Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: The big bad story behind your nickname/VUname topic  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
The big bad story behind your nickname/VUname topic
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »
Every forum needs one and uptill now we had none.

I will start off.

I am known around by a few nicknames on the internet

I was the happy owner of the email adres asdf@hotmail.nl . I should not have kept the password asdf aswell so that didnt last long. so I needed a new one and as a young kid I made up Prince0810. Why Prince0810?  Well my last name is Prins, translated to english Prince. My phone area code is 0180, Well Don why does it say 0810? because I was stupid and mistyped it... when I noticed (a week later) I liked it and kept it...

Then I started online gaming. Mind you I was pretty young at that time... In my eyes back then noone was more powerfull than the maffia. So theres where Don comes in... And that became Don_prince. When I got older I stuck to it. Some people now think my first name is Donald (so thats not true)... I find it kinda funny... There is one downside I noticed. Don is phoneticaly the same with a lot of other words... This is why AJ is behind my name. This represends my initials. If I dont respond the first time on you calling Don, use AJ and I know you are talking to me (unless I am afk ofcource). In the rare ocasion a Donald Prince was before me I am called Don_prince01. One of those occasions is GFWL.

So where did your nickname/VUname come from?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
Re: The big bad story behind your nickname/VUname topic
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:27:49 AM »
Mine is simple. My high school mascot was a cougar, and my ice hockey number was 11. Nothing really bad ass other than a cougar is kinda bad ass, and I did play hockey outside of high school. I played for the Anaheim Jr. Ducks which was a Junior B team in the West Coast Hockey League,  the Great Falls MT All Americans a Junior A hockey team, and finally before I stopped playing I played with the MN Ice Hawks which is now in Rochester MN. A friend of mine the head coach of the team now played with me in high school, in California, and in MN. His father, my father, and my friend started the Hawks, and when I stopped playing and came back from active duty Army, I coached with the team for a year as well. The team has gone on to winning multiple national championships, and is now in the Junior Tier 3 league.

I guess Cougar would be a good call sign in flight, or as a nickname in a tank, or other games.

When Cougar11 is taken, I will use Cougar9113, or Kback which is a offshoot of my first and last name.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »

Story behind my nickname...  is rather long, even embarrassing.

When I first needed nickname, I chose to use my favorite animal as nickname

Yup that's a snowleopard, that... as translated to Finnish is Lumileopardi

Any questions anymore of what Lumi means? :D

Anyways, it is not that easy. I wish it would be.

Problem is, and was that of course this was usually taken. Im not only one who likes this animal. So using it as name was bad choice. Thus it was rather long as well.

So I tried to make it shorter Lumileo or if that was taken. Lumileo86 if one before was taken. Where 86, is year when I was born.

in the end, even that didn't sound as cool and nice as I would have wanted it to be, and I wanted it to sound more dynamic and stormy. Like a blizzard.

So...  I thought that why not to use name Lumituisku instead. Where...  Lumi = Snow.. and Tuisku = ... well sort of blizzard. Or actually it kind of means wind that carries snow with it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_snow. In Finland we have rather many ways calling snow, or effects relating it. "Lumi, tuisku, nuoska, räntä, loska, pyry, pakkanen... to mention few. Remember that in Finnish one basic word can be extended with many other words. As example.. Lumi-tuisku, Lumi-pyry, Pakkas-lumi, loska-lumi etc etc.

So yeah.. Lumituisku... sounds a lot more dynamic, doesn't it?

Even better, most often that name wasn't taken, so I was able to use it almost everywhere. GREAT.

NOT!

Almost same year Finland got new, superstar from Idols show in Finland

Named.. Antti...  Yup.. just like my real name is..  and his last name being Tuisku. ... as in full Antti Tuisku... even worse. All those who considered themselfs as true mens, thought that this Antti tuisku is gay with capital letter. - And that anyone watching, liking, or any way - form showing way that they like - Favor Antti Tuisku.

It would been ok... if it would been just a moment of shine to him... but no...  it still continues, and even more stronger than before.
He seems to be favored mainly by a young girls. ... 

This is... why I rather be called just Lumi. 

Just as most of my family, friends, relatives call me. Lumi has become even more used than my real name.  ^^ 

Problem with Lumi is.. that it is almost always taken, anywhere where I go...  so that's why I kind of have to stick with Lumi-Tuisku for login names.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »
Mine story is fairly small. The nicknames is the result of a mispronunciation of my last name made by one of my former clients. It was in the first company I worked for several years ago. He regularly asked for Mr. Lusik while calling the company number and everybody there picked it up almost immediately. :) It's short and unique enough to be used in forms on online gaming.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
My story begins in the 90's when I was on active duty and assigned to an aviation training unit as a communications instructor. The pilots in the unit, being pilots and apparently not use to referring to other people by their real names, dubbed me Beef. I was not able to pick my own call sign, but fortunately I was given one that wasn't too embarrassing and left the ladies at the club wondering what it really meant. My last name is Welling, but many people seem to add on the "ton" at the end--and from there the food dish Beef Wellington made it an obvious choice to my new found Airedale friends.

There was a competing call sign from a few guys (non-pilots like me) who knew I graduated from Arizona State. Being the Comm instructor with a degree from ASU where "Sparky" is the mascot almost took. But it came down to a vote, and when I was late for the vote taking place at the club someone asked "Where's the Beef?"  ... and then there was no vote.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »
But it came down to a vote, and when I was late for the vote taking place at the club someone asked "Where's the Beef?"  ... and then there was no vote.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Cupcake

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
I used to go by "Ghostrider" a long time ago, since that was the name of the unit I was in when I started gaming online.  (C Co., 1/3 Aviation Regt., 2nd Arm. Div.), but I soon realized that it was not very unique at all.

Toward the end of my short military career (only 6 years) I was assigned for a month as an observer/controller (basically a referred) at the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) at Ft. Polk.  While I was there, my call sign was A16 (AlphaOneSix).  So I started using that name instead.  It's pretty unique and so it has stuck with me for a long time.

Shortly after I started my current job, my wife was invited to be on an episode of the TV show "Cupcake Wars" (her team got 2nd place). Around that time she was making a lot of desserts at home and I would take them to work to give to my coworkers.  One day, a coworker called me "Cupcake" and it stuck.  When overseas, we are all required to have call signs, even though a lot of us don't use them, and the staff people tend to take their call signs way too seriously. But some of my coworkers do call me Cupcake.  Anyway, I realized pretty quickly in Steel Beasts that having a name like "Alpha One Six" could be very confusing because of how units are named, so I decided to just start using my work call sign.  In online forums, I mostly use AlphaOneSix, and I really only use Cupcake for Steel Beasts, but if you showed up where I worked and asked for Cupcake, everyone would know exactly who you meant.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 03:57:45 AM »
Great story Cupcake..."I'm so excited!"

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »
My nick is frankie (small letter 'f') because, frankly speaking, all the others are already taken. You know, Maverick, Goose, Iceman, Viper,.... so yeah, Frankie is as close to my real name as it can be. Haha. When I first stumbled upon Dogs Of War channel, I chatted with Asid because his avatar was the only one hanging around there like a blimp. I thought (assumed) that that was his real name.

Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Tags:

thermal imager Leopard 2

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2890
    Last post June 12, 2015, 03:53:08 AM
    by Asid
    Who is your Bada-ss?

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3942
    Last post August 10, 2015, 04:27:24 AM
    by Gunslinger668
    The True Story of The Philadelphia Experiment (Documentary)

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 2773
    Last post October 11, 2018, 05:39:38 PM
    by Beef
    Thermal Camera reveals how your body dumps heat while exercising!

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 1
    Views: 3119
    Last post August 15, 2016, 11:18:08 AM
    by Don_prince
    Greatest Tank Battles - Stalingrad (my dad's favourite topic is Stalingrad)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 2
    Views: 3017
    Last post June 06, 2016, 01:56:51 PM
    by Asid