Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Sam Simulator  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Sam Simulator
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:02:45 PM »
Sam Simulator

(Free) SAM (Surface to Air Missile System) Simulator

"Realistic to the switch"

Official site:
https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Forum:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/339/1/Sam_Simulator.html

What is this simulator about?

This is rather a system simulator, not a game.

The main goal during development was to simulate what the operators of the SAM battalion could see, and hear during engagement.

The program is still under development, new versions are uploaded regularly.

How to shoot the SR-71 with the S-75M3 Volhov (no sound)

How to shoot the F-14B with the S-200VE Vega-E, during Operation Prairie Fire (no sound)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Re: Sam Simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »
 Interesting! Quite neat find from you Asid. ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
I just discovered this free simulator on the Net. Two years late, since Asid first highlighted it on DOW forums in 2015.

205Mb Documentation here.
2014 Review in dailykos.com by Major Kong here. Lots of screen images. I'd like to meet Major Kong one day. He's got a unique style of humour. My style of humour.

Interesting. Here's a two-minute summary from the review before you decide to descend into a rabbit hole of this hardcore simulation:

PC-based SAM simulation on the internet. It was developed by a veteran of the Hungarian military who operated many of these systems in the 1980s and 1990s. This is a hard-core procedural simulator, not an arcade game. You have to flip the right switches in the right order or nothing happens. Oh, and all the switches are labeled in cyrillic. Good luck.

You get a couple different versions of the SA-2 "Guideline", the SA-3 "Goa", SA-4 "Ganef", SA-5 "Gammon" and the dreaded ZSU-23 anti-aircraft system

SA-2 "Guideline"
You also get several historical scenarios. You can try to shoot down Gary Powers in his U-2 or defend Hanoi against the Yankee Air Pirates in their B-52s. Think you can take down an F-117 with an SA-3? It's been done and the game will teach you how to do it
Trying to acquire a target is a lot like tuning an old Philco TV set. You have to move your antennas to lock on to the target in azimuth, elevation and range. You have to switch back and forth between various screens because in real life it took several people to operate one of these
After all this work the actual missile launch is rather anticlimactic. There are no graphics of your missiles streaking skyward to blast the attacking Yankee hordes. You hear the rocket motor ignite and you see exactly what the SAM operators would see - not much. All you can do is watch the blip of your missile on the scope as it (hopefully) intersects with the target. If the target starts to rapidly slow down and lose altitude you probably hit it
In real life these guys must have had nerves of steel. The second you turn that radar on you've announced your presence to the world. You might as well have a big neon sign blinking "Here I am! Come shoot me!"
I think I like this game because the equipment is so wonderfully old school. It's an interesting look into how "the other half" operated. It's very high on realism but I would rate playability as moderate. Can't complain about the price though.
I certainly can appreciate the time and effort the game designer went through to recreate these systems for us. If you're tired of the same old flight simulators give the Sam Simulator a try. Good luck.

My own take on this simulator?

The 1950s to 1980s analog dials are pretty impressive looking. Almost hypnotic. I could stare at them forever. If I were a real SAM operator, I wouldn't last very long if the enemy Capitalist Pigs were to launch a Wild Weasel operation against my station. Did you ever give up learning cyrillic when playing SU-Flanker? Now's a good time to learn how to read cyrillic.

One thing I am impressed with SAM Simulatir's detailed and well-illustrated English documentation. The documentation download file is more than 200Mb because EACH SAM comes with its own documentation - and get this - it comes in multiple languages!

Sample of step-by-step tutorial from the "SA-5B_English.pdf" file. Click this. Click that. Interesting and very educational.

Read through one of the tutorials and you would wish that you had paid attention to your maths and physics teacher back in school or in college. Words like "azimuth", "radar", "doppler", "speed", "elevation" and "measured" keep peppering the pages. I was curious to see what a WORDLE WORD CLOUD of one of the PDF files would look like. Here, I've done it for you. Take a look below. The word "target" appears the MOST in the documentaion. The more frequent a word occurs, the larger it is. This is the 100-most-frequent words cloud from the "SA-5B_English.pdf" file.

Word Cloud done by me based on text from the "SA-5B_English.pdf" file.

Now you can decide if you will jump down the rabbit hole. Cheers Comrade!

From
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:24:08 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
The dev knows his stuff and is very passionate about it. This is very niche  :book
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Beef

• HAVOC
  • Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
I gave the Sam Sim a try a couple of times and couldn't quite figure it out. Must've been a "East vs. West" design logic in ergonomics and "knobology" and "switchology".
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

PA-28R Arrow III in Microsoft Flight Simulator from Just Flight

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 1894
    Last post January 20, 2021, 03:08:53 AM