Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: Supply  (Read 4892 times)

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
Supply
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
Season's Greetings all! I hope to have some specific project updates shortly after the New Year to share. In the mean time, I want to discuss the proposed in-game supply system.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980

I love this quote and fits perfectly with this topic. Since TOWW is an operational level game logistics/supply will be a very important part of the game. Proper management will lead to a greater likelihood of success, while improper management will make the situation more difficult/impossible. I am trying to create a careful balance between player involvement with the supply, and streamlining to prevent disproportional player management. As important as supply is, I fully understand that most wargamers are about as excited to deal with supply as they are watching paint dry. At the end of the day I am trying to create a war game that people want to play. Below I will attempt to explain various supply mechanisms and concepts I want to implement with TOWW. This will evolve (perhaps greatly) with playtesting, but here is an inside look at what I have cooked up.

There are 4 categories of supply that will be tracked separately. In order of importance are Food, Fuel, Maintenance, and Ammunition. "WHAT?! AMMO is LAST" you say? Well read on.
Food-this represents the food and water required to keep bellies full, minds focused, and bodies fit for fighting. This includes humans and horses.
Fuel-this represents fuel to run vehicles, but it also represents fuel required to run military infrastructure like kitchens, generators, heating, etc.
Maintenance-this represents all the various items required to maintain an army. This includes tools and replacement parts for equipment, as well as items to help maintain the individual war fighter like toiletries, mail, uniforms, medicine, building supplies, horse supplies, etc.
Ammunition-Ammo is considered the lowest class of supply because without the first three, ammo is merely something extra to carry! Clearly ammo is important and it creates the biggest strain on the supply system by far, but it is the lowest priority.

The supply system will mostly be automated. Units will automatically receive increments of supply if they are "in supply". The rate of re-supply will be based on several factors like distance to supply source, amount of supplies available, road quality, dedicated supply vehicles (number and size of trucks, or horse-drawn), and the air situation. Players will have the ability to determine supply priority for every level of command down to the battalion level. You can see this on the Unit Info Screens that have High Normal or Low settings. So a player may direct which battalions receive supply faster within a regiment, division, etc. This can work in reverse too because when all battalions and their regiment are set to "Low" priority, they will give up all but a minimal amount of ammunition to be re-distributed outside the regiment.

Final item, I am considering allowing a "Supply" role for those rare birds interested in greater manipulation of the supply system. This would be a wish list item at best, and would likely not make it with initial game release. A supply role would be assigned to each command level at the Regiment level or higher. It would work like a command role where any player may be assigned the role and make detailed supply decisions for units under their influence. How many of you would this actually interest beyond the basic supply system stated above?

As always, please share your thoughts, ideas, comments and suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:27:28 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Supply
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:49:45 PM »
Hi choppinlt

I like your ideas on supply. I think it is an integral part of any game of this type. I like how you have it broken into different types.

What about supply dumps? These would be created by the player so as to have a better network? Is that doable?

I like the idea of a plyer controlling just the supply. It is something that would interest me.

This is really starting to take shape.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »
Great, thanks!  :)

The idea with the categories is to help create different realistic situations. Playtesting may show that this should be simplified a bit, but this is my current concept.

Supply dumps-this is doable and I have some basic thoughts. This is an aspect that will design itself to a certain degree where other factors will help dictate how it will work. Here is the basic framework: supply will be primarily handled at the corp level, and players will be allowed to create dumps at division, brigade and regiment levels. Clearly there will be restrictions on when and how it can be created as well as size and composition. Players will need to be careful on creating dumps, especially if the enemy can gain access to them.

Supply Role- the idea is to allow a player to be responsible for managing supply in a more detailed manner, but the player could be assigned command roles too. Asid, do you have thoughts on how you would like this to work? Again, this is a wish list item...we can always dream right?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
Supply Role- the idea is to allow a player to be responsible for managing supply in a more detailed manner, but the player could be assigned command roles too. Asid, do you have thoughts on how you would like this to work? Again, this is a wish list item...we can always dream right?

That sounds like a cool idea actually.  It might be fun to try out that role.  I agree with making it a future feature though.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
Hey Canadian Cat, great to hear from you! Glad you like the idea. Yeah, the last thing I need to do is try to complicate this project even more! Ideas come much quicker than game progress unfortunately... On a related note, I hope to share a video on this forum early next week that goes in to detail discussing command roles. I briefly discuss the logistic role too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:55:23 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: