combat Phase on Action" option now operates in AI vs AI games by allowing human to give orders to both forces.
+ Added checkbox in Commo Staff Officer to show all steps up the chain of command.
+ Updated Wpn Sys Detail Info Mobility Tab value text to be clearer.
+ Updated Unit Info Data Form to be more explicit with text, colors, shading, hints and buttons to what values can be changed or not.
+ Added notes when units have AI-assigned Auto-Recon orders: S-3 Officer, Movement Form, Unit Info Form (Movement Tab) , Move Orders Description Form.
+ Corrected significant slow-down caused by latest Windows 10 update & also sped up most graphics processing.
+ Combat Reporting Form now does not automatically come back to the top after new action text is displayed.
+ Added additional info in combat report when a unit takers damage/loss when not specificalluy targeted (DF only).
+ Added and [OK] button to MOPP Form when adding/renaming MIOPP systems (was confusing as to how to proceed).

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »
Got the patch days before. I've asked Scott and Rich to post here but they've decided it was better to wait a little more.

Overall: I'm still testing, but it seems that it's slightly faster (don't get too excited, it's still slow as hell) and with less glitches and EEFFACE crashes. However, it's still unstable IMAO. The urban maps in the geomap editor doesn't work properly and there's occasional error when trying to play the pre-made scenarios (I think it's because they are using a newer version of the TSS library which is not available to us yet) not to mention EEFFACE error involving units detachements.

Resuming, the playabiliity has increased 25% since the last beta patch (that's my perception).

I've talked to Scott about the evolution of PoA and TU, and he told me that porting the engine to multi-core capacity would be a game's code total revamp and would, therefore, be almost out of question. With that in mind, we can forget multi-thread, which means that the game won't change much when it comes to processing speed since the game engine would use only one core of you CPU in a game that is all about processing power.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:22:06 AM by Selva »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
I've asked Scott and Rich to post here but they've decided it was better to wait a little more.

I find the dev not posting anywhere unacceptable  :Wag finger
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Amaroq

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »
I've talked to Scott about the evolution of PoA and TU, and he told me that porting the engine to multi-core capacity would be a game's code total revamp and would, therefore, be almost out of question.
And yet they continue to sell it for 60 bucks... They should get together with somebody that has a working engine but lacks the unit database, like Historical Software / Battle Command.  POA2 never was 'playable' and I'm amazed people have put up with this state of affairs for so long. I literally bought it because I thought I was missing something, but I don't think I was... Hardly any scenarios included, an prohibitively convoluted process to make new scenarios and a game that is so slow it will make CHKDSK give you an adrenaline rush. As much as I appreciate the work they continue to put into fixing bugs, I feel they're wasting their efforts if it's not part of a greater plan to evolve the game into something that actually works as a product.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
Many people might struggle to find a game in there. It is a great tool and that is what it was originally comissioned for. Running a batch process to ascertain results is what it was made for.

I have never understood the resistance from the developer and others close to him to interact/infor/engage with the community  :confused

This is definitely NOT for most people  :Wag finger
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Amaroq

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Many people might struggle to find a game in there. It is a great tool and that is what it was originally comissioned for. Running a batch process to ascertain results is what it was made for.
Do you have an example? My main design gripe is that if for example the terrain and LOS are merely such a crude approximations and for example unit placement and cover is pretty much determined by RNG and probability percentages, what's the point of calculating humidity, air density and what not? You're crudely approximating several of the central factors but massively over-engineering others that are practically irrelevant. So my gut feeling is it's not even very good at many of these plausibility calculations because it has it the wrong way around: The well trained soldier should be the constant and humidity etc. should be (at best a minor) random factor. At least that's how I read it.

I bought POA2 hoping for exactly what you describe, sandboxing some interesting encounters, much like I do with CMANO. But I've been unable to achieve that. One reason is the speed of the simulation (or lack thereof) that makes it practically unobservable, but the other is that I just don't see any remarkable results. The game does 'stuff' and outputs 'results' but they don't seem to make much sense as in "I see why it's worth running all these calculations rather than just taking a scientifically established hit percentage."
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline elegantuni236091

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
To make pre-made scenarios work with the latest patch.  Before you install the latest patch.  Copy the maps folder to a different location on your harddrive.  Something like c:\maps then install the patch and copy the maps folder back to the original place.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
I have to agree with Amaroq. But i think that the game engine is very poorly optimized. PoA and Tu have are unique games, but they are totally unreliable, or playable. In my struggle to try to play the game, i was working on a Syrian scenario in the editor. I had some basic problems concerning layers,. I've sent a support ticket and they, basically, archived my request answering that they were not having the same issue.

Bottom Line: Great idea, very bad execution. PoA and Tu are a broken engine for a considerable amount of cash. Not recommended at all.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Tags:

Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg - Take Your Infantry to the Attack Day - Remarks

Started by Asid

Replies: 2
    Views: 4400
    Last post August 25, 2016, 06:40:37 PM
    by Lusik
    Attack at Dawn: Stalingrad

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 488
    Last post April 15, 2023, 11:03:12 PM
    by Asid
    WW2 Base Attack Dice Game like YatZee