Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Chain of Command  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Chain of Command
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »

http://bitbunch.eu/chain-of-command/#mg

Chain of Command is an operational level wargame set in World War II. The game features large-scale battles taking place in continuous time, with emphasis on planning, maneuverability, and effective order execution.

The game is played on highly detailed topographic maps, allowing commanders to zoom-in between different levels of military hierarchy. Chain of Command is based on a unique game engine, which uses a spherical Earth model to visualize the environment.

CoC (Chain of Command) is currently in the pre-alpha stage of development.

How Chain of Command utilizes the Metis engine

Published on Jun 4, 2015

Technology preview of the Metis engine used by Chain of Command. The game is currently in the pre-alpha stage of its development.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:23:24 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Chain of Command
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:33:23 AM »
Chain of Command - Pre-alpha 2

Published on 27 Nov 2015

Render improvements, first signs of interface and game-play.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »
Update

6 February 2016

A quick tech update to show that we are still alive and actually well on our way.
We're currently knee-deep in A.I. integration. Below a shot from our A.I. training environment. For a more in-depth blog post on the subject, keep an eye on our website: www.BitBunch.eu/blog/

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:00:08 AM »
Welcome to the Chain of Command Newsletter #4.

A lot of exciting things have been happening since we sent out our last newsletter, so we have lots to talk about!

The single biggest news item is that we have signed a publishing deal for Chain of Command with Slitherine. Getting the backing of one of the biggest publishers in war- and strategy games is essential to making the game a success.

On the development front, work on Chain of Command is moving steadily ahead: various new engine components have been integrated such as the basic unit AI, road networks and road-based routing and work has started on air forces. There are still lots of features to add and we will be showing them off in future newsletters, so stay tuned!

The BitBunch Team

Chain of Command has a publisher!

We are very happy and proud to announce that we have signed a publishing deal with UK-based publisher Slitherine, the world's leading publisher of digital wargames and strategy games!

For us it is a recognition of our hard work and an indication we are on the right track. The feedback and expertise in marketing and sales from Slitherine will allow us to spend more of our time on the actual development of the game and use that time more effectively.

That's all we can talk about for now, more details about the particulars will come at a later time.

DevBlog #6: Building the AI

In the latest installment of our Development Blog series, we give you some insight into the design driving the unit A.I. in the game. The sheer scale of Chain of Command requires a new approach to building an A.I. system, so that is what we're doing. Read the full story on our website on how we approach the core challenge of making units act sensibly and do it in a way that allows us to have thousands of them active in real-time: Dev Blog #6: Simulating Human Behaviour

The Luftwaffe - Screenshots
The Luftwaffe was instrumental in securing Germany's early victories during the Blitzkrieg years by knocking Allied air forces out of the sky and providing close air support to the fast-moving Panzer units on the ground. Chain of Command would not be complete without air forces, so in this newsletter we give you a peek at some 3D models of Luftwaffe planes.

Junkers Ju-87B 'Stuka'

The Junkers Ju-87B became the symbol of Blitzkrieg with its bent wings and typical sound created by sirens mounted underneath its wings. Serving as flying artillery in support of the Panzer formations, its deployment and effectiveness came as a total surprise to the Allies.

Messerschmitt Bf-109E

The Messerschmitt Bf-109E was the Luftwaffe's primary fighter plane in use in 1940. Capable of outperforming almost every plane the Allies possessed, it proved to be a deadly tool in the hands of German pilots.

Heinkel He-111H

The mainstay of Germany's bomber force early in the war, the Heinkel He-111H was used extensively for a wide range of missions, but will for ever be associated with the bombings of major population centers like Warsaw and Rotterdam.

That's it from the Luftwaffe for now. In the next newsletter we'll take a look at some Allied planes as they were used in the skies above France and the Low Countries in 1940.

AI: Road-based Routing
During World War 2, operations planning was dominated by the logistics required to sustain an army in the field. During offensives, roads were the main arteries through which supplies flowed from the rail heads to the troops in the fields. Roads were also important to the combat units themselves, since they provided the quickest means of getting from A to B.

Route-planning in action: 4 different routes, all starting from the village on the right, have been plotted by the routing engine to 4 different destinations using the available road network.

This is why it is important to integrate road networks and route planning into Metis, the engine on which Chain of Command is being built. The map data we use contains a highly detailed road network and we have integrated a high performance route planning engine in Metis. Capable of planning hundreds of routes per second, it forms one of the cornerstones of the engine's ability to plan routes for thousands of units.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »
Shots showing changes in CoC during development

In Luxembourg.

Taking a short break from work on gameplay and the interface to do some GIS processing.
Here a few shots of the Pyrenees:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:57:17 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
August report...

We just finished a development cycle dedicated to the user interface which will aid the player in its challenging task of commanding thousands of units. So we will spend lots of additional effort on the UI in time to come. And of course visuals are still subject to change.

For September we planned to move our simulation from the CPU to the GPU. Going from a 40 GFLOPS to a 3000 GFLOPS domain enables us to scale-up to the promised amount of individual units even though we'll have to share the GPU with rendering tasks.

Keep an eye on our site www.BitBunch.eu where we plan to add more in-depth stories to our development blog. Topics to come: Route-planning, Formations, GUI, GPGPU and more.

September report...

Since we are working close to the metal at the moment, this will be a techie update. It also means, no new screenshots.

We finished the implementation of our ECS (Entity Component System) on the GPU and are currently porting the simulation code. We are very pleased with the results. The entire simulation will be running on the GPU. Only (disk) IO and the user interface remain on the CPU. This way the data exchange between CPU and GPU is smaller and less frequent. Combined with the much larger processing capability of the GPU, this means lots of fully simulated units!

October will be spent on finishing the port and testing the systems.
We can not wait to show off some pics of those unit counts!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:57:01 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
I was excited until I saw the publisher

It'll probably be released on iOS :'(
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
I was excited until I saw the publisher

It'll probably be released on iOS :'(

The devs are putting a lot into it...This is on my list  8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline george

• Military Operations Developer
    • Military Operations
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm George, one of the developers of this game. First of all: thank you Asid for mentioning the game on your forums, we appreciate it!

For those who don't know about the game: Chain of Command is a continuous-time operational level war-game set in World War 2. The game puts you in command of one or more units during famous battles of World War 2 which take place on geographically accurate maps on an Earth-sized 3D planet. You can command from a high-level by drawing your attack plans on the maps and have lower HQ's work out the details, or you can zoom down to company or even platoon level and tweak things to your heart's content. The game is being developed for Windows PC's and uses OpenGL for 3D rendering.

You can find more details on the website, or, if you have any questions, just post them here or send me a PM, I'll be happy to answer them.

George
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm George, one of the developers of this game. First of all: thank you Asid for mentioning the game on your forums, we appreciate it!

Thank you George for joining our forum. We appreciate your input. I look forward to more posts from you concerning COC.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Greybriar

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
Welcome to the forums, George.

Thank you for the information about Chain of Command. I am certainly more interested in it now, knowing that it is for PCs and not iOS. Will it be available from GOG.com?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." --Calvin Coolidge

Offline george

• Military Operations
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Will it be available from GOG.com?

That's a good question, but one that I cannot answer at the moment, since it hasn't been decided yet. But it's certainly something we can discuss with our publisher.

Is there any specific reason you mention GOG.com? Or is it just your favorite place to buy games from?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Greybriar

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »
Will it be available from GOG.com?

That's a good question, but one that I cannot answer at the moment, since it hasn't been decided yet. But it's certainly something we can discuss with our publisher.

Is there any specific reason you mention GOG.com? Or is it just your favorite place to buy games from?

I mentioned GOG.com because as far as I know it is the only source of PC games that are all DRM-Free.

Sorry for the delay but I had completely forgotten about this thread.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." --Calvin Coolidge

Offline george

• Military Operations
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
Thank you for clarifying this. I still have no definitive answer, however. I do know that it is not very likely to be available on from GOG.com on release day.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Greybriar

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
Thank you for your response. It was certainly more timely than mine was to you.

I hope at some in the future Chain of Command will be available from GOG.com for the benefit of those gamers who prefer games that are DRM-Free.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Command multiplayer

Started by Cougar11

Replies: 4
    Views: 3638
    Last post March 14, 2018, 05:13:50 AM
    by Beef
    Command Modern Air and Naval Operations - Command Live: You Brexit, You Fix it!

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 4800
    Last post August 26, 2016, 08:46:36 PM
    by Asid
    To End All Wars and Commander: The Great War 50% Discount!

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2720
    Last post March 21, 2017, 02:26:29 PM
    by Asid
    Command Ops 2

Started by Admin

Replies: 35
    Views: 33701
    Last post January 09, 2018, 05:55:55 PM
    by General Sandman
    Starship Troopers - Terran Command