Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Order of Battle  (Read 29623 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Order of Battle
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »
Order of Battle goes global

Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 by Alberto Casulini

Order of Battle fans, we have big news for you. The game previously known as Order of Battle: Pacific is being restructured into Order of Battle: World War II, a bigger project with a wider scope and the goal of featuring multiple fronts of World War II.

Order of Battle: Pacific is going to be split into three different products:
·         Order of Battle: World War II, featuring the bootcamp missions and the first mission of each DLC.
·         The Order of Battle: U.S. Pacific DLC, featuring the American Pacific campaign.
·         The Order of Battle: Rising Sun DLC, featuring the Japanese Pacific campaign.

Now hold on to your seats! Order of Battle WORLD WAR II will be available to everyone for free! It contains the bootcamp scenarios plus the first scenario of every DLC (including future ones), and they are completely free. You will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if you’d like to buy the DLCs.

Important: if you own Order of Battle: Pacific you’ll be given free keys for the two DLCs, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific, plus any other DLC you already own!

That’s not all: in order to unlock the fully-featured editor and every single faction in multiplayer only a single DLC purchase is needed!

Ok, here is an example of what you can expect from this system.

Below is the campaign screen that you’ll see if you’re a newcomer to the series and you have never purchased the base game. You have immediate access to the bootcamp campaign (at the top) and all of the other campaigns (which are DLCs) are grayed out but you can still click on them!

Read on: Click Here
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:54:59 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
Re: Order of Battle goes global (Free)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
Greetings all!

I just downloaded Order of Battle WII from Steam which as Asid stated it´s free.  After playing the "Bootcamp" tutorial I decided to buy the OoB Winter War campaign. I haven´t started it yet but Iam sure it will be alot of fun. You start off with the Finnland Army against Russia.

The game is similar to "Panzer Corps" but with added flavour, ships, airplanes and other goodies. It´s one of those wargames that are fast to learn and play, but also has you hooked on keeping on playing and playing till you finish the mission. To me these are great ingridients for a game and the balance in OoB show´s this pretty good.  The drawback for some is that it´s not to accurate historicaly, it´s not a 100% blueprint of what happend in real life.  Personaly I don´t mind this, actualy I like it because you have the chance to change the outcome.  I sometimes find it boring to fight a fight that you know you have no chance beacuse in real life that was how it ended.  A example of this was "Hearts of Iron III" or any of it´s saga.  You would play a country that in real life never enterd the war, thus you would not have enough resources or manpower to progress you´r country and put up some resistances against the enemy.  In a way it was alot of work and HD space´s for the dev´s and you for nothing. The idea is cool that you could pick any country but theré wasent much that you could do with it beacuse the game base was historical.  I have nothing against that, it´s just that it´s not my cup of tea always.

Another thing that I like about OoB and Batlle of the Bulge from Slithering is that unit´s  don´t spend a bunch of time firering at each other.  As much as I like Flashpoint Campaigns, I find that units take alot of hit´s on each other thus making game play very long between turns.  When you have a bunch of unit´s all over the map this can be a burden, making the campaign and/or mission last for ever!

Enough of my chatter LOL. The game play´s smoothly on W10, has nice graphics and I find it fun to play, and fun dose not mean easy Iam sure of that.  The only bad thing I have found for now is that multiplayer is not working quite well for now with the latetest patch. The MP connection just keep´s on looking for a server for ever so you have to make a hard reset in order to get out of the screen.  It´s a bummer beacuse I wanted to get you guys online with Oob and have some fun.  Iam sure they wont take long to fix this as the dev´s seem to be very active with new content and upcoming campaigns.

You can find the free Order of Battle base pack at Steam for download. Download is about 1GB.  I can not paste the link beacuse for some reason Microsoft Edge or the DOW site dose not do anything when I click the above Icon´s. My guess it´s more a Edge problem.  I would guess the link provided by Asid on the first post is the same link to the game.

Red reporting from the cold winter war land´s! "Soldier, get me a hot tea on the run"!

Care and hope some of you will try out OoB if you find you like this kind of gener.

--

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:30:54 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312450/

Thanks for the feedback. I think that this is a great way to introduce people to a game. You get the engine for free. You also get a scenario or 2. If you like it then you can buy add-ons.  Command Ops 2 by Panther games does the same...I suggest you try that http://www.panthergames.com/

Let us know what you think of OOB once you have had a few hours/victories/defeats under your belt.

Oh and I friend Jhay plays this quite a bit.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312450/

Thanks for the feedback. I think that this is a great way to introduce people to a game. You get the engine for free. You also get a scenario or 2. If you like it then you can buy add-ons.  Command Ops 2 by Panther games does the same...I suggest you try that http://www.panthergames.com/

Let us know what you think of OOB once you have had a few hours/victories/defeats under your belt.

Oh and I friend Jhay plays this quite a bit.

Regards

Thanks Asid.

Yes, I´ll let you all know how Iam doing or losing haha.

Let´s hope the MP issues get´s fixed and maybe Jhay will like to have a game or two, or anybody else.

Care,

Red
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline jhay

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:32:09 AM »
Glad to see that other people are still playing these quasi-board games.  I have really enjoyed OoB and have been playing through the new scenarios.  Thanks Asid, for helping to publicize these games.   
(And Asid, I have been lurking off the east coast of Scotland, and I notice that you have NOT come out....) 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:33:37 AM »
(And Asid, I have been lurking off the east coast of Scotland, and I notice that you have NOT come out....)

I am looking right now....Is that you?..hmm to dark to tell...Where are you my friend?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
Order of Battle: the new Specialization System

As you may know we are working on a major update for Order of Battle: World War II. This patch is accompanying the new exciting campaign pack: Blitzkrieg, finally introduces the Wehrmacht to Order of Battle! It also introduces a number of free features and today we’re going to talk of one of them.

The new campaign specialization system builds upon the old system, making it deeper and more fun, varied and interesting. The current system is simple: at the end of some scenarios you simply pick one between two choices, and you’ll continue with your campaign.

After the update this is going to change. You’ll gain a number of specialization points by completing a mission (5 every time you complete a mission successfully) and a varying number by completing a secondary objective.

Whilst in the campaign screen you’ll be able to spend your hard-earned points in a number of specializations – some will have prerequisites, such as having to unlock certain specializations, or having reached a certain date. These specializations allow you to customize your core army by obtaining special bonuses and unlocking new special abilities, and give even more flavor to certain units.

This allows far more freedom and variety than the previous system. We believe it will help with making the game more varied and offering more replayability.

Also, there are now more specializations than before: all the old campaigns have been adapted to the new system and they now have more specializations than before!

This new system is an exciting opportunity, and we believe it will nicely complement another big feature we have in store for the next update. But we’ll talk of that next week

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
Me like´s this  :)

Thank you Asid!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »
Initial thought´s. Not to be mistaken as a proper AAR.

Last night I playid my first mission of the Winter War campaign in a medium setting. I recomend you start off in a low setting at first.  Not that it´s to difficult to go about but I got beat on turn 19 out of 20  ;D

I had alot of fun and I like how it works! As in all games this type you have to think your moves real well.  I did make some mistakes beacuse there are things that I didn´t really know how they worked, I do now though  ;)

Great fun and a nice game! Happy to have it!

Care,

Red
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »
Last week we spoke of the specialization system coming with next patch, but today we’re going to talk of something different, something new.

Order of Battle: World War II will have a Import core army tool, allowing linked campaigns in which players can carry over their core armies. The idea is to link together campaigns which will form a larger mega campaign. At first it’ll be only Morning Sun linked with Rising Sun, but we plan to make use of this future as we release more campaigns (for instance, we’ll certainly link the upcoming Blitzkrieg with any future-and-yet-unannounced-but-certainly-coming campaign featuring the Wehrmacht).

How does it work? It’s quite simple. At any point during a campaign (although it’s best if you do it once the campaign has been completed) you’ll be able to select the button Export core from your campaign -> Core army screen. You can then save your Core army.

At that point, start the next campaign. You’ll be prompted with this screen, asking if you intend to import a Core army.

Click yes, and you’ll be able to select which one you’d like to import.

Select the one you want to use, and there you go! Now you’ll start with a set of units carried over from your previous campaign. They are not free, though! You still have to buy them like you’d buy a new unit, but they retain the name and 30% of the experience they had, as if they had been destroyed. That is, naturally, for balance purposes.

That would be all regarding the Import tool, but there’s something else we’d like to show you today. Players who own the Winter War DLC will have access to a unique division in Blitzkrieg, after they research the Waffen SS specialization: I’m talking of the SS Wiking division, a completely unique division unlike any other in the Wehrmacht.

Original post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4161917
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:50:09 PM »
Yeah! Thanks Asid!

Got the Winter War module so, SS Wiking division come to daddy  ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »
Blitzkrieg Coming soon...(10th November)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3jbf9VzROA&feature=youtu.be

Slitherine (Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg)
http://www.slitherine.com/products/645/details/Order.of.Battle:.Blitzkrieg

Order of Battle WWII Core engine (free):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312450/

Care,

Red

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 02:17:12 PM »

Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg - Interview with the developers!

Hello everyone! With the release of Order of Battle: Blitzkrieg drawing near (tomorrow!) we decided to ask a few questions to the developers from the Artistocrats.

We hope youi'll find it interesting.

With Blitzkrieg, Order of Battle visits the main European theatre for the first time. Germany in 1939-1941 was waging a type of warfare which was completely different from the one fought in the Pacific or in Finland during the Winter War. How is it represented in game? How is this campaign different strategy wise?

Blitzkrieg is the first purely offensive campaign of the game - at least as far as overal scenario objectives are concerned. And while armoured warfare played a smaller role in the Pacific theatre, the harsh terrain of Finland and the Sino-Japanese conflicts, the Germans practically invented it.

This is immediately visible by the large variety of different tank types and Ausführungen that are available in the 1.5 years of war covered by this campaign. Besides the Panzer I, II, III and IV series the Germans have access to Czech 38(t) tanks and even captured French equipment through the Beutepanzer specialization.

On a tactical level, many scenarios are designed entirely with armoured pincer attacks in mind. Players will find that using historical large scale encirclements - using Panzer units to spearhead the attacks - will provide the best way to assure victory. This is largely achieved by the simple-yet-effective supply system of the Order of Battle series, but is further emphasized by primary and secondary objectives. In particular during the invasion of the Soviet Union players will have a hard time grinding through the massive Soviet armies frontally. By instead pushing aggressively around the flanks of these forces and eventually closing the encirclement, huge amounts of units will be trapped and easily wiped out.

Blitzkrieg adds a multitude of new units (over 200!). Many vehicles – do you think that Blitzkrieg expands on the concept of combined arms and mechanized warfare in Order of Battle? How?

While the German Panzers take much of the glory, the only way to assure that their advance does not grind to a halt is by providing selective and effective artillery and air support. Stuka dive bombers and motorized artillery are essential to preserve the strength of the Panzer arm by breaking enemy strong points and AT positions.

Equally important is the follow up of infantry forces to mob up any remaining resistance and securing the supply lines of the armoured spearhead. The AI is particularly effective at cutting through the player's supply lines, so careless play will quickly cripple the potential firepower and mobility of an isolated Panzer division.

Blitzkrieg doesn’t add only Germany, but many other countries as well. Could you tell us something of their army rosters?

As Order of Battle grows and visits new theatres of war, many units and nations are being added. France and Poland now have a respectable and varied amount of unit types available while the British - already present since the Pacific campaigns - have received further additions to their arsenal.

Besides these, players will encounter many new units when facing the minor Allied nations of World War 2 such as Belgium, Norway, Greece and Yugoslavia.

What about the AI: has it been improved and adapted to the new type of Blitzkrieg warfare?

Besides various general fixes and optimizations of the AI code, specific attention went to retreat mechanics.

Besides strategic retreats in specific scenarios such as the evacuation of Dunkirk and the breakout attempts of encircled Soviet forces during Barbarossa, the AI will now retreat badly damaged units from the front lines. Rather then sticking around indecisively until the player delivers the final blow, these units will now retreat to the rear or attempt to leave the map entirely. This behaviour can even be consciously used by the player to meet the strict time-table of the German offensives: Destroying every single enemy unit is time consuming, and while secondary objective encourage the destruction of enough enemy forces, some can be "allowed" to escape to assure a quicker conclusion of the current battle.

What’s next in the future of Order of Battle? What can you tell us?

Blitzkrieg ends in 1941 with the Battle of Moscow. Needless to say we are not yet done with the Germans! A total of at least 4 more German-oriented campaigns is planned for 2017, including some rather unique content.

Equally important, the long announced - and requested - Skirmish Mode is now the focus of our attention. Without any other major theatre changes coming in the near future we hope to finally find the time to finish this exciting feature in the coming months.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
Order of Battle has just been updated to version 2.9.8!

This new update is fixes some bugs experienced by the community.

You can download the update - both for PC and Mac - from here: http://www.matrixgames.com/members/publicDL.asp?gid=516

Version 2.9.8 Patchnotes:

- Compatibility issue with older savegames solved
- German localisation issues fixed
- French text improvements (thanks to V72)
- Initialisation of some specializations fixed
- Scrambling specialization only affects fighters
- Turn report popup can display more than 5 specialisations through the addition of scroll buttons
- Abort airdrop if target hex is occupied and no alternatives are available
- When undeploying an aircraft carrier, air command points for any aircraft inside are correctly refunded
- L3 now tank instead of recon
- Scenario tweaks & fixes: Norway, Greece, Smolensk, Dunkirk
1v1 Dubno map fixes
- Editor: Tooltip displays the carried unit's name when hovering over a transport unit
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

ZULU DAWN! The Battle of Isandlwana

Started by Asid

Replies: 4
    Views: 4119
    Last post April 12, 2018, 11:47:09 PM
    by Asid
    1.02 patch for Panzer Battles Normandy - Released

Started by Strela

Replies: 1
    Views: 3865
    Last post November 12, 2016, 01:25:11 PM
    by Strela
    Steel Division: N44 - Light Tank Saves Some Troops But Not the Battle: By JC

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2732
    Last post August 16, 2017, 02:38:57 PM
    by Asid
    Naval Battles Simulator

Started by Asid

Replies: 25
    Views: 11397
    Last post August 08, 2021, 11:42:12 PM
    by Asid
    Battle Academy for FREE!