Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Ancient Armies: by Rob Pollard  (Read 17888 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Ancient Armies: by Rob Pollard
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »

Ancient Armies
(In Development)

Description
An advanced simulation of Ancient Warfare. With the possibility of modelling periods all the way up to the late 1800’s. In addition, the mapping system (tentatively called ‘Atlas’), is coded to be completely stand-alone. As such Atlas can be used for any period or game!

What makes Ancient Armies unique?

It will be one of the first wargames that will put the player firmly in the place of the commander. The player will only be able to see and react to the events that a real leader who is physically present on the battlefield will be able to.

The finished map editor and mapping system.

Official Site:
https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/

Official Videos:
https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/video-media/

Official Youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt1-6gwNvh8&list=PLAWNvkDrHeDHNiw2YnT-p5mFwKZ7dOukb/

Official FAQ:
https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/about/

Manual: N/A

Official Forum: N/A

Features

•   An Advanced Mapping System. Ancient Armies features one of the most advanced mapping systems currently available to any wargame – gone are the hexes and squares of older computer based games! The mapping system can simulate maps from hundreds of metres across, up to around 50 km across, though more than likely it will be able to go much larger. The mapping system is also fully vectorised, which in layman’s speak means that it will provide a smooth and continuous zooming capability with no loss of mapping detail – regardless of how close one zooms in. In addition, the mapping system supports massive customization, terrain overlays and Bezier based curves for more natural looking terrain.

•   An Industry Leading Line-Of-Sight System. When set to its highest setting, it models not just terrain based line of sight, but also unit based line of sight too. It is so advanced that it can show the effects of screening units and has the capability to show things from purely the commander’s perspective only. In addition, it even takes into account such things as terrain clutter and the actual height of the commander! For example a person on a horse can more easily see over a unit of men….

•   Realistic Command and Control. Going hand in hand with the Line-Of-Sight system, is probably one of the most realistic command and control simulations seen in an Ancient Warfare game. Most of your battles will be pre-planned using signals to trigger off events – just like real life. However, as a commander you can dispatch and receive messengers (called heralds in the game) and even personally order other units that are close enough directly yourself. In addition, the system will model your ability to be able to command dependent on whether you are actively fighting or taking a more backseat role. Both styles of command have their advantages and disadvantages…

•   Detailed Formation Modelling. Ancient Armies includes some of the most advanced formation modelling ever seen in any game! Formations actually have a big impact on the game. Formations will impact combat, movement, cohesion and fatigue. Units will be able to adopt a wide variety of formations and unit densities – just like real life! This will enable players to experience the differences between a Roman Maniple and a Macedonian Phalanx (a first in a wargame) – thus forcing a player to operate them the way they would be operated in real life. In addition, Ancient Armies models the actual locations of the individual people within a formation down to a precision of 10cm!!! These locations are dynamically modelled so that as a formation takes casualties, you will be able to see that impact on their shapes…

•   Realistic Manoeuvre Modelling. Most wargames treat all units of a given type the same way. Not Ancient Armies! These other systems also take big shortcuts with regard to the modelling of the various manoeuvres, such as having units turn from their centre points – a manoeuvre that would be almost impossible to do in real life. In Ancient Armies the manoeuvres available to each unit are unique – for example a Roman unit will be able to do a lot more than a Barbarian unit. In addition, the way that each unit carries out these manoeuvres will also be unique as the system takes into account a variety of variables that would affect that unit’s performance.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:48:46 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Ancient Armies
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
Development Videos

The video below shows the effects of movement on unit cohesion:

And this one shows the effects of fatigue (cohesion was not yet in when this was filmed):

This earlier video shows the effects of the terrain on the units in the game:

This video presents an overview of Ancient Armies’ unique mapping system:

A stress test of the mapping system that shows it can be used for large and complex maps:

This video demonstrates the three line of sight modes used within Ancient Armies:

The next video shows off Ancient Armies detailed unit turn mechanics – probably the most detailed of any currently released wargame:

The next video is an early one that shows the simultaneous unit movement and time compression controls:

Ancient Armies Improved Orders Symbology

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:56:57 AM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Ancient Armies: by Rob Pollard
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
reserved
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:44:40 AM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
Reserved
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:34:40 PM »
Reserved
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »
Reserved
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
Improved Orders Symbology!

In a static picture the changes between the old and new systems are quite subtle. You have to see the system moving to experience the full effects of the enhancements (see video at the end of this post). That said, what is immediately apparent above, is that the new system’s curved and straight arrows are now harmonised in terms of look and feel.

Although most of my time is tied up learning ASP.Net MVC in preparation for my next job, I have found a little time to tweak some of the existing subsystems in Ancient Armies.

First to come under the spotlight was the orders symbology subsystem.

There was a lot about it that really grated against my engineering perfectionism….

Firstly, there’s the ghastly oscillation of the symbols when the units are moving. If you watch any of the previous Ancient Armies videos you will see the movement arrows bouncing up and down as the units moved!

Not on my watch! This kind of amateurish behaviour has to go!

More here: https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/improved-orders-symbology/
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:57 AM »
Line of Sight is now in Real-Time!

Published on 11 Oct 2015

Thanks to some major optimisations, line of sight is now calculated in realtime! This quick video shows leader-based line of sight in action.

Full post here: https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/line-of-sight-is-now-in-real-time-p/
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 05:39:16 PM »
Subsytems Updated

Some of the updates:
•   Orders system symbology
•   Cohesion subsystem

See Here: https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/a-bit-of-spit-and-polish/

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »
Out of Time! Update

Initial stress testing of the system.

The screenshot above shows a number of semi-historical units in a mock battle to test how the system can deal with many units. It’s not the largest battle in the world, but it is a lot bigger than the ones that I have been testing up until now.

With this many units in play and moving about, there was a negative effect on framerates.

I can probably perform more optimizations to make things liquid smooth again, but I now think that the time is right to implement my fall-back plan *Muhahaha* :twisted:

Many of you know that the system runs using 30 second real-time turns. Some of you might have been wondering why I had gone down this design route instead of making the game fully real-time?

Well here are the answers:

I wanted a game that could easily be played by email – a popular means of playing wargames on the internet.
    I also wanted to provide a back-up plan for potential future performance issues…

Answer 2 probably needs a little more elaboration.

Real-time games have one technical disadvantage, they are constrained by the fact that all the game calculations have to be performed at least 60 times every second. As a result each set of calculations must be finished before its 16 millisecond slot elapses.

Calculations can take longer, but at that point they will start to negatively impact the game’s frame-rate. Either that or the calculations will start to introduce significant lag to the gameplay.

Another obvious side-effect of this technical limitation is that it will ultimately restrict the maximum size of the battles that you can run before the system starts slowing down to a crawl. More units always equate to more calculations…

By designing the game with 30 second game turns, it has provided me with a fallback option of performing all the calculations for a turn up front. This will however result in a progress bar appearing with the words ‘Thinking…’, just before each turn starts.

I believe that this is a small price to play to enable one to have battles of any size and to allow one to have more leeway with regard to the calculation timings.

In fact, it will allow me to add complex Artificial Intelligence (AI) routines to the game without having to run into the 16 millisecond constraint. Of course, I can’t go completely nuts, as no one wants to wait for an hour whilst the computer works out the next turn! :P

Having a progress bar between turns also has the advantage that it provides a cue to the user that they are about to switch from planning to operations – something that’s not readily apparent right now.

To implement the above system properly will be technically challenging, especially as I see it as an opportunity to add replay functionality to the system. Replays would essentially be leveraging very similar functionality to that used for a pre-processed game turn, so I might as well code the system so that it does both.

The upshot of this is that the next tranche of work is going to take longer than usual, as a result the next update on this blog may end up being some time away. But do not fear, I will be beavering away!

Original post here: https://ancientarmies.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/out-of-time/
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 01:22:23 AM »
Adventures in Hi-Fi Line of Sight!

Posted on February 21, 2016

It has been a while since the last update as I had decided to take a break from home development to free up some time for my many other hobbies. However, I’m now back!

My intention is not to add any new functionality, at least not just yet. Instead I want to concentrate on fixing all known issues and putting what I have through the wringer to make sure that everything is working as designed.

The first thing through the wringer was the Line Of Sight system. This system had many speed optimizations made to it, so it had to be thoroughly tested. It was during this testing that I found many subtle bugs.

Some of these had been introduced as the result of the optimizations, whilst others were down to the quantized nature of the terrain and the units (the old system could only handle elevations and unit heights in whole numbers only).

This limitation inevitably lead to heights and elevations that got rounded up. For example, a 1.8 metre high infantry unit would have its height rounded up to two metres.

There was code in place to try and mitigate this limitation, but it kept failing with many corner cases. So I kept adding more and more code, only to find other corner cases creeping out of the woodwork.

In the end I decided that instead of fighting the system, I would change it. As a result, terrain elevations and unit heights can now be specified up to 5 decimal places – assuming that you really want to do that sort of thing…. :shock:

However, the more practical upshot of this modification is that units with a height of 1.8 metres are treated as units with that height, with no kind of mathematical workarounds having to be implemented! As a result, many of the subtle bugs that were in the system have simply disappeared! :)

Line of Sight is massively important to this game as I want to simulate the confusion of battle. The only way I can do this is by showing the player exactly what they would see on the battlefield if they were there. Hence the need for the high fidelity Line of Sight routines.

The Ancient Armies Line of Sight system has so many unique features that I have put together a new video that can be viewed at the end of this blog post.

For those that are challenged in the video department, here are some screenshots showing off some of these features:

The fidelity of the Line of Sight system is now so high, that the eye level for the Line of Sight tool has to be set. This is because different units can see differing things due to their varying eye levels. This screenshot shows the tool in its default mode which is simulating the view from an Infantry unit.

Ancient Armies Line of Sight has many relatively unique features including taking into account that units can block Line of Sight. It even simulates the observer's eye level! Furhermore, terrain clutter is also taken into consideration - as a result, hills now take on the same tactical importance that they used to in battles of antiquity.

There are three Line of Sight modes in Ancient Armies:

1. Leader Based Line of Sight: Everything you can see is soley from the perspective of your leader.

2. Side Based Line of Sight: You can always see your own units, and you can see everything that they can.

3. No Line of Sight: In this mode you can see all units from both sides, regardless of where they are located on the map.

Read on: Click Here
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 11:20:07 PM »
Say hello to Chronos!

Who or what is Chronos?

That’s a good question…

But first lets digress a little…

Many moons ago I tested Ancient Armies with a full Macedonian and Roman Army. The results in terms of performance was a bit of a let down. The whole game ran like an arthritic slug…😕

I had known ahead of time that there might be issues as Ancient Armies has to perform a lot of calculations for the high fidelity Line of Sight system. The complexity of these calculations is compounded by the fact that the terrain supports infinitely zoomable bezier curves. All these calculations can suck up valuable processing time.

Luckily, I had designed the system to run with 30 second turns. This mechanic provided me with the option to add a turn processing phase later on should it be needed…

In  this case, it was most definitely needed!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »
What have I been up to? The image below provides the first clue:
The Cores Cannea Take No More!
Posted on July 10, 2016

Can you spot the subtle difference?

For those of a technical persuasion you may have noticed the Commit hashes (6bb0638 and 6815d6e). What do these mean?

In my case, it is an outward indicator that my backend source control system has changed!

Once upon a time I used to use Perforce, but I have now switched to using GIT.

The old and the new!

GIT has many advantages, but here are a few:
•   Faster, a lot faster…
•   Allows me to easily work offline – especially useful for my laptop.
•   Each machine has a copy of the repository, thus reducing the risk of losing source code.
•   Simple and easy branching – this makes coding experimental features a lot safer.
•   The Master repository is on an always-on fully raided NAS drive.
•   Switching between machines is very easy unlike the error prone Perforce.
•   Better Visual Studio integration.

The move involved a little juggling as I wanted to retain all my source code history. However, thanks to the wonders of the internet I have managed to achieve just that!

In terms of changes to Ancient Armies itself, the Line of Sight (LoS) system got a major overhaul, as have a few other subsystems.

Why the overhaul?
The original LoS system was designed to run asynchronously in the background whilst the game was running. This system ran very well where a game turn had enough real time in it to allow the LoS system to perform all its calculations at a high enough frequency.

However, I ran into three issues with this system:
1.   Not very scalable. The more units on the field, the more time it required to run its calculations. Given that a turn duration was more or less fixed, this could mean that the frequency of updates to the various units’ LoS would decrease as the unit count increased.
2.   Time compression reduced its effectiveness. The time compression feature can actually reduce the amount of time that a game turn plays out in. This impacts how many LoS calculations that the system can carry out. The higher the compression, the smaller the number of calculations run and hence the lower the fidelity.
3.   Chronos. The arrival of the new Chronos subsystem meant that all game calculations are now carried out prior to a turn. These calculations are relatively quick, which meant that even for a 1:1 time compression, the LoS Calculations never quite got  enough time to perform as often as was needed.

LoS is complicated in Ancient Armies. This is for a variety of reasons, but includes such things as the lack of coarse hexes that other games have, uniquely and variably sized units and also terrain that supported curves.

To its credit, the LoS system has been highly optimised over time, so for what it actually does it is relatively quick. But alas, for our needs, it was not quick enough.

How to get around this?
I decided to take a two pronged approach:
1.   Firstly, I would alter the code to auto-detect and fully take advantage of all the processor cores that are available on a user’s PC.
2.   Secondly, I would instigate an auto-scaling algorithm that would automatically reduce or increase the fidelity of the LoS system based on the user’s machine’s capabilities and the size of the battle being played out.

Of the two approaches, the first was by far the most difficult. My code would need to be able to run in multiple threads, in parallel, on all the cores of the user’s CPU.

Achieving this whilst maintaining data integrity and synchronisation across all the processes turned out to be a non trivial task.

Luckily, the .net platform can help out here, but alas, you need to be on at least version 4.0 to take advantage of the facilities on offer. However, up until now I could never get Ancient Armies to work on .net 4.0…

One day of hard graft later and I can report that Ancient Armies is now running against version 4.61 – the latest available to me  8)

In all, I have been working solidly all weekend to get this new and improved system up and running. Here are the fruits of my labour:

This is Ancient Armies on my gaming machine. As you can see, it successfully detected all 8 cores and spread the load between them! (The peaks are from a turn’s LoS calculations):)

It doesn’t look like much, but to have the ability to detect the number of processor cores and spread the work out amongst them took a lot of effort.

The upshot of these changes are that Ancient Armies can now fully take advantage of modern machine hardware architectures and will scale itself appropriately.

Even in terms of LoS calculations, the system can now detect how well it is doing (or not) and automatically scale the fidelity of the LoS system based on the hardware and battle size.

This means that the system will now always be quick, regardless of hardware configuration. The new system will also work well across all time compressions and battle sizes too! In fact the system has never been so fast or so accurate!:)

To provide further options for the user, I have also added an options screen where they can, if they wish, override the automatic settings for the LoS System:

The new Line Of Sight options screen.

The new options screen also provides plenty of information for each setting so that the user is empowered to tweak their systems to their liking. That said, the Auto mode is so good, that for most people, I would just leave it there!

That’s it for this week!

Hopefully VR won’t prove to be too distracting….

Laters

RobP

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
Satellite Imagery & Contours!

Posted on July 17, 2016

https://youtu.be/bPJ_FkvZwoU?list=PLAWNvkDrHeDHNiw2YnT-p5mFwKZ7dOukb

This is a quick video to show off Ancient Armies' new contour system within the Atlas mapping engine.

These contours are primarily designed to allow hills to be easily integrated with satellite imagery and other overlays. That said, they can also be used on standard maps to provide a different stylistic slant.

This week has been one of giving the system a good and thorough testing to make sure it is in a good position for the next major phase of development.

It saw many Line-Of-Sight bugs squashed. It seems that these were introduced as a consequence of the addition of the new Chronos subsystem.

It also saw the testing of other functionality that hadn’t really been put through the ringer before, including satellite mapping/overlays….

Some of you will know from previous blog entries and videos that Atlas – the mapping engine – supports a wide variety of mapping overlays, including satellite imagery.

When I went to test this functionality in the actual game, I found that it didn’t work😐

The issues at hand were trivial in nature and it wasn’t long before the satellite maps were available for use in both the main game and scenario editor.

However, my joy at fixing the bugs was short lived when I noticed a slight design flaw in the system….

The hills….

It seemed that there was no aesthetically pleasing way of including hills in satellite imagery. Sure you could add them, but this lead to a problem:

Option 1 – Show the hill and puke! or… Option 2 – Hide the hill and not know where it is.

The user has to either leave the artificial hills visible on the map, which fails aesthetically and obscures much of the underlying satellite imagery. Or alternatively, the user could hide the hills. They would still be computed and available, just that they are hidden from view.

Whilst the latter option works well in terms of aesthetics, it fails in terms of usability. There is simply no easy way for a gamer to know where the hills are!

In fact the only way to work out where the hills are located is to scan the mouse across the map whilst reading the terrain output on the status bar at the bottom left. Not very user friendly at all!

To resolve this issue I decided to add contour lines to the system. This would allow a player to easily see where the hills are, whilst at the same time preserving the aesthetics of a satellite based map.

Coding these contour lines was fairly challenging, especially with regard to the elevation numbers. These had to be aligned directly on a contour and be facing the right way regardless of orientation.

To make things a little more tricky, the system would also need to calculate where to put a large enough gap into the contour line to prevent the elevation numbers from being obscured!

No problems!

Changes would be needed to the Atlas mapping engine and to the map editor. The game and scenario editors would not need touching – the rather neat architecture of the system will allow these two applications to automatically pick up any mapping enhancements with no code changes😎

After a lot of hammering away this is the result:

Hills! Now with contours and elevation numbers!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
Zed Said ‘No!’….
Posted on July 24, 2016

Whilst putting the new contour system through its paces I noticed a particularly annoying bug:

See the bug?

If you look carefully you can see that the contour is drawn over the unit and not under it as expected.

Fixing this bug resulted in a major re-write of the contour system.

Why?

Basically, Direct-X has an issue where it treats lines and polygons quite differently with regard to Z calculations (depth). Especially if one is using any kind of bias.

Of course, I didn’t realise this straight away and spent a number of hours banging my head against the wall trying to work out what was going on! After all, my contour lines Z values were calculated to draw them under the units and not over them.

Once I made this discovery I realised that the fix for this issue would be quite major:

The fix was changing from drawing lines to drawing triangles…

This might seem like a simple change, but calculating the triangles’ corner points to fit the requested bezier curve is not an easy problem. Luckily, I had already solved this issue with my linear terrain features, so I could reuse many of the algorithms from that section of code.

With most of the contour system re-written to work with triangles rather than lines, I then set about fixing other issues…

First up was contour clipping. When one draws a hill contour it should be clipped so that it fits the map. Alas, I had forgotten to test this aspect. So I was a little surprised when I saw this:

Whoops! That’s not supposed to happen!

The hill was being clipped, but not the contour! Had I not re-written the system, I would not have been wise to this issue. Anyways, it is now fixed:

Contour lines are now clipped to the map boundary.

Whilst in the contour system, I decided to update the code that deals with the elevation numbers to add a small enhancement:
Large contour elevations now have commas put in them for that more 'authentic map look'. (click for a larger image)

Large contour elevations now have commas put in them for that more ‘authentic map look’.

Although the re-write sucked up a large amount of time, the one positive thing to come from it, is that we can now set the thickness of our contours! From very thin to very thick…

On the plus side, I can now manipulate contour thickness….

I’m not sure why anyone would want contours this thick, but hey, the system can now do them!:)

Back in the main game the new contours perform flawlessly:

Contours – now in their ‘All-Fixed’ Edition!

Notice how the units now appear over the contours? – Perfect! Just wish that it didn’t require a re-write to fix…

That’s it for this week’s unexpected tour of the contour system.

Laters

RobP
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Started by Asid