Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: More Crosswind Landing Videos by Tom N  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
More Crosswind Landing Videos by Tom N
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »
SET OF TRAINING VIDEOS THAT SHOW THE PITFALLS OF AUTOPILOT LANDINGS IN A CROSSWIND VERSUS A MANUAL LANDING UNDER SAME CROSSWIND CONDITIONS

Never land with autopilot 1 of 5 CRITICAL APPROACH Autopilot 25kts Crosswind Landing with 120 kts

Never land with autopilot 2 of 5 CRITICAL SPEED Autopilot 25kts Crosswind Landing with 180 kts

Never land with autopilot 3 of 5 manual perfect 25kts Crosswind Landing with 155 kts

Never land with autopilot 4 of 5 manual perfect 25kts Crosswind approach with 145 kts

Never land with autopilot 5 of 5 manual perfect 25kts Crosswind Landing without approach

Enjoy!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
Re: More Crosswind Landing Videos by Tom N
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:36:31 PM »
The intention of recording these videos was to show some flaws of the autopilot, as mentioned before in another thread, I HATE the CRAB-Approach, and in the first video the autopilot admitted its flaws well enough !
The plane got pushed way too much off the landing corridor to the left side, nearly crashing into this mast-like structure. Using rudder might seem to some as a good solution but this changes the vertical speed as well as the longitudinal axis trim / lateral trim.

In the second video you can see a similar difficult landing, this time the heading is just fine, but the touch down speed is so high, that the vehicle shakes a bit while slowing down.

The 3rd video is done as it should be made, being the middle of both ways, coming in a little bit fast and then slowing down a little bit so to save/ protect the wheels/ landing gear.

But then to show that an approach with 140kts or around can be made more freely and more smoothly without autopilot (compared to video one) video 4 was created, starting the approach to the right side of the landing corridor, so towards the wind, knowing that the wind will take the aircraft towards the runway with a good heading).

Video 5 then came to my mind just to show that absolutely no landing corridpr is needed at all.
(making the hunt for those cross matchings of the airfield-Aircraft ILS obsolete).. important only things are speed, sink rate (that's why i prefer a low level approach) and the heading of both aircraft and runway, as shown with the handling in combination with the MFD-Map functions !

Thus again Compass and Map are the most important items everywhere.

With this said let me criticise the Air France Flight 296 A320 Crash
in the way that whoever put trees in the landing corridor should be made at least a bit responsible, too. An Airfield should be clear, open space (hence --> FIELD) expecially in the landing corridors !
just to remember to be careful with autopilots: (Rights remaining with the video's owner)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 06:40:52 PM by Tom N »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Speedwagon

• Tornado
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 08:53:57 PM »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for making these videos, I have enjoyed watching all of them. Very clever use of flap/slat and wing sweep configuration to control final approach speed, too! It's nice to see someone hand flying rather than relying on the autopilot all the time.

Are you using keyboard controls or a joystick? The Tornado manual discusses use of a second joystick to control throttle and rudder. I was never able to try that but always wondered how awesome Tornado would feel with that much manual control. Especially for crosswind landings like you are demonstrating. It's definitely on my wish list for Tornado 2.

Please keep the videos coming! I hope to get up-to-speed on OBS and make some myself. If there were only 25 hours in a day…

Aloha,
Speedwagon
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:14:03 PM by Speedwagon »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
HOW TO RECORD DOSBOX IN FULL-SCREEN USING OBS 16-BIT

Learning Outcomes
At the end of this short tutorial, you will be able to use OBS Studio (32-bit/16-bit) to record a DOSBox session that is running in full-screen mode.

The trick is to Add a "Game Capture" object to the Sources section. Immediately double-click on the "Game Capture" object to edit its settings. Its "Properties" window will appear. Like so (see first screenshot below)...then in the "Properties for 'Game Capture' Window", select the DOSBox item from the drop-down list. The click the "OK" button to save your settings.

-AND-

Don't forget to click the "Start Recording" button before you fire up Tornado! Click your DOSBox window and then hit Control-Enter to send DOSBox into full-screen mode. Play tornado as normal. OBS will happily record your gameplay in the background.

After your Tornado mission, click the "Stop Recording" button. You may have to hit the "Windows" button so that you can click the OBS window to access the OBS buttons. To view your recording, you have to hit "File | Show Recordings". You will see your FLV file there.

-AND-

Youtube will accept an FLV file. To do editing, however, you may have to convert your FLV video file into AVI or MP4 first.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:38:28 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Speedwagon

• Tornado
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:48:35 AM »
Indeed it does, thank you sir!

Speedwagon
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
Hi Speedwagon and hi Frankie,

yes 25 or 26 hours a day would be fine!
To answer the keyboard or joystick question --> I use keyboard only, but actually the autotrim button (rolling left or right and then being able to steer left or right on the same level) should be real as a HOTAS switch on the real airplane joystick.

Frankie, as i read your entry and then compared with the OBS-Site, did you really mean 16-bit ? Or 64 bit ?

Kind regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »
Hi Tom N
I've been thinking too much about the 16-bit Tornado assembly language source code. Of course, what I meant was OBS 64-bit. Because I am using Windows 10 (64-bit version).  ;)
Cheers Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

DI Tornado takeoff and landing stunts

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 3508
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:17:02 AM
    by Frankie