Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: Kick Starter canceled - Hang in there  (Read 6443 times)

Offline A Canadian Cat

Kick Starter canceled - Hang in there
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:01:29 PM »
All the following is meant in the spirit of dust your self off and get back up and is offering a helping hand.  Before you are ready just read the title and come back to this later.

I imagine that was a difficult decision but probably the best move because it really did not look like you were going to make your $ goal.

At any rate postmortem time  :P .  You have some indication of concerns about graphics and you can certainly work on that (I'm willing to help out some there) but content of the KS pitch might have also been an issue.

One of the naysayers (sburke called him Eeyore - LOL spot on) brought up some issues with the content of the pitch (http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120711-kickstarter-for-new-operational-layer-game/?p=1630386)
Have they come up with a basic design? They didn't show it to anyone publicly. They had a big list of features they wanted, and a couple of map images. I didn't see even a mockup of what the game would look like though. No UI design, just a mention of PC/Mac/Mobile. No indication that they have any idea how difficult it would be to reconcile PC/mobile conceptually, let alone technically. Multiplayer mentions 16 players. How do they propose to do that? Are they going to have a central server for people to connect to? Will it be the largest PBEM hot potato in history?

My suggestion would be to create a pitch that answers some of those questions:
  • Show more than just maps - more parts of the screen put it in a Mac / PC or mobile like frame.  Show off how the play will proceed.  By that I mean with either proto type screen grabs or mockups.  Save the explanatory bubble graphics for outside of the fake screen grabs.  In other words screen shots are always just screen shots any extra explanation is in the text.  What you want is for people to look at the pictures and "see" the product.
  • Discuss the issues of multi platform.  Clearly the PC / Mac differences are a bit of a misnomer since it should be clear that it will be exactly the same game but running on your choice of computer.  But what about the mobile platform will it be the "same" or a less featureful version (perhaps just a viewer).  Just make the statement so it is clear - cause clearly some people are a bit thick.  OK actually you have to assume we are all a bit thick and spell it out so we don't make bad assumptions - such as - that you have not thought about it.
  • Discuss how single player will work.  People want to know that single player is part of the product - users will probably start with this so why not the pitch.
  • Discuss how two player will work. Probably lots of people will play this way (heck the whole ladder system on sites like theblitz are predicated on that).
  • Discuss how the multi player will work.  If it is a centralized server or hot potato just convince people that it will do the job.
  • And close out with what is left to do and what the KS $ is going to be used for.
Your past KS pitch had a little bit of #1 and implications for #2 and #5 with #3 added in afterwards.  Getting back to the thick people reference,  I think the problem with your pitch was that too much was left to readers to fill in.  So they made assumptions.  People like me can see the solutions to all those issues (easily actually) people like Eeyore  see all that as unresolved and look for more stuff to worry about.  Worries on top of their worries.  You need at least some of the Eeyore's to see all their worries addressed and back you.

Regarding item 1 - the UI look of the game.  I am not sure where you are with programming.  If you have some UI stuff programmed then by all means use it as a base.  If not I have seen UI mock ups being done successfully on white boards (with camera snaps hots), hand done sketches scanned, Word documents using the built in drawing tools and Power point using builds to fake menus poping up etc.  Clearly white board and hand drawn sketches only work if you are dealing with professionals.  Eeyore will have a fit of worry over them.  But Word, Power point or some other drawing tool can create something that these guys can see that looks real enough that they can "get" it.
My suggestion for the next time (if that is what you want to do) is to put together the pitch and send it to a few of us (you will be able to tell who is a good candidate from this forum) and we can try to pretend we are Eeyore and find the worry points and you can polish the pitch form that.
Good luck,

Ian
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Kick Starter canceled - Hang in there
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
Some great points Canadian Cat.

The issue of making people understand is an age old one. Here’s how I would try to address it.

Make your presentation to someone who is not involved in any way with the development. Perhaps someone who has not heard of CO. Afterwards you can ask them questions to ascertain what they understood/misunderstood. They can ask you questions also. The point being your presentation should answer as many questions. In fact all key questions and concerns.

I would take the above approach because sometimes you can be so close to something and assume others know or understand as much as you. You should never assume.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
Yes, a good way to check.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 76mm

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:42:06 AM »
One criticism which I think had some weight was tiering for the contributions; $60 is what you'd expect to pay for a completed game, but in the KS campaign people were paying that much for a game in the early stages of development.  Also, as some pointed out repeatedly, getting the right to receive non-existent DLCs for a non-existent game is not much of an incentive.

Also, on the low end I think we could have given more to the $10 contributors; why not include their names in the game, rather than reserving that for the high-dollar contributors?  Its only a line in a database after all, why not throw them a bone?

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tactical Wargamer

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »
So sorry things didn't work out. Still hope you guys can get this bad-boy off the ground. $60.00 was fine....I treated it as a pre-order  :)
Keep up the great work.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Saturday Evening LAN Wargaming Group for the past 25 years 1900hrs Eastern Standard Time North America

Offline 76mm

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 05:59:44 AM »
I was surprised to read on the BFC forum that somebody thought that pledges were committed even if the overall goal wasn't reached, which of course is not the case with KS.

Next time I guess we should make that point 110% clear on whatever forums we post on...
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 06:17:48 AM »

Next time I guess we should make that point 110% clear on whatever forums we post on...

One should never assume anything. I would make the point. There may be people new to KS especially considering this product so best to make all information clear.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »
Yeah, I agree there should be a fair amount of attempted education in specific forums. I will add a small narrative in the KS writeup too. Anyway, my time is short at the moment, but I have conducted my list of lessons and learned and I have incorporated most of what you have discussed. I will revisit this soon!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tactical Wargamer

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »
I was surprised to read on the BFC forum that somebody thought that pledges were committed even if the overall goal wasn't reached, which of course is not the case with KS.

Oh I didn't notice that :)
Nice...although I have yet to receive a refund.  ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Saturday Evening LAN Wargaming Group for the past 25 years 1900hrs Eastern Standard Time North America

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
There is nothing to refund because it never took your money....  Just not assuming you are joking :D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: