Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: Unit Info Screen  (Read 4133 times)

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
Unit Info Screen
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »
The development team met last night and discussed a number of dfferent topics. In short we still have the goal of presenting at OGDE Nov 6-8, and we are working to make that a reality. I am posting several concept pics that were discussed last night for you to see and peruse. While there has been little action here on the forum, we have been slaving away.... Kind of the calm before the storm.  ;)

OK, so what happens when you bring up the Unit Info screen? First off, there are 3 ways for players to get info on their units. The Unit Info tag gives a quick reference on the strength and combat effectiveness for every unit on the map. When a unit is selected, additional information will be displayed in the main game screen UI info area. And finally, when a player brings up the command menu, they can choose the Unit Info screen. Below are 2 pics to show the concept.

Before you look, I need to explain the Unit Info screen has 2 tabs. The first tab gives you the exact status of the unit you chose in its current state. The second tab gives the status of the organic unit only. Why is this important? If a unit has detached elements and a player wants to assess the health of the organic unit, it can be done. If you have a battle group of different units, you can check the status of the battle group. The pictures illustrate this by showing  1/115 Inf Regt which has B company detached, but has B/1/66 Arm Regt attached. The first pic (as denoted in the tab) is the unit's current status, the second pic is the unit's organic status.

There is more to it, but I will stop there and let you take a look...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:34:32 PM by choppinlt »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline A Canadian Cat

Re: Unit Info Screen
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
Looking good.  I think this screen looks fairly self explanatory and clear.  I have one question and a suggestion.  In the equipment list some items have two numbers X / Y.  I think they mean current strength / full strength.  The vehicles have three X / Y / Z.  Is the last one for damaged and possibly going to return vehicles?

My suggestion has to do with navigation between units. Your example has a clear title box to show what you are looking at but the parent unit is named under it.  It took me a couple of tries to figure it out.  How about this instead (keeping in mind that I could not draw the boxes around the titles and the forum screen is quite a bit wider than your drawing but I think you get the idea):

A title box for what you are looking at and a bread crumbs bar for the parent units - which are click able.  So for the first battalion you would see.

115th Infantry Regiment

1st Battalion

If you then click on A Company you then see.

115th Infantry Regiment -> 1st Battalion

A Company

If you then click on Mortar section 1 you then see.

115th Infantry Regiment -> 1st Battalion -> A Company

Mortar Section 1
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »
I think this is exactly why I post these concepts, so I can get excellent suggestions! Yes, consider that suggestion added.

To answer your question, you are correct about the vehicles. It goes Operational/Max Allowable/Possessed Unserviceable. The first two a self explanatory. The Possessed Unserviceable means they are NOT battle worthy, but they are still possessed by the unit awaiting maintenance (as opposed to awaiting replacements from losses). So if you run a tank battalion all over with no pauses, you will see the number rise as they lose battle worthiness...that is the basic concept. Make sense?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:16:49 PM »
Great.  Yes, that makes perfect sence.
funny
informative