Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: More on Footprints and ZOC  (Read 3601 times)

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
More on Footprints and ZOC
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »
Here is some more detail on unit footprints and corresponding ZOC. These details will continue to be evaluated through the development process and adjusted accordingly. As always feel free to comment and give your thoughts and suggestions.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:21:41 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 76mm

Re: More on Footprints and ZOC
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:33:08 AM »
How is facing indicated?  Also, presumably ZoC is not affected by terrain (rivers, forests, urban)?

Finally, using original topo maps as the maps, how will units follow roads, be affected by rivers, etc.?  In most games, there is a limited number configurations for roads and other linear terrain features--I guess because this simplifies the programming--and I'm curious how this will work with the "free form" topo maps?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
Re: More on Footprints and ZOC
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:48:16 PM »
Facing is easy when a unit is moving because it will be in the direction of the movement path. When a unit is stationary the basic concept will be some sort of indicator showing the "front" of the unit. I havn't finalized this design aspect yet, but it will sort itself out as other design aspects evolve, especially with a little playtesting.

Correct, my current concept does not have the ZOC being affected by terrain.

Remember that we will allow for the use of real topo maps and for the curated maps. As for units following roads, they only get the full benefit of road movement when using March movement. So marching on a bridge over a river a unit will be at full speed. When spanning an unfordable river, it will provide a crossing point for units using Approach movement. Since it provides a choke point for a deployed unit, it will significantly slow an approaching unit down.

Underneath the map picture (curated or topo) there will be tiles with attributes assigned to each tile. I don't know if I have mentioned this yet, but we decided about a month ago that we would decrease the tile size to 100m^2. Does this answer all your questions?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Battle of St. Andre de l'Epine

Started by choppinlt

Replies: 73
    Views: 36492
    Last post March 27, 2017, 02:52:32 PM