Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: June 2016 Update  (Read 26251 times)

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Re: June 2016 Update
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
 More from Ssnake

34 minutes ago, CharlieB said:
Are any additional engineer and obstacle capabilities coming, eg Trojan type Vehs and the ability to add anti tank ditches? All adds flavour to the war fighting scenarios.

Most of that functionality will have to wait until after the 4.0 release. We have to get the new terrain engine working reliably first. There's an incredible amount of dependencies in the code that must all be considered and handled properly. Once that this is done we can shift the attention to
a) the new Map Editor, which will include functions to modify the elevation profile of the terrain, and
b) dynamic terrain features that would allow engineer vehicles and other elements to deform the terrain at runtime.

Needless to say, the latter must be reconciled with functions like "join in progress", and "save mission in progress" as well as the Operations Editor, the pathfinding logic of computer-controlled units, line of sight calculations, etc.

I will be very glad and relieved when all the plumbing work is finished and everything basically works on release. Fancy stuff will have to wait until then.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline chrisreb

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »

I really hope Patria AMVs will be playable. :D  I love to see more Finnish stuff.

Its something I have been hungry about for a long time.

Crikey! I am only just getting to grips with the existing ones unlike you old timers in the sim!  Looks very promising from what I have seen so far.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
Crikey! I am only just getting to grips with the existing ones unlike you old timers in the sim!  Looks very promising from what I have seen so far.

Don't worry mate. one you learn basics of each vehicle group. Tank, IFV, PC...  you can pretty promptly go to any vehicle. And if you need any further training, or knowledge always make sure to ask. :)  were here for that. At least I'm. I can most likely teach you more from CV9030 than... I dare to say.. any other. With except of Zipuli...   and those real life soldiers who operate it xD  but in the sim..  I'm mastering that vehicle real well. :) Been focusing on it for 2 years :3   And I dare to say I know most of bugs its burdened with. 

I would really like to play with you sometime :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 10:42:12 PM »
TTB action

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 11:03:36 PM »
From Dejawolf
  10 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:
man, that seems to be hard tank to kill when its hull down. - Not too difficult to make un-operational.. but hard to kill.  Very nice video! I like new effects of exhaust, dust, and even shots look different!

In what way this new 72 differs from one we have already? Does its gunner have thermal camera? And maybe some reinforced armor at turret? 

pretty much the same old T-72B as in SB pro PE 3.028, but with a much improved and fully normal-mapped model. there's the one with K1 ERA and one without.
no thermals, just the choice between the T-72B with 1K13 missile sight, or T-72B1 with the slightly improved TPN-3 night sight.

Ho does it sound like... these would actually be playable :D ?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
New video clip from Dejawolf playing in beta version.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline chrisreb

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »

Don't worry mate. one you learn basics of each vehicle group. Tank, IFV, PC...  you can pretty promptly go to any vehicle. And if you need any further training, or knowledge always make sure to ask. :)  were here for that. At least I'm. I can most likely teach you more from CV9030 than... I dare to say.. any other. With except of Zipuli...   and those real life soldiers who operate it xD  but in the sim..  I'm mastering that vehicle real well. :) Been focusing on it for 2 years :3   And I dare to say I know most of bugs its burdened with. 

I would really like to play with you sometime :)

Keeping an eye out for events - signed up for one next Sunday evening but yes would be great to get together on line. Perhaps a Saturday evening if Sunday committed ?(do you join in the events on others?) - if my wife could stand me chatting to myself on the PC !
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Keeping an eye out for events - signed up for one next Sunday evening but yes would be great to get together on line. Perhaps a Saturday evening if Sunday committed ?(do you join in the events on others?) - if my wife could stand me chatting to myself on the PC !

I'm sorry but cause I have to wake up to work early on Mondays, I hardly ever play on Sundays. Only when I have day of for some weird reason, and that is rare ,spontaneous event. To me Fridays and Saturdays are best days to play. And on Saturdays I prioritize to DOW mission.

During week I'm often available between 14- 17 GTM

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline chrisreb

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »

I'm sorry but cause I have to wake up to work early on Mondays, I hardly ever play on Sundays. Only when I have day of for some weird reason, and that is rare ,spontaneous event. To me Fridays and Saturdays are best days to play. And on Saturdays I prioritize to DOW mission.

During week I'm often available between 14- 17 GTM

If I see a DOW event on a Saturday I shall try to join in.  If none come up in the near future perhaps we can do a small one on a Friday evening like we tried before. Teamspeak worked fine the last few times I tried it.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
If I see a DOW event on a Saturday I shall try to join in.  If none come up in the near future perhaps we can do a small one on a Friday evening like we tried before. Teamspeak worked fine the last few times I tried it.

Dear Chris. I replied you on PM message instead as this topic is truly dedicated to discussion about coming update. ^^   Talk to you there about the gaming times and so. :)

And lets keep this topic from now on concerned about the version 4.0 update of Steelbeast.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
New playable interior modeled tank M60A3
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 05:59:12 AM »

Dejawolfs video comment
Video showing me bumbling around with the m60A3. the m60A3 has some quirkyness where after you fire, it loses stabilization, and you have to press a button to re-enable it, which is why you see the sight jumping around after some shots. also not used to the dynamic lead, so quite a few shots ends up flying sideways.
luckily the T-62s and T-55s are busy blasting the M113s.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:33:04 AM by Lumituisku »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
New engineer units + concertina in-game deploying
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »

Ssnake: All right, so I still have two more videos already uploaded to YouTube, of which I will release one later today, and one next Tuesday before ITEC opens its gate. Friday after ITEC I shall give you the complete list of new playable vehicles ... which is surprisingly large, actually.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:29:42 AM by Lumituisku »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 06:14:02 AM »
Concertina in vehicles is also a direct visual clue how many obstacles you can build, and for each obstacle that you create these rolls disappear from the model. When you set up an obstacle, infantry will draw the needed materials from the vehicles in the vicinity, usually the own vehicle platoon. But the resources of other platoons could also be drawn upon, if they happen to be in the vicinity.

do the excavators work?
Not for the initial release. Like I wrote, it's a hint about our future development plans.

Tracks are still going into the ground in the new version?
Yeah... because they so in real life as well. Admittedly it would be more satisfying to see some of the mud squished aside but that's the kind of visual frills we'll look into once that we're satisfied with the rest of what we're trying to simulate ... so it's probably still a ways off.

JPVee511: Will the roads level out on slopes even in the absence of buildings nearby?

eSimGamesDtl: JPVee511 Yes, of course. I picked this piece of terrain because there, with the old engine, the presence of houses made everything even worse.

JPVee511: Thanks for the verification. I thought I was seeing otherwise.

eSimGamesDtl:
You're right, you did!
But that's because not every road gets leveled when performing a legacy map conversion. In this specific example we had single lane concrete paths which don't exactly qualify as "a road". Since the leveling is based on the low resolution terrain mesh it only makes sense to apply it to larger roads.
With the new map editor our intent is to apply leveling at a higher resolution which will then tap the potential of the new engine much better.

JPVee511: So, if I understand correctly, all HNT/MMM files which are (obviously) native to 4.0 and going forward will have level roads regardless of road type?

Also, with legacy .ter file, will I still need to run navmesh after every edit, or just once and for all in 4.0?

Finally, will the old stock .hgt/.ter collection be included and already converted to HNT/MMM for 4.0?

eSimGamesDtl :
1) They "can" have. The new map editor will probably allow to level roads not just summarily for the entire map, but also for selected roads only

2) The new nav meshes are tied to the TER file now, not to the scenario. But obviously, if you edit the map and add or remove objects that have an obstacle value, they could only be recognized in the pathfinding if the nav mesh is up to date. However, Nav meshes are being generated MUCH faster now and of better overall quality, so the trade-off is clearly positive.

3) We will definitely convert everything to LNT. HNT files won't be needed initially. We're undecided about the MMM files since they are pretty large. It may be that we provide a separate installer for these, or that you need to generate them after installation in some batch process.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:18:24 AM by Lumituisku »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 06:20:43 AM »
Apocalypse referring to Dejawolfs video of playable m60
7:55 - Soldier has a weapon with a bipod
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 06:27:47 AM »
Picture posted to SB forums by Grenny

More pictures from RogueSnake79

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:32:56 AM by Lumituisku »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

December 2014 Program Update

Started by Admin

Replies: 0
    Views: 5478
    Last post December 07, 2014, 01:29:07 AM
    by Admin
    Update 3.022

Started by Admin

Replies: 2
    Views: 6014
    Last post December 19, 2014, 10:05:23 AM