Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Campaign - Battles of Suomussalmi  (Read 11582 times)

Offline Renders

Re: Campaign - Battles of Suomussalmi
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 12:20:48 AM »
This post has been made before the actual video uploaded. So if you can't play it, it means it still uploading!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline RedWardancer

• HAVOC
Now that this campaign is underway...
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »
Am I the ONLY person training like crazy on vehicles just to get promotions?  8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 01:39:05 AM »
O.o    urm...  well. You don't have to train that hard. I think you know basics anyways. This is anyways going to be more like Havoc, and in the end.. focusing platoon / section tactics.. not company tactics like what most steel-beast scenarios are for. Also...  this is going to be full multi-crew all the time.  I can foresee missions where we go with one or two PC's..  and remaining guys..  have to be nurmiporia (infantry soldier, Bulletstopper, Bang bang)  as we say in Finland.  Will be interesting to see IFVs actually co operating with "smart" infantry. Though naturally that kind of missions will be define minor. And most often you will end up transporting either border guards, or Finnish army soldiers (both played by me or volunteers)..  instead of Dogs of war, players.

Eventually I'm going to assign someone/s to handle Artillery. This means basically making fire planning. So that fires are pin point accurate, called "from my command" on priority locations, and Timed smoke barriers to cover our and friendly infantry retreat. So that when needed...  a certain location. Will get very accurate call of artillery fire of maximum tubes, and just 1 / 2 rounds per tube.

One other thing that we are going to use a LOT is going to be micro UAV and UGV, as we proceed to clear towns with Finnish army infantry, supporting them.

Most likely in the end...  this campaign is going to be struggle with lack of ammunition Fuel and spare parts. So no blind shots are acceptable. Same goes for artillery...  Finland doesn't have "enough" of it. so we have to be very saving.  Instead our artillery... or well those who call it. Are very expert, and some ten years ago were faster and more accurate than computerized systems. I doubt that it would be so today anymore, but good nevertheless.

Also.. prepare to use even modern vehicles that are nearly wrecked state but have working main gun. Especially towards the end...  that is where it comes important to be able to use all kind of back up systems our vehicles have.  (And i'm for sure... going to create missions where some of systems that normally don't get disabled... will get disabled. Such as CV90 batteries, or T72 ballistic computer / hydraulics.

Vehicles you can expect..  I wrote a long list to half way, before figuring out how pointless it was. Simple answer is  "Pretty much anything"
Though on later part.. this campaign name may change to "Battles of Karelia"  Or "War in Lapland." Just hinting you all that its not going to be over.. even if Fighting in Suomussalmi will be finished ;)

Also about the promotions. Those are only for characters... not for players. Your character in the campaign may be promoted, assigned to a roles. According to how good you might be. BUT more likely is that when things get hot... your character will get promotion as one above your rank dies. Lets say that you're gunner...  your commander dies. You're likely be promoted to Commander of tank then. Or platoon leader dies and you just happen to make good...  calm replacement for this person.

Currently on previous and on next mission what matters is how nicely communication works. That is the key. Simplicity itself. No additional fancy talk is needed. When you're asked to report. You report and leave all the other crap away. If you do not understand...  don't pretend that you do... ask right away.
Also as nice as it would be to start giving advice's to other person in platoon net, so that everyone can hear. It will just create unnecessary talk on the platoon network. It's better that just one person will deal with it. - If you know what too many cooks can do while cooking same soup.. you understand what I mean.

Second thing that really matters is situation awareness and creativity. To a commander role, I do not need person who gets lost at the backyard after shooting couple of pigeons with shotgun. Nor I do not need platoon commander that is not able to use things at hand to improvise and make it possible what on schoolbooks would be impossible with lack of equipment.  That is why there was and is going to be more like this bear behind you training we had.

--------------------------

What I will look to reinforce is a team spirit. If we all pull same rope, and do our jobs. We are going to be damn good at what we do in the end.

--------------

I have lot to improve as well for the immersion of this campaign. I have already a quite a list of things I'm going to do otherwise than on last mission. One of biggest that you all will notice will be about the map / map updates.  In the future...  if I want you to have training in the map. I will simply disable entire map away, and hand you link to screenshot or google map xD 

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline RedWardancer

• HAVOC
It's all good
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 03:34:48 AM »
Any excuse to play more SB is good enough for me.  8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »

As a reminder. Next part of campaign will be played on next saturday -  28th of May

So everyone get ready for more multicrew experience, this time fully manned tank. So TCs have to command drivers as well.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

For everyone to know at this point. Last time you had just arrived to Suomussalmi, to the Tank nut groups training ground, and were put into action by sergeant Cliff. With a basic driving course, to teach basics of reporting and AFV handling on route.

After that (after mission) guys were trucked to local School building in center of Suomussalmi acting as their temporaly or even permanent home. And later at the night, taken to local bub to see how night life in Suomussalmi is.

-

Some of you were challenged to a drinking contest against sergeant cliff. Especially those who performed well last time. And I dare to claim that some will be having bad hangover after Russian vodka roulette  ;)

Too bad that Abrams Creighton had busy day trying to take care of very important personal stuff, and wasn't able to participate. He is most likely to be only fully sober one at the start of mission.

Per usual, there will be around 15 to max 30 min  infantry drills.

But some of you might remember Serceant Cliff mentioning that next day you will get to shooting range with AFVs. ;)   so its another unforgettable day to come.

Currently we have 9 persons signed in to this campaign. If you have not yet. Please sign in asap, as after this mission signing in wont be possible or even reasonable.

To sign in I need you to invent 3 character names. These characters will be your life's in campaign, and will receive promotions over the time if they do not die before that. If its hard to understand check the very first post of this topic.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Suomussalmi campaign date changes - Urgent, please reply!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »

Because of recent troubles in VU. It's come into consideration that it would likely be better to delay this campaign with a week. So that it would be played instead on 4th of June

And on this weekend we would play an old mission from the past.

Please let me know ASAP if you have trouble with this. I would prefer as many to be able to participate as possible.

As alternative. My campaign could be played on both. This and next weekend. Where this saturdays mission would be highly improvised. Likely Infantry training with BTR-80.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline wilso845

• HAVOC
  • ArmA
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »
Neebs
Brah
Fanny boz

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »
I'm in...Just getting my recruits in shape  :-*
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »
Great. How about Stormin btw. I think we could let hin in this campaign as this is going to be basic training for this mission atleast.

Also all guys heads up this Saturday you will be getting orders from sergeant Cliff again ;)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
Great. How about Stormin btw. I think we could let hin in this campaign as this is going to be basic training for this mission atleast.
Ofcourse :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Stormin Norman

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
Ok I'm in.

Here are some common U.S. names for you to use.

Mikko Kocula
Juho Uunila
Luukas Peltola

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:07:42 PM by Stormin Norman »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:02 PM »
Ill try to join aswell:

Don Quijote
Johan Willem Ripperda
Lawrence Prince

Now there is some names for you. First one is easy, and yes in real life nowadays they call me that without knowing my nickname. Seccond is a bit harder, and the last might even be a family member...
Cookie to the one that finds the link with the seccond personality.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:53:59 PM by Don_prince »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Team Iron Campaign Mission 13-02-16 Manning Roster

Started by Cougar11

Replies: 21
    Views: 6875